Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Custom 5" flare fenders for 78/79 FSB

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Scoop 
#1 ·
So this is kind of a broncospeed thing, kind of a 78/79 thing and I wasn't sure where to put it - so it landed here. If this is the wrong spot I'm sure the mods will move it. to where it would fit better.

That being said - here are the most recent pics of a project I have been talking about doing for a long time and finally got rolling.

After not having much of any option for larger flare fenders for the 73-79 F series I decided I'd have some made.

Autofab makes a 3" per side flare or a zero flare with 3" taller wheel opening, but since my 74 supercab will get a widened front end and I have a couple other buddies doing the same - I figured we needed another option for fenders.

Keep in mind this thing is just set on the truck for the pics so the alignment/gaps aren't right, and also it needs to be finish sanded before making the mold off of it - but you get the idea.

Let me know what you think.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you got a flat tire.

That being said. Looks pretty good, a little too wide though, unless you are going to be running a really wide tire, then it might look okay. But for the size on it now, it is too big IMO. Keep us updated though, I was kidna thinking something like that for my 71.

#3 ·
yeah - I didn't realize one of the tires I threw on it had a slow leak.

As for the flare - before I took the truck to the fiberglass guys I just put some autofab beams on it so I could fit 35's on it as I wanted to show them the tire size I would be running.

When the truck comes back and the real build starts the suspension will be widened about 3-4" per side and it will fill out the flare.

#9 ·
Yup. Like that without the funky grill or extended bottom to tie into the step (you would see what I meant if you saw a F-500 to 700 next to a F-100 to 350).

I know a guy who made a set for his bumpside (76-72 truck) out of a "big" truck set just like the 1st pic you posted. They took a LOT of work and I don't think they ended up as good looking as I think mine are.

Unfortunately with how the hoods wrap down from the top on these things it is kind of the only way to do it without making a hood and fender combo. I was originally thinking of doing a hood/fender combo like the ones at www.flared-fenders.com but it would have driven cost up too much unfortunately.

#12 ·
You know its not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the build. Main reason is I don't have the kind of off roading to support this kind of build. The fender just wouldn't last long here...:haha

It takes lots of time and effort in a build and I look forward to seeing it finished. Who knows this might be the project that makes me a believer. :thumbup

#13 ·
I hear ya. LOTS of stuff I see around here ain't my cup 'O tea either. 99% of the fab on the mud, rock and trail trucks would get laughed out of town around the desert fab snobs. These huge fenders have already gotten a chuckle from more than one of those guys though. Different strokes for different folks;)

For people like you I'm looking into a eurethene based resin that will flex and not crack.

I hope to have a test set on a buddies 75 rock and mud truck (running 44's w/ 500+ ci motor) here soon. Since I have watched him stuff the tire and crush every set of stock fenders I have given him, he'll be the ginnea pig on the eurethene blend stuff.

Until then I got some picks after a long wait and another 1 day run from So. Cal to Vegas and back to pick up the truck.

I can finally say I have my fenders:thumbup

These pics still don't show off the fenders too well, since the trucks not painted and I had to fake the trakc width, but you get the idea.

Since the front end is still stock width (just under due to the bent beams) I moved the driver side wheel out 4" to give an idea of what it will look like with the widened front end.

Here's one dead on with the dirver side wheel out and pass. side at stock location

And last - I didn't realize I didn't get this angle with the tire moved out - so heres one with the tire at "stock" width

More pics can be seen here
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq260/ChaseTruck754/74 Ford F-100 Supercab/fenders 73-79/

The glass quality and fit is on par if not slightly better than autofab. That's pretty dang rare in off road stuff now a days!

#23 ·
Got it now. Sorry if I'm a little dense - haha.
I'm not a fan of jeeps so never given even a 1/4 second of my attention span to their marketing tactics. Heck - I really don't pay attention to any marketing as I hardly ever watch TV and when an ad comes on the radio I change the chanel:toothless

My response was just that much of the country east and north of here doesn't quite get the "look" these trucks have with the big fenders. Kinda like I don't get the look of these huge mud/rock trucks with the 15" wide wheels sticking way far outside of the fender and nothing to cover them.

Not trying to be snippy/pissy. Just not my style. Hence the "different stroke for different folks" comment earlier.

#25 ·
My response was just that much of the country east and north of here doesn't quite get the "look" these trucks have with the big fenders.
Agree - being both north and east of you I don't quite get that look either. I was out at King of the Hammer in Feb and there were a lot of pre-runner style truck running around. Looked kind of cool, but I prefer the rock crawler look.

Nice workmanship BTW - and I can appreciate that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.