Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Weld on 78/79 trac bar riser. Any need for this?

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  78-U10 
#1 ·
Made some proto types. These are specific to 78/79 Hi pin Dana 44. Works with stock or adjustable trac bars. Basically we don't care as much for trac bar drop brackets. Just asking for input. Would anyone need this?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That doesn't give it bump steer by changing the angle that much of the trac bar in relation to the draglink? assuming you have a drop pitman arm.
I do like that it would be a good way to fix a worn mounting point in the stock location

#4 ·
The idea is to use the riser instead of a drop bracket in conjunction with a drop pitman arm. We want to keep the angles correct and avoid any bump steer issues.

Another use is to add clearance between the lower trac bar bolt and tie rod when doing a tie rod over. In that case you might skip the drop pitman arm depending on lift amount.

You are right it also takes care of the stock worn out mounting spot.

Thanks for asking.

#7 ·
With 4 inch springs, I regularly stuff the bottom spring cup into the
lower outer edge of frame. Not sure that riser would allow me full travel.

I built a 78 beater many years back with 4" lift on 36's.
I dropped frame end of track bar with a support that
ran to opposite side of frame, tying into stock bolts/plate that
hold upper shock mount (behind axle). Granted that rig
did not have a tie rod over.

I guess it is a trade off of flex vs tie rod clearance (assuming the flip
because without flipping tie rod clearance is a none issue with track bar).

It does seem to me that bumpsteer is just not that big of an
issue on the fullsizes vs the EB. I had street rigs from
stock susp/35's to 9" lift and 44 boggs. Every susp
combo I can think of and never really had bump steer issues.

My 70 EB with 3.5, 33's and perfect geometry still has bump steer,
go figure.

#9 ·
With 4 inch springs, I regularly stuff the bottom spring cup into the
lower outer edge of frame. Not sure that riser would allow me full travel.
I knew that could be a potential issue just from the install I did. We will be testing it out to see how much it could limit travel. What coils are you running?

I built a 78 beater many years back with 4" lift on 36's.
I dropped frame end of track bar with a support that
ran to opposite side of frame, tying into stock bolts/plate that
hold upper shock mount (behind axle). Granted that rig
did not have a tie rod over.
I like the support bar, definitely needed when using the drop bracket.

It does seem to me that bumpsteer is just not that big of an
issue on the fullsizes vs the EB. I had street rigs from
stock susp/35's to 9" lift and 44 boggs. Every susp
combo I can think of and never really had bump steer issues.
I would agree. I think some of it has to do with a better tie rod/draglink design in the first place. The drag ties in much farther near the end of the tie rod. Thanks for the input.

#8 ·
I would seriously consider one if it does not interfere with suspension articulation on the passenger side. From the pics I see a factory bump stop located inches from the mount....

The '78-79 drop trac arm bracket has always been a source of weakness....it multiplies the radial torque applied to the stock frame rail by the axle. I feel the typical drop track bar bracket is a real contributor to death wobble....until now there have been limited solutions. The WH part applies the load to a much more rigid structure at the correct angles.

FWIW I have been looking real close at the clydesdale steering to address the death wobble and general steering response....it is rigid, very nicely engineered, but hard to afford the $890 price.

Keep up the good work WH, Thanks for supporting the limited market that is the 78-79 Bronco.

#11 ·
We'll be testing it out more this week now that this rig is back on the ground.

We knew the price of the Clydesdale was up there, all I can really say is that the price is a reflection of what we have to pay for them. We also know we are going up against rod end type kits in the $400 range. The Clydesdale is very different and very versatile. One of the first ones we sold went to Australia to be installed on a right hand drive 79 Bronco. (It was converted) With that one all the features of adaptability came into play. After the first install we did on the 77 F150 we thought honestly it looks like this is what these rigs should have come with in the first place.

Thanks for the thoughts. We are looking at the 78/79 with an eye to do primarily new stuff. So we are making it up as we go. The challenge here in CA is the smog laws. You can't really do what you want under the hood. If I could it would run better, faster and cleaner. :thumbup

#12 ·
Does that weld to the cast C? If so how does that effect the strength?
A El Kabong said you may want to check with the SAS guys. I know more than a few guys that would have solid axles if someone offered an inexpensive kit using stock and modified stock parts. It would save them all of the piecing stuff together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.