Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Fuel problem maybe?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeremiah Johnson 
#1 ·
I have a 93 ford bronco with a 5.0L.
It stalled right while i was driving it and i had to tow it home.

I havent done anything yet, but so i know what to check i'd like to ask a few questions.

It seems like its not getting any fuel like at all. got three things to check (that i know of im a noob) The feul pump,filter, and pressure regulator.

Heres the problem. in the jumble of solenoids near the feul pressure regulator the pink vacuum line is broke right off. I dont know what that will do. if any of the solenoids are not hooked up will that keep my truck from starting?

Thanks for anyone that plans to help me :thumbup

#2 ·
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? if not turn the key on and listen for a HUMM from the tank to verify your fuel pump is running, if you can't quite hear it, have some one help you. Have them turn the key on while you put your ear to the tank. Hear anything? If not have them crank it and see if you hear the pump kick on. If you don't hear anything you need to check the electrical supply and ground for the pump. If it kicks on, depress the shrader valve on the fuel rail in the engine compartment DONT SQUIRT YOURSELF IN THE EYE and no smoking, gas isn't something to treat without respect. You should have some pressure built up in the lines if the pump is running. If you seem to have decent pressure, it squirts out a bit, then you could check for spark next. If you have spark then I would try and get my hands on a fuel pressure tester and get a reading. You might have only 10 to 20 pounds wich isn't enough to run on, but it will squirt out the valve a little. Hard to diagnose some things with out the proper tools;). If the pump is humming but you have nothing at the rail, I would disconnect the supply line from the rear of the filter and hit the key again to see if you have anything there, if not sounds like your pump isnt really pumping, just running. Hope this helps you start somewhere, let us know what you find out. I'm sure Scott or another guru will chime in if I'm wrong or run out of suggestions, there are great guys on here! Good Luck! :popc1:

#4 ·
Maybe with the cold snap try running a bottle of heat through the gas tank? So you can hear the pump hummm when you first turn the key on and it fires up now.But stalled out when driving right? Old and plugged up fuel filter might be the culprit too.
Always use the KISS principle, go over the basics first before randomly replacing expensive parts

#5 ·
For initial diagnosis I would pull codes first to see what's indicated elec/electronically possibly with the ignition or sensors though there aren't any fault codes for fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressue issues that's vaccum, located on top of the fuel rail test for psi with fuel pressure guage 37-40 range.

Use a small rubber vacuum hose to
"bridge" a repairs and make sure everything is hooked up correctly, it's not that hard and make sure the IAC,ECT, TPS all functioning properly as well, they're fuel managers.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

#7 ·
You really need to test the pressure from a pressure tester. Just pressing the valve ensures you have gas in the tank and that's it. It doesn't tell you if the fuel pump is working properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.