Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Cheap way to get 19 mpg - 5.0

8K views 75 replies 47 participants last post by  mkiefer 
#1 ·
So I recently drove from Buffalo to Long Island, about 1050 mi round trip. On the way down I was averaging about 12.5 mpg :doh0715:. I bought the truck with about 143k miles so I knew the engine needed some cleaning/maintenance. I only did two things to get 19 mpg. First I ran a full tank of Shell gas. I then filled up one more time and added Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner; http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10003-Cylinder-Lubrication-Injector/dp/B000ARPVOI.
On the way back up I drove about 65-70 mph and got 18.88 mpg.

#2 ·
if it was that easy everyone would be getting 19mpg. something else was awry, your right foot, hills, wind, craptastic fuel quality, etc.

no fawking way you get a gain of 6+mpg from putting in one bottle of fuel injector cleaner.

#30 ·
:stupid

A Bronco fuel tank is 33 gal.

Im one of few guys getting 18+ consistantly and and I didn't get there with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner.

Something else id like to mention. The OP has 31" tires. so his PSOM should be set to 9.18 to account for this. I wouldn't be surprised if its still set to 9.72 like mine was. That will definately throw the figures off.

#3 ·
I knew my injectors were bad, mostly because the engine had such high mileage. I agree these gains aren't going to work for everyone.
As for gas quality, on the way down I used 4 different brands of fuel with a consistent 12.5 at 70mph. I stayed at 65 mph at one point and got 12.8, but after the shell gas and lucas oil treatment, I got 18.8. people may not get that much gain, but it should help.

#4 ·
just because injectors are high mileage doesn't make them bad. my minivan had 263k on the injectors and it ran fine, got 20-22mpg in town and 25+ on the highway.

I say something else was wrong. Besides, i have a hard time buying that a 5oz bottle of lucas will treat a 33gallon tank.

#6 ·
Well first of all I have a 28 gallon tank.
Second of all, I don't care whether you believe it or not haha, this is what I did and these were my results.
I drove 378 miles and used 20 gallons of gas. Measuring mpg? You're kidding? Fill your tank, drive, fill your tank. Divide miles driven by gallons of gas used.

#7 ·
ok, 28 gallons. still, 5oz of cleaner to 28 GALLONS...think about that ratio for a moment....

your math may be correct, however you'd be amazed at how much just a few hills and a decent headwind will absolutely murder your fuel mileage.

#9 ·
I took the New York Thruway down and up, so i went over the same hills. As for the wind, I agree, but both days I drove had mild wind conditions.
I'd just like to point out that I also have an exhaust leak, and once thats fixed, I should be able to get slightly better mileage than this. I don't know why people think these get horrible mileage, these things are supposed to get 17mpg on the highway.

Also, I had bought the 33oz bottle in the link, and 1oz treats about 5 gallons. I'm guessing the treatment is more common in a 5oz bottle?

#10 ·
I have periods of time where I get extremely good economy with my Bronco, but they're not consistent. I think the E4OD helps a lot, it definitely keeps the RPM's down. I once thought I was getting close to 20 MPG, but after further and more accurate testing, I was getting more like 15-16, which is still good in my book.

The idea that the Lucas oil could make that much difference on its own? I'm thinking you may have had something plugged up, or you were getting a bad signal from your O2 sensor and the oil affected the reading... but I don't think your measuring methods when you filled the tank may be accurate. How are your sure that when you refilled the tank that you got the exact same amount of fuel in? A half gallon would change your numbers considerably. I'm not calling B.S., I'm just thinking that something other than the oil is responsible for such a drastic change.

#11 ·
Man I hope it's consistent, I have to make a few more trips back and forth. I think my foot had a lot to do with the difference as well. The method I used to measure the fuel, was to fill it back up 28.1 gallons. Thats the maximum capacity for my tank. I may be off by .0XX but that would only make a slight difference in the solution.

#13 ·
Perhaps. I drive a 93 5.0 with an E4OD, running 31.5x10 tires, at 65mph rpms are at a little under 1900. Cruise control doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Actually looking it up now, it says I have a 33 gallon tank. Do these things have a reserve? Not like the size of the tank matters. I only need to know how many gallons I put back in.

#16 ·
The cheap way? Take the Bronco emblems and stick them on your car.

#17 ·
if you put 28.1 gallons in a true 28 gallon tank means two things. 1.) the pump you went to fawked you. 2.) you would have never made it to a gas station.

#24 ·
i get almost 17mpg...and i run 33s and a soft top...:goodfinge

#25 ·
i get a cosistent 18+ and when doing 60 i can get up to 22. but i have a 96 that has a 2nd O2 sensor which i htink helps alot. im running 35s but i also have 4.10 gearing

i agree that fuel injector cleaner probably didnt do that. also you would probably feel a hell of alot more power if it did make you gain that much. whenever i do anything like that i add it when the tank is almost empty, not when its full and twice the size of a regualr cars tank

#26 ·
i get a cosistent 18+ and when doing 60 i can get up to 22. but i have a 96 that has a 2nd O2 sensor which i htink helps alot. im running 35s but i also have 4.10 gearing
the ONLY thing that 02 does behind the cat is make sure the cat is cleaning the air properly. it has nothing to do with A/F ratio.

#33 ·
Not to knock a guy, but Shell gas????? Fuel system treatment????? That much of an increase????? SHELL gas????? Gas is gas. It is either 10% ethanol or it isn't. No way a certain brand fuel company's gas made that much difference. Sorry, just can't see it.

#62 ·
Each brand of gas has it's own additive, so your right gas is gas until it gets to the gas station.

#35 ·
I get 14. Was the OP drafting Big Rigs? The added fuel injector cleaner will get you better mileage, but.... it is bad for the ozone. I know because I put some in my tank once, and flew down to the smog shop and they gave me a gross polluter receipt :doh0715:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.