Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

91 bronco wont start!! electrical problem!!

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gagegreene97 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I own an 1991 Ford Bronco with a 351 EFI. I recently replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pump relay and no luck. When I purchased the bronco . The previous owner told me that i had to leave the ignition switch opened for a couple seconds in order for the bronco to start, I didnt have any issues with it until I was driving it the other day and it just died. I noticed when I open the ignition switch to start it you can hear the fuel pump shutting on and off, and the fuel pump relay clicking. I was reading some posts where it says something about a inerta switch I havent checked this yet but I will later. The bronco cranks over, and has spark. I inspected the harness at the fuel pump everything looked good. Please help with any advice! Thank you

#2 ·
Do you have any frayed or chewed up wires under the hood? Under the dash? I'd look at the ignition switch which I believe is at or around the base of the steering column.

#3 ·
You need to be more clear what do you mean "you can hear the fuel pump shutting on and off, and the fuel pump relay clicking"? When you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump is supposed to run for 1-2 seconds and turn off. that is called priming the fuel pump is supposed to prime. when you turn the engine over for about one second and return the key to the run position does the fuel pump run and shut off again ? or does it turn on and off rapidly?

#5 ·
Pull codes and see what electric/electronic "faults" are indicated...fuel pressure issues are vaccum and won't generate a fault code.

The last time my BKO died while driving with cranking but no immediate restart issues it turned out to be the direct distributor mounted TFI module, test it.

Unless you "touched" the inertia switch I can't see where it would cause a problem....

So you're saying it's dying from fuel starvation, test the fuel pump and fuel relay AND "leaving the ignition switch open for a couple of seconds" is what, turning the key to the RUN position to accomplish.....?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

#6 ·
:madder:bangheadi replaced the fuel pump sunday alonf with the fuel pump relay and fuel filter. when i open the switch to the on position the pump turns on and off rapidly several times but never shuts off. i know the pump has to prime but it doesnt stop. just off and on repeadtly. i also can here clicking noises in the hood. the clicking noises are coming from the fuel pump realy and somewhere by the intake manifold.. dnt knw what to do anymore

#9 ·
youve got a short, your gonna have to check the wire harness from your relay to the fuel pump. ya it sux but atleast youve got some power for now, that will help.

#11 ·
On my 91 when I try to crank it I get nothing the battery's good but when I took the battery cables off to charge it I put them back on and I heard the fuel pump prime but when I try to do it by the ignition the fuel pump doesn't prime I think it's the acuator in the columdo you guys know anything about this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.