Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Axle manufactures

13K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  reptillikus 
#1 ·
Ok so after reading the archives, which are pretty old(2008), I'm wondering what everyone's running in their sas Dana 44 & 60! Here's a picture of a Yukon Chrome Moly. Passenger frt outer!!! Check out this break! Looks like its cut right in half with a laser. I say it's a defect!:argue What your opinion? Every other axle shattered. This one and where it broke inside hub assembly without breaking unjoint which by the way is a Yukon 760 super joint! Would like to here from you all.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Ones time a guy told me that all axle "blanks" are made by the same company. He said that the blanks were made stock or high strength. The aftermarket axle company's just cut the splines and grind bearing shoulders and such.. But all the after market axle company's are just BS as far as claiming theirs is the strongest. I'm not saying I can confirm this. Anybody else heard this?

#8 ·
But all the after market axle company's are just BS as far as claiming theirs is the strongest. I'm not saying I can confirm this. Anybody else heard this?

Not true. I know a vendor in tight with Yukon, and their original chromo line is not the same as their 'extreme' line so thats two different blanks right there. There are various other vendors who have their own suppliers for making the blanks too. Thats not to say some vendors dont share blanks; Yukon was guily of being one of the companies buying chinese chromo D44 blanks several years back altho im told they no longer do.

A big thing with the shaft's strength is also what method, and how well, it was heat tread afterwards.

#7 ·
Check out this break! Looks like its cut right in half with a laser.
I say it's a defect! What your opinion? Every other axle shattered.
This one and where it broke inside hub assembly without breaking
unjoint which by the way is a Yukon 760 super joint!
Would like to here from you all.
Failure analysis is a branch of steel metallurgy a guy can spend their
life learning. Seems easy from the outside but quickly gets involved
when you get into it very far.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble. ;)

That looks like to me a fatigue failure, and it being chrome-moly
steel makes me feel like they ain't heat treating 'em worth anything?

What's weird is how Dana's people are like experts at heat treating tho.

If your particular setup allows (makes?) the shaft bend with every
revolution then there's where one problem is. Can you fix that?

>shrug<

Alvin in AZ
ps- Heli's post showed up while working on mine. Wow that would sure
explain a lot about "Dana's people" -if- the axles were basically out of
their hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.