Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Looking to do a swap

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  RebelPride2009 
#1 ·
Okay so I know its not a bronco, sadly mine went to the scrap yard(rotten back half of the frame and blown trans). But now I am working with my 96 F250 XL 351w and e4od trans. 4x4 extended cab. It has around 281k on it and is solid as a rock. I noticed today after a week of towing and hauling about 2400-4000 pounds of scrap metal multiple times a day that I am loosing transmission fluid from my bell housing :banghead :banghead either the pump seal or something else, im not sure, it doesnt look like it has been pouring alot out but my fluid level is low and smells like its burning up:whiteflag i have paper work of the trans being completely overhauled just under 2 years ago, about 35k ago.I was going to bring it back to the shop that did the work but they are no longer in business. I have been obsessing about doing a zf swap to it for sometime and now I am looking for the transmission. But my problem, I have looked at 5 different ZF trannys, my problem is none of them are 4x4 trannys. :doh0715: I have been hunting craigslist for anything within 300 miles of me, Im not sure what im doing wrong but what is the 4x4 version of the tranny, I have not the slightest clue as to which one is the 4x4 model. Its getting colder out, and if I can get my hands on a transmission soon, the sooner i can get the E4-oh-shit trans out. I have only came across the ZF s5-42 transmission, what is the model type for the 4x4 ZF transmission?

#5 ·
Okay well then I know where to get the transmission itself. More questions are coming, 1 can i run the T-case that I have now on the ZF trans? and 2 if i dont have the bell housing, Im gonna take a shot in the dark, but would I be able to use a bell housing off of a 2wd zf transmission for the 4x4 zf?

#6 ·
Your t case will work, 203,205 bw1356 elec or man. The bell housings however are cast into the case so theres no swapping of them. Bummer i know so you need to find a sb bolt pattern 4x no matter what. There is always the option of a devorced t case but that opens up more issues.

#7 ·
e4od needs a trans cooler, atleast a 11x7 and a remote filter. Btw put in a drain plug in your pan and your e4od will be the simplest trans to change the fluid on since there is a torque converter drain that is easy to get to. mercon is $11.50 a gallon at walmart, I've even seen some big lots having mercon for $3 a quart.

#8 ·
for the 351w you need the zfs5-42. the other ones (i forget the numbers) are for the big blocks as far as the bellhousing is concerened. the diesel has different gear ratios in it as well. read my transmission swap. it's the same swap you're wanting to do. click on my bronco build up below and i believe the link is posted in there somewhere.

#10 ·
I actually have read that entire thread down to the last period, you did an outstanding job:thumbup very thorough and which is pushing me more towards wanting to do the swap. I just have to find a donor truck at a junk yard with all the parts that im going to need. And once I do your thread, will be most of my reference to this project, it has to be one of the best ones that i have read yet.

e4od needs a trans cooler, atleast a 11x7 and a remote filter. Btw put in a drain plug in your pan and your e4od will be the simplest trans to change the fluid on since there is a torque converter drain that is easy to get to. mercon is $11.50 a gallon at walmart, I've even seen some big lots having mercon for $3 a quart.
I have a large aftermarket trans cooler mounted on it along with the radiator. The only thing that is not on that i wish was is the remote filter. My 93 bronco had one and it was great, used to change it every 2 times i changed my oil. And since i have discovered that apparently i just overheated my trans, probably from pushing it too hard going over mountains with a ton of scrap metal:doh0715: I am going to flush the fluids, and swap the filter out this week and try to keep it going as long as i can, well at least till I can find my donor truck.

#9 ·
I just swapped in the '90-F250-parts-truck's EEC with the ZF. :)
I have -no- idea what your '96 will need that way. :/

---------------------

The F250's EEC wanted a different resistance to a certain smog
part than what was on the '91 Bronco, so swapped that too. :)

The point to that is, there's a bunch of little things like that you'll
eventually need/want and a parts truck is a cheaper way to buy
a transmission or other major part anyway. Wrecking yards can
set on their parts with high prices and wait for a sucker and no
use playing their game, is my way of looking at it. YMMV

Ain't this a pretty sight... ? ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps= x2 Life Lizard's post #8 :)

#11 ·
Finally got a break with hunting for a parts truck, I found a guy who is only about 25 minutes from me with a 4x4 F150 w/302 he is parting out. its got a 5 speed that is said to have the low 1st(granny gear) and all the components are there. We did some negotiating via the phone, and i got a final purchase price of 450 for the trans, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, and maybe the transmission cross member. :beer:beer im gonna go up next week and pick up the stuff. is there anything else that you guys can name off that i would need to pull off of this truck when i go up there?

#12 ·
That truck is probably gonna have an M5OD and not a ZF5. The M5 is not nearly as strong. Plus I believe that the flywheel is different for a 302 and a 351.

#15 ·
r.e. putting a drain plug in an E4OD pan... The only way to properly change fluid in an automatic is flushing it through the cooler line. The filter in an E4OD is large enough never to need changing for the life of the tranny. If you change one, cut the old one open and look inside it. You'll never waste time and money pulling an E4OD pan again.

#16 ·
I like the drain plug idea, but my uncle who is a master transmission mechanic of over 30 years went crazy on me when i said i wanted to flush the fluid out of my trans, he says it will just kill the trans because whatever particles are in there are actually keeping it working. :whiteflag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.