Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

headers

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  BigPetesBronco 
#1 ·
I have a 94 bronco with a 302 efi im not sure if i want to convert to a 351 carb system or not but can anyone suggest some headers that would be compatible with both engines so im not wasting money if i swap motors id like to be able to use the same headers if i swap motors also any more suggestions as far as compatible perfomance parts would be appreciated

#8 ·
There really isn't much gain for the cost.
Cheapest way to go is port out a stock OEM Ford manifold.
Dyno tests showed only a 5hp gain with headers over stock manifolds and only 2hp gain over ported stock OEM manifolds on small block Fords all other things being equal. That's an expensive HP mod.

Some guys also complain about fitment issues with headers.
Although if you buy better quality they seem to fit better.

I went with a full Bassani system; ceramic coated headers, high flow cats and stainless exhaust. Not for any expected gains in HP but because I had a cracked exhaust manifold with other leaks in the exhaust system and shot mufflers.

I did it because I wanted a replacement that I would hopefully never have to repair or replace again. But it was expensive. I think at the time the parts ran me about $1200 for the system and I've heard their prices have gone up.

#9 ·
what mods can i do to gain a little horsepower that are compatible with a 351 im just trying for a little more power not anything fancy but im scared to invest money in this 302 if i swap to a 351 id like to be able to swap the parts if i swap motors

#10 ·
Couple of things going on here.

First off, there are plenty of performance upgrades for the 302, so if the only reason you want to swap is for more power it will be cheaper to just upgrade what you have.

Secondly, if you are intent on the swap then I wouldn't recommend you go carbuerated. You will lose HP, mileage over the EFI and carbed motors can have problems off-road when the truck is tilted where fuel injected motors don't have this issue.

And if you are committed to swapping to a 5.8 I would refrain from any performance upgrades to your 5.0. You can find anything you need for swap from another 5.8 donor vehicle since this was a factory option.

#11 ·
Efi us more work but is better that is why you see guys doing efi swaps over carb. Plus if you have smog where you live you will never pass switching from efi to carb. If you are intent on going carb efi headers will not work for carb since egr tube, heads would be the only things that you could reuse. I hear there's a lot of potential in the 5.0 if you build it right bit me I'm a displacement guy so if I were you I'd just save for the 5.8 swap plus parts on that ie. Edelbrock truck intake and heads then think about exhaust.

#13 ·
the mods for the 302 are just about endless,you need to decide what direction you want to go with the truck,off road,DD,speed demon or what.Then you can put together a good combination for your rig.

#16 ·
do a ford motorsport "B" cam a good set of heads,1.6 roller rockers and 24lb injectors and mass air flow sensor calibration,then you can get the bigger throttle body.the factory intake works great with some mild porting.

#17 ·
With 200k on the motor, I would start saving for another motor. Decide on a 302 or 351, buy one then do research and start buying parts for it. Have it rebuilt and swapped in. I personally wouldnt put anymore money into a motor with 200k on it over what it takes to keep it running (unless you pull it for a rebuild).

If your trans also has 200k on it, you may very well have to rebuild it after you swap in a fresh motor.

#19 ·
he asked what parts to make more power,i would go with the 351 swap he talked about doing earlier my self.although i have 220,000 on my 302 and have done several things to it.as long as you have good compression and you check the motor over completely,you can build a high milage 302,but if your thinking about doing a swap anyway then go with more cubic inches,no replacment for displacment.

#23 ·
it all depends on how hot you wanna go with the motor,but most of the parts for either are very close in price,i'd say you might have an extra $200 in the 351 but the power difference is well worth it.

#24 ·
It all depends on your budget. A LOT of stuff can be used on both motors and many parts are relatively inexpensive. But, if you put a lot in to a high mileage motor, it may or may not give you a huge amount of life, and the extra stress some HP parts put on worn bearings may end up reducing its life more quickly than you thought.
Since they are basically the same block (the 351 has 1" more cylinder height to get 351 cid with the same diameter piston) on the exterior the intake is wider than a 302, and the exhaust will often not fit the same because a 302 is a little narrower and shorter. However, the cost a rebuilding a motor (unless you do it your self) may well be comparable to a new short/long block from your choice of vendors. They are not hard to rebuild, but you will have to farm out the machine work and that adds up to a few dollars.

#26 ·
327k on engine and tranny

Ive got a 351w with many many miles. Still solid as a rock right now, but this has all been good advice. For now i am lifting it, getting it re-geared and putting the Bassini ceramic headers with some Flowmasters. The only mods to the engine have been MSD ignition coil, distributor, and Accel wires. Even though shes still runs strong, i wouldn't put any money into the engine itself. Haven't found a forum for dual exhausts yet, but any input on whether its a wise idea to switch from single exhaust to dual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.