Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Wrong starter?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Alvin in AZ 
#1 ·
Alright, so, I've been looking at a bunch of starter related threads and haven't found the exact info I need. First off, here's what happened to my starter:

Now, in looking up starter issues, I've seen explanations from a floating flex plate to having the manual transmission starter instead of the AT starter.

Apart from the 1/2 sec. starter grind once the engine catches and I release the key, I'm assuming that the starter does, in fact, disengage. I don't hear any funny noises under normal running.

NOW, it seems that various parts resources do not correctly list the part numbers for whether or not they are for an AT or MT. The official ford parts website has both starters, but does not list which is which.
1) SA-734-BRM
2) SA-738-ARM
Both of these starters are for my 1986 351W with an AT. does anyone know which part number is the CORRECT starter for an AT? I've read all over that parts stores give them the wrong ones.

Furthermore, if you'll look at the photo - this appears to be the wrong starter, entirely. the part number is D2AF-11131-CA? I gather it's from an old mustang or an old F100 (yet it's so fresh looking). Can anyone tell me if this starter is the wrong starter or if it's just another version of the correct starter (so that I can narrow down the cause of issue)

My plan is to get the proper AT starter and shim it, despite people saying that it's not necessary. Can't hurt, right?

See less See more
#4 ·
How does your flexplate look? That could also cause your problem.
fixed. there's only 2 ring gears in a bronco, 1 in the front differential, and 1 in the rear.

#5 ·
For the love of God make sure it's for an AT..

you can compare the two starters...MT and AT...MT has a snub nose look to it and the AT has a longer nose

I went through 6 starters....trust me...the parts guys may not know what they are doing or it is a wrong starter in the right box...it happens..

#6 ·
Good point Ranger.

Selecting the correct Ford part number is important as the automatic and manual starters are not interchangeable. On the automatic Starter, the drive gear has a longer nose and the drive gear extends 3/8" further in order to mate with the recessed flywheel ring gear. If the shorter throw manual Starter is installed in an automatic, it will not engage with the flywheel and simply spin.

Also could be damage from "Starter Run-on" due to incorrect wiring or failure to remove an included Bus-Bar.

For more information, see this link: How To Properly Wire Your PMGR Mini-Starter

Automatic

Manual

Bus Bar

#7 ·
thanks guys - I figured the AT vs MT thing out with the help of the other starter threads. the correct automatic transmission starter is the one listed above (post #2) as per the Ford parts desk person that I talked to. Of course, trying to track one down locally is a different story when everyone tells me what I'm trying to look for. Instead of telling me they have that specific part #, I get told that "dude, they all fit. don't worry about it."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.