Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

86 bronco fuel problem

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Hydecotsi 
#1 ·
Okay so my aunt gave me my uncles old 86 bronco he bought brand new. It's been sitting up for quite a few years now. I am going to restore it but first I gotta get it running. I am not the best mechanics but not the worst lol. It's not getting fuel pressure at the rail causing it not to start. When I turn the key I hear no pump. I have tried the new relay and still no luck. I have also jumped the plug the manual says to ground out and the relay clicks and I still hear nothing at all. So what I am confused on is do I need the low pressure pump (in fuel tank) or do I need the high pressure pump located on the frame rail. Also I could not locate the reset switch I've searched this thing up and down and so has my dad and we can not find it. It is a 5.0 4x4 fuel injected.

#6 ·
Can u post a picture of it? I still can't find it. I got the tank out today ordered parts last night. Should be in by Friday. I went ahead and ordered both pumps cause when I pulled the tank the fuel was dead and it was brown. (Rust) I've gotten everything cleaned up and I'm waiting on parts now. Hopefully that's what was wrong. If so ill have a bronco at the cost of fuel pumps....not to bad lol

#8 ·
Couple thangs bout' that in-tank pump muh friend

First off it was almost always the deteriorated wiring leading up to the tank what stranded me. Theyz uh connector within 10" of the sending unit, right up over the axle. Betcha them wires iz gone right there.

I wuz wearin' a white Levis shirt last time it happened and I had to crawl under on a muddy shoulder and twist the broken wires together to git'-a-goin' . Wrote the shirt off and in 3XLT that's right expensive !!!!!!!

I didn't have another so's I cleaned the corrosion out of the connectors, replaced the brass socket and Mcgivered a sealant job onto it and it's been working ev-a since;

Harness was so baffed I spliced a Mopar plug onto it (hasn't rejected it yet) so I could disconnect it as needed.

Here it is all "sealanted up" and installed onto the new sending unit/in tank pump;

Best be aware that for teh same price as an in-tank pump (which you may not need as it's probably a broken wire), y'all kin git yersef both the in tank pump AND the new sending unit.

I mention this because it's VERY likely (on an 80-86) that your gas gauge is totally wonky and reading wrong on account of a baffed sending unit.

Airtex sells both together in one for right around $100.00.

Read up on the install here;

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/2bigbroncosdixie/users/users/registry/4970/77293

and the tank swap/drop here;

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/2bigbroncosdixie/users/users/registry/4970/56533

Havin' done all this more times than I care to admit, at the side of the road, in my garage, yard, etc, I'd highly recommend a Steve83 trap door kit !

Gettin' a tank dropped and re-installed in your garage is one thang. Tryin' it at the side of the road, in the middle of the night, in bumf@#k nowhere isn't something you want to do.

His trap door makes life a whole lot easier

Sixlitre

#9 ·
Okay here is the up date. New tank installed, new low pressure fuel pump, and new high pressure pump. They still will not come on with the key but if I jump the plug under the hood the both come one and truck will start. I have tried 3 different relays and can't get them to come on with the key and I've also rest the switch. Still nothing so what do I need to check to get them to come on with the key hope someone can help me out here

#10 ·
Oh Boy Hydecotsi

this here is bringing back memories and not good ones. Reach down under the back of the steering column with a 90 degree pic tool or screw driver and draw down on the actual white plastic starting switch, while your other hand is a-turnin' the key.

You could have an out of adjustment starter switch or connecting rod (to it){it ain't contacting the switch} or a dud switch.

Sixlitre (just a-stabbin' in the dark with just enough information/knowledge to be dangerous)

#11 ·
On my 86 5.0 the fuel pump relay is on the engine side of the firewall, drivers side, between the fender & steering column. I only found out because of squirrels nesting in that corner & chewing the wires off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.