Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

42 IROKS vs 44 ROCKERS

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  OX1 
#1 ·
Wasn't planning on new tires, but a guy off the classicbronco
list sent me a gift cert he was not using for 25% off for any
set if pitbull tires. I got the 44 X 19 X 16.5 rockers.
Currently I have 42 IROKS.

I was worried the 44's would be way too wide, but it turns
out they are less than 2" wider at the widest point over the 42 IROKS.

Not sure if the mog 404 axles will hold up to 44's or not, but I
might soon be finding out. :toothless

Current 42

44 Rocker

Right now I have 2" front springs, combined with approx 5" from
the portal lift, means about 7" lift total. Measuring, I found out I had
2" more lift in the back than the front. This is what the front would
look like if I swap to 4" springs with the 44's (will also let me put
in the big block with less worrying about oil pan interference).

True height of the 42 (unmounted to truck W/10 PSI air)

True height of the 44 (unmounted to truck W/10 PSI air)

width of 44

width of 42

True width of 44 bogger (about 18 inches)

True width of 12.5 wide 33" BFG AT

See less See more
#2 ·
Saaaweeeet! I tried a set of 42 Rockers and hated the ride, but I daily drive my rig. The Iroks ride better as they have two steel belts, my 40's didn't flat spot and ran truer. No matter if your rig is primarily for trails. What do you think of the Rocker ride?

#6 ·
I only had one tire and only drove 4 feet. So far, they ride great.......:haha

go with the rockers, i have always thought it was an awesome tire (granted i have no experience here)

plus (although it will be more work), it sounds like the 4'' springs and giving enough clearance for your big block would be beneficial

btw, your rig is one of my favorites
I own both already.

I really bought the 44's for a 74 early bronc I'm building. It is just very tempting to slap them on this 79 for now.

I am very concerned that 404 mog axles may not hold up to those 44's in the rocks. That and the fact I'm not sure I have enough gear to use them right now.

Hard to see with your width measurements. I measured 33x12.5x15 BFG ATs and got about 12.5". With 35x15x15 TSLs I got around 14.5".

Anyway, let use know how they do. I've heard good things. They look pretty good to. I'd like a set, but I don't like dropping the money for brand new tires.

If you've had regular TSLs, let us know how they compare; ride, mud, rocks, etc.
The IROKs were way better in the rocks over the TSL's. I'm told the rockers are in the 62 durometer hardness range, making them close to reds. I'm hoping they stick that well too.....
This is a durometer chart someone posted on pirates.

Maxxis 762: 45
Maxxis 399: 51.5
Maxxis 356: 61
Red Label: 61
Blue Label: 70
Irok: 71
Comp Mickey: 58
Pitbull: 62

I think you'll like the rockers. I have a couple friends on them, tho not 44's.

Too bad you run a 16.5 rim, I'd make you an offer on the 42's. :beer
Keeping them for now. The rockers may just sit in a shed until the 74 is done, not sure I can afford to start breaking 404 axle parts. I have some spares, but I hope to never use them

#3 ·
go with the rockers, i have always thought it was an awesome tire (granted i have no experience here)

plus (although it will be more work), it sounds like the 4'' springs and giving enough clearance for your big block would be beneficial

btw, your rig is one of my favorites

#4 ·
Hard to see with your width measurements. I measured 33x12.5x15 BFG ATs and got about 12.5". With 35x15x15 TSLs I got around 14.5".

Anyway, let use know how they do. I've heard good things. They look pretty good to. I'd like a set, but I don't like dropping the money for brand new tires.

If you've had regular TSLs, let us know how they compare; ride, mud, rocks, etc.

#8 ·
Backspacing is whatever a stock hummer H1 rim has, something like 7 inches I think. Hard to compare since I'm running mog axles with custom hubs that add about 3" track per side for the disk brakes. I believe my WMS to WMS is somewhere near 76, or about 7 inch wider than a D60 front if that helps.

#9 ·
I say put em on, and lets go wheelin saturday :rockon

Not as wide as i thought theyd be, and im definitely curious to see how well they stick to the rocks. And you know you wanna find out just how sticky they are. What better to compare to than my 42 Iroks?? Cmon, you can have em all on by friday, just in time to load up and get ready for rausch on saturday. You know you wanna.......

:toothless :toothless :toothless

#10 ·
HMMMMMMMMMMM..............Your a dick!!! :haha

Who's going??? :popc1:

PS, only problem I see, is I heard the rockers have real thick beads, so I may not be able to use my beadlocks.

#13 ·
yours are narrow... i just got some in a 15 inch wheel.. mine at the widest point are about 19.75 inches wide when on my wheels. here is a mounted and unmounted pic. 44x19.50/15

also the bead is just a tad shy of an inch thick

EDIT: What did you end up payin for them total with shipping after your 25% off?

#14 ·
yours are narrow... i just got some in a 15 inch wheel.. mine at the widest point are about 19.75 inches wide when on my wheels. here is a mounted and unmounted pic.

also the bead is just a tad shy of an inch thick
I'll take it, I really did not want tires that wide, I just wanted the traction and the little extra height.

#18 ·
Thats why I got em now, even though I won't really need them for a year or 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.