Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How do i do this?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Versatile 
#1 ·
Doing repairs on Tailgate. Wanting to install new motor and be able to crank the window up and down with tailgate wiring unplugged. Can i run two wires from the motor to the front of truck to a electrical source and then use a three way toggle switch etc to raise and lower the window?
Tell me the right way. Temporary due to winter and the cost of tailgate wiring and installation costs.
Thanks for looking

#3 ·
Thanks Steve. I posted in the FLAME FREE ZONE. I am a total mope on reading electrical diagrams and cannot understand it. Someone needs to make it easy. I am sure that a refresher for us Mopes would be appreciated by many. Thanks

#4 ·
Yeah, I know where you posted - that's one reason I DIDN'T FLAME YOU. If you can't read a wiring diagram, what exactly were you expecting? That one is about as easy as they get. The only easier ones have colored wires.

Here's the easy answer: no. A common toggle won't work without relays, and if you can't read a wiring diagram, you can't build a circuit no matter what's in it. Either fix it back to stock (the easiest fix), or pay someone to do it for you.

#5 ·
+1
There really is no easy or temp fix for the window. Except for the safety switch in the tailgate.
Are you sure it's the switches that are bad and not the safety switch or the motor? The stuff isn't hard to diagnose, just need a test light and a piece of wire for the safety switch.

#6 ·
I agree with Steve and Ewgoetz as far as fixing it correctly. But for temporary use you can run enough speaker wire (I used 12g) to go from the tailgate motor wiring to your battery. Make sure to give yourself some extra slack. Then splice into the red and yellow wire with each side of the speaker wire. (Make sure to disconnect the factory wiring harness FIRST). Once you have done this and made sure to disconnect the factory harness you can test your motor by putting one lead on your positive battery terminal and the other lead on your negative terminal. Common sense applies here. Be careful not to short anything out and only apply to terminals long enough to get the window in the desired position. I had to do this to verify whether or not my motor was shot or if it was just the factory wiring. Turns out it was just the wiring. And following all of Steve's links all is well now!:thumbup

#7 ·
No need to run wires to the battery to test. Just use a 12v or higher tool battery. I've opened lots of tailgate windows at the Upull with one of my 18v cordless batteries. I carry a connector for the motor plug with a foot or so of wire left on it when I go, and it's really easy to test/work on my tailgates when I have to.

#8 ·
Thank you Cheesehead. That is the info i really needed. Sometimes it it better if the so called experts just stay out of it. Some like to beat up on the newbie or the guy that has for gotten so much. I did pretty much as you just said. New motor is in and the window is back in and got it up for the winter. I was told by an expert also that i cannot use a starter button and i have had one for three years also. Go figger! lol

#10 ·
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I ran around a couple of months with a speaker wire strung from my tailgate motor to the front so I could open and close the window!:toothless Then when I had the time and knowledge (I gained from Steve) I got mine working properly. G/L

On a side not. Don't be too hard on Steve. He comes of brash and rough around the edges but he makes you think/learn for yourself. At least he did me. Steve has a plethora of knowledge to share. He's just not the spoon feeding type. If you put in some time looking over his links you will more than likely find everything you will need. The rest will probably be hidden in the search here. ;):rockon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.