Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

transmission question

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  frankiev 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an 88 bronco xlt w/ 5 spd manual trans . At the time I test drove it it had a pretty load exhaust leak at the right donut . I had the leak fixed yesterday so now that I can hear clearly I notice that the transmission is quiet on 1-2 shift but when I get to 3rd gear and above I hear a grinding noise thats stays constant while accelerating .Strangly sometimes , maybe 50% of the time ,it makes the noise while in second also. When I take it out of gear and coast its quiet . The person I purchased it from had the trans rebuilt and clutch replaced a couple of thousand miles ago . It dosent grind while shifting so I know its not the clutch .
So to put it simply . !st gear sounds perfect,no grinding at all .2nd gear is a sometimes . 3 4 and 5 are everytime . Am in for trouble? What could it be ?
Thanks for any help

#2 ·
Check fluid, I have a similar wine in mine when at 1st-2nd. I notice that it does this when cold and when my fluid was low du to a leak on input shaft leak. I'd like a zf5 but the mazda dog has worked fine for almost 4 years for what I use it for. I've towed wheeled and hunt not to mention daily drive it to work. My pilot bearing was also shot by the way last time I pulled motor last month.

#3 ·
Thanks... On the list for tomorrow . Its not a whine its more like a wheel bearing type grinding . Im thinking (hoping)maybe its fluid also since the grind in second is intermitten whereas 3 4 and 5 are everytime . Did I mention that 1st gear sounds perfect . No grind at all ?

#7 ·
Are you sure about that 4th gear business? ;)
4th gear bypasses the cluster gear, see?
Cluster gear bearing noise is common is why I ask.

My ZF has that and has "torque rattle" from its loose bearings too.

My '75 F150's T18's got twice as many miles as the ZF and hasn't
got any of those noises! The ZF ain't all it''s hyped up to be, IMO.

How many miles the Bronco got on it?

Alvin in AZ

#8 ·
Clutch engagement point

88 Bronco 5.0l 5spd manual . Previous owner replaced the clutch when the trans was rebuilt . The clutch engages very high up on the pedal ,almost at the very top . Im having trouble getting used to it . Is there any way to adjust this so it engages at a lower point on the pedal travel ?

#12 ·
Is there oil in your transfer case? Bad u-joints will make a growl on power and quiet when off power as well.

#16 ·
There's a reason it's sealed - it keeps water & everything else out of the fluid, and the fluid in the reservoir. Cutting a hole in it is like cutting out the floor to let a rain leak drain. If you have a leaky slave, fix the problem - don't create a new one to mask it.

#18 ·
There's a reason it's sealed - it keeps water & everything else out of the fluid,
and the fluid in the reservoir. Cutting a hole in it is like cutting out the floor to
let a rain leak drain. If you have a leaky slave, fix the problem - don't create
a new one to mask it.
I've always had a can over the lid so rain don't get in its little vent hole.
But that brings up the next question.
What rain? LOL :)

As far as fixing the slave that's been planned to do for almost a year along
with replacing the bearings and a few gears (including their synchro sleeves)
in the ZF. I got the new slave and ZF parts that long ago.

Looking like it's gonna have to wait another few months and got tired of
adding brake fluid almost every time we drove it so made it, so, now only
have to add it every few times we drive it and it's now more convenient
to add the fluid to, since that rubber baffle/seal don't have to be removed
first. The wife's not complaining about the new setup, so why should you,
Steve? ;)

The slave is toast.

The master is cheap and easy to replace if it gets damaged by dirt.
(got an extra anyway)

So what's there to protect at this point? :)

Naco Culo ****** en AZ
ps- Oh BTW, I -drilled-holes- in the floor to let the rain out! LOL :)
Did that in the bed of my '75 F150 when I first got it, drilled my
dune buggies (that had a floor) and drilled holes in the groove
under the plastic threshold on the Bronco. Anymore questions? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.