Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Dash Removal drama......

60K views 103 replies 16 participants last post by  Ironside 
#1 ·
Well since i have nothing else to do this week, I decided to dive in to a much dreaded project of mine. Removal of the dash so I can fix some issues behind there.

Well I read up on this as best I could find and it sounded like a pretty difficult job. After working on it now for 3 hours, I have the dash hanging. It seems like everytime I think I have it looses, I find another bolt or two, or three I need to remove.

My biggest issue right now is this. All I want to remove is the dash skin, but it seems like all the duct work behind it and a shit wad of electrical is still connected to the skin some how.

Here is what it looks like so far.

This is one of the reasons for going thru this torture. When I replaced the heater core last year, I could not get this control cable back on, there is a tiny access hole that you have to contort your hand to even feel this damn thing, much less get enough leverage to get it back on. Well at least thats fixed now. I can select hot or cold again.

I thought this was the last one holding the dash skin on, but apparently not.....I took alot of cuss words to get this one out too.

I didnt think this was going to be a multi day job, but apparently it is. Good thing I dont have anything to do for a few days.
Does anyone have any suggestions on places to look for hidden bolts or do I really HAVE to take the other stuff out too?

See less See more
#100 ·
by the time i got back the next morning with tools, someone had decided to just rip the dash out with a hammer. It was completely broken into pieces in the cab. Such a shame. You dont see any pristine tan dashes much.

Once october gets here, I will start going back to the junk yard and continue my search. Its too hot to even think about going out there right now.

#101 ·
im lucky, I have a awesome junk yard about 4 miles from me. They usually have anything I need. They used to have alot of broncos, but the last couple of times I was in there, they were all gone. But They always have vans and trucks.

#103 ·
Yo David,
Welcome!
I believe you have a 93?

Next time, for any questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).
■°■
Find out if cruise control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site ; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, how To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Try to set aside tine to participate and Vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome⚠
.Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.