Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

LOST KEYS TO BRONCO WHAT TO DO!?

35K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  445 FE Bronco 
#1 ·
I have two lil children, and my lil boy loves keys to paly with. He got ahold of my Bronco keys and we cannot find them around the house. Probably tossed them in the garbage, blah blah blah,...

point is, i've called several locksmiths in the Cincinnati area and all of them told me I have to "drill" the ignition out and replace and they would not do that.
So I'm thinking,...is it possible to get into the column, bypass the use of the stock ignition, and put in a on/off switch to start the truck with? Basically hotwiring the truck instead of using a key. OR even better, somehow i can get a ket made without an original. Any ideas will be helpful folks
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
No, if you can't get a key, I'm pretty sure drilling it out is the only option, because your steering is locked.

Are you saying the locksmiths you called, can't make you a key? Are they stupid? It will cost you, but it can be done.

#4 ·
If by some fluke you know where the truck was originally sold, the dealer's used to carry the spare cut codes for making spares. There is a SLIM chance they still have a record of it.

#5 ·
On mine ('96) the door key and ignition are the same. Any locksmith with half a brain can pull the door cylinder and make a new key. I had one made for my rear window that way. He came to my office, took out the cylinder, made a new key, put it all back together in < 30 mins for $70.

PS. after you get it made, splurge for the $1.29 and get some spares!

#6 ·
On mine ('96) the door key and ignition are the same. Any locksmith with half a brain can pull the door cylinder and make a new key.
No go, the pre '92's door keys match the tailgate's round key. Get's confusing switchin' between drivin' the '88 and '92, as I never seem to have the right shaped one in hand. :banghead

Anyway, sounds like you need a better locksmith. There is a lot goin' on with the ignition switch to just bypass it with a switch.

Adrianspeeder

#8 ·
I lost my keys for my 91 F150 and this is what i did, I took the steering wheel of and used a flat blade screw driver and vise grips to turn the cylinder in the run position, lock is trashed after that point , but look at a hayes manual section 12-6(in the blue copy) and follow directions to remove cylinder. But the key has to be in the run position to remove it!!!!!!!! The lock cylinder was like 8.99 at Advance auto but that was a couple of years ago

#9 ·
I grabbed mine with a pair of chanellocks and broke the lock in it, I drove around with out keys untill a year ago.

#10 ·
..if I dont turn my ignition back far enough...I dont even need a key to start my truck, I know ford dealerships can replace the keys because I lost mine a while back but they want like $90 because they have to reprogram some bs to make it work! Fortunately I found them first and promply got a spare made... good luck man!

#12 ·
find a locksmith that also repossess cars. I have witnessed a repossession in 3 mins with no tow-trucks or keys. The guy picked mid 90's the ford-based motor home door in less than a min, and made a key for the ignition with snippers in two mins. Call around to every locksmith in the area and tell him you need a key made for the ignition on the spot. A good locksmith can make a key by looking at the marks the cylinder makes on a blank.

#14 ·
A good locksmith can make a key by looking at the marks the cylinder makes on a blank.
Yep, my dad had a key punched just like that for his old F-100. Locksmith was an old timer that came out with a quick punch tool, stuck the blank into the ignition, put it in the puncher, and had the key done in maybe 2 minutes.

#13 ·
Do you still have the plastic folder in the glove box that has the owners manual in it? Mine had three metal tags in it as well. I didn't know what they were until people here told me - one for the vin, and one each for the key codes.

#15 ·
you could always see if the dealership can look up your codes with the vin

i've drilled ignitions before but i really don't reccomend it, it's kind of a PITA. take your time get the bit straight so you don't ruin other stuff, you'll have to pop off the chrome wing type part drill it till you can get a screwdriver to catch and turn it. then remove the cylinder and get a new one to pop in there

#16 ·
Sucks that you lost your keys though man

#17 ·
you've got an 85? im guess from your info.

if so you can just take the colum cover apart and pull out the long white slide switch. use a flathead to push it all the way over to start and release and its in run. Steering will be unlock. This trick works on prettymuch all fords from 91 back i think. this way you don't have to drill the ignition out....never really heard of that.

when you get the time go to the dealership with your vin and proof of ownership. they can cut you a new key, or at least give you the the #'s for it.

I've done all the above before, should work fine

#21 ·
I am a locksmith in Cali, if you have a Locksmith that specializes in Automotive, they can call number, to which they subscribe, they give the Vin#, they get the key code and cut a key. Also ask the locksmith if they do not belong, do they have what is called Determinators. This will give them the code, or they can impression a key. Also if all else fails, there is a key code, usually on the cylinder or the column, The smith should know how to get to it. If the locksmith will not make you a key, they simply do not work on cars. I don't as the cost was getting to high, one code reader is as high as $5k and works for a few cars. . Good luck, let me know if it help. I will research the code location see if i can't find it for you.

#23 ·
wow you're a pretty "awesome" locksmith :wtf There is no such number to call and get key codes. Ford didn't keep codes for anything older than a 96. Therefore no go with an 85. Lets see when did Ford start putting key codes on their ignitions? Oh that's right they never have. FYI 85's didn't have chipped keys...news flash, Ford started their PATS system around 97, no need for a special programmer. Oh and one more bit of info for you, Determinators are only for wafer locks NOT pin tumblers (but I'm sure you already knew that since your a locksmith) If you really are a locksmith then you frighten me and I can only imagine the BS you have told customers.

Any locksmith should be able to impression a key for this lock. It may cost you a bit to have them come out though. So unless you want to pull the column and take it to a shop. That may be your only option...other than drilling out the cylinder. 1/4" bit will work just fine, drill to take out the 5 pins that are in the cylinder.

Oh and Elf...did you ever find that code location? :histerica

#22 ·
Okay, I know some of this has been said before, but I'll put my two cents worth in here too. My cousin had a Ranger that the lock cylinder failed in, and it's ignition switch is identical to ours. The cylinder just wouldn't turn. Because it wouldn't turn you couldn't put it into the run position, meaning that you couldn't remove the cylinder the proper way per the tech manual, giving him essentially the same problem you have. A new cylinder with new keys is cheap, like $10 or so. Drilling out your old one is also easy. The manual tells you to turn the key to run and then push a paper clip up into this small hole in the column to move a small rod upward. Once you've pushed up that rod you can just pull the whole cylinder assembly right out of the column. Well, if you can't do that find a drill bit that will just fit inside of that small hole, IIRC it'll be 1/8" or smaller. Drill up into that hole until the little rod mechanism is obliterated, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" or so of drilling. Don't worry, the rod you just destroyed is part of the new cylinder and is being replaced anyway. When that rod is gone you can just pull the cylinder right out. Very easy. New one slides right in and your done.

#26 ·
:stupid

But I loose the damn keys in the house!!

My original ignition cylinder died a few years ago. You had to jiggle it a certian way to get it to work. Well, when I took the Bronco in to get the reman tranny put in, I failed to mention this to the dumbass techs. They replaced my damn cylinder for me. I am still pissed about having to carry two keys and having ugly plastic ears on the column instead of the old metal one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.