Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Dual Alternators

12K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  BigBlue&Goldie 
#1 ·
Has anyone ran twin alternators? Just looking for pics of brackets. I'm running a secondary deep cycle for the winch and lights and I would like it to have its own power source.

#9 ·
Thanks, I got thinking about it and for the cost of doing it I'll just do a 3g swap. A guy locally has 3 alternators in his jimmy and 4 Gell batteries. Friggin cool setup. I'm working on a way to mount a secondary battery and isolator setup instead.

#11 ·
Stereo systems.... When I used to compete in IASCA, it wasn't out of place to see 2 or 3 alternators to run all those high power amplifiers(Along with 10-20 batteries.. lol).

Heck, I could drain my battery in less than 10min @137db. Headlights would literally SHUT OFF as the bass hit. Was considering a 2nd alternator before it was all ripped off.

#14 ·
I have Ryan's 3G 160 set-up and it works fine with HID's, Stereo, winch, and rock lights. I run a single Walmart Everstart Maxx 850cca battery and at some point will buy another and will run them together with an isolator just for peace of mind off-road. I have used Motorcraft batteries, Optima yellow & red tops, and Ever-Ready's but for the money the Maxx with it's 7 yr 3 yr free replacement warranty has never let me down and can be returned to any Walmart in the U.S. and you know there's tons of them in every town. The isolator will let you run them both or use one for wheelin' and winchin' and rockin' out in the camp site :rockon and still have a charged one to get you home while it charges up the first one. I think the thing I like best about it is you can use one battery to "jump start" the second in an emergency! Really dual 850's and a 3G 160 should be all you need anywhere with way less clutter! :thumbup -Kevin-

Check out Steve's post above, http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/905321, and his link to his Supermotor's site with the Ford isolator wiring schematic....;)

#15 ·
Just as everyone else has pretty much said, stay single with a Hi output 3G unless you are looking at doing something like an onboard stick welder setup or something like that. Unless you're running a setup that's requiring massive amounts of power like an emergency vehicle, I doubt going to a 160a 3G wouldn't solve any problems

#16 ·
The reason for doing this would be for redundancy. (if your alt quit, your other takes over) lets face it, you could have two batts and a 160 amp alt. but if that alt quits at night, you could run the battery's down before getting home. (depending how far you were.)

#18 ·
The new trucks, the diesels at least, have a dual alternator option.

The 80-96 diesel trucks with dual batteries have the battery terminal on the passenger side for the positive with a "T" with battery cable coming out both sides. One side goes to the starter and the other right to the second battery's positive terminal.

I plan to add second 3g and 2500 watt power inverter (continuous wattage).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.