Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

dana 44 ttb used for ifs rear?

18K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  pfun41 
#1 ·
ok i will gladly admit i am a noobie at this but i was wondering if anyone ever thought or tried to take a front ttb dana 44 and create a rear ifs setup with it?

#47 ·
Found this link that I thought was germaine to the discussion.
Although it's designed for performance rather than off-road.

http://www.team321.com/truckirs/TEAM321TruckIRSInstall.html

I was looking at it and with this setup it doesn't seem to me it would be much good for off-road.

Doesn't appear to be much travel in the lower arms.

Not sure how hard it would be to lengthen and drop the lower arms to allow for taller springs and more travel?

Not sure how viable the idea is but the concept has me intrigued.
:popc1:

#53 ·
Those IRS suspensions are pretty cool.
I'm just guessing though that if you started with a IRS out of a Ford expo or exploder it might be easier to modify for a longer travel and to fit a Bronco.

It's definitely an interesting concept.

#56 ·
That is very cool. Looks like the pumpkin sits about 4-6" higher than on a straight axle?

Where did you find that and was there a build thread or information on how they did it?

Btw- is that assembly a stock Expedition IRS?
Just looking at it, it looks like some of it was custom fabbed but I haven't seen an Expedition IRS before.

#63 ·
This was done way back around 05 when the truck was new. I remember reading about it then. There isn't a build thread, but there is a website with detailed pictures:

http://www.fstmotorsports.com/f150_irs.htm
Its also featured here:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_0504_2005_ford_f150/

It was on display at Sema, but they were going to use it as a chase truck for a race team afterwards.
The Irs is from an 05 expedition and the frame rails are the same measurements as the f150. They custom made a 4" lift for it and fabricated trailing arms out of aircraft grade aluminum. They say the IRS has over 10" of travel.

#58 ·
:rolleyes: Other than how close the donor frame was cut to the suspension brackets, that's how woulda did it. :thumbup Find an IRS built for the kind of weight & torque that the vehicle has, and slide it in. :shrug It's already engineered/tested/proven, and has the full support of dealership & aftermarket parts. Why would you do an IRS swap any OTHER way? :scratchhe

#59 ·
Well I think some people like the challenge of fabbing something distinctively their own.

But personally since I am a combination of lazy AND stupid I want to be able to just bolt it on without actually having to use brain power.
:thumbup

#61 ·
Mostly a self- deprecating usage as I am no mechanic by most guys standards on this forum.

But yes, not only do I love what they did, I also love to plagiarize others work, especially when it is a proven upgrade mod.

I would love to see a build thread on that as it is a mod I would love to try someday. :beer

How familiar are you with the Expeditioon IRS?
How much was fabbed to create what they did vs the stock Expo IRS?

#62 ·
No more than what I already said - I serviced a few & did some minor repairs on them at the dealership, but I've never taken one off at a JY. Based on those few pics, I don't see why anything would have been fabricated, other than maybe some spacers between the Ex frame section & the F bed mount points. It looks like the tie rods WERE fabricated, but IDK why. This pic shows the stock black tie rods & rubber center isolators on the back of the crossmember:

This one shows big shiny tie rods & spherical pivots:

Otherwise, it just looks like they cut off the F frame under the bed & spliced on the Ex frame section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.