Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

79 to modern tail light conversion. Anyone ever done one?

8K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  xlt79brnc 
#1 ·
So i am looking to update the look of my bronco. I am in the middle of doing a bunch of body work as it is, and thought it might be nice to freshen up this thing a little. I am looking to model the front grill after a modern f250, fill the molding channel in the middle of the body to make it more uniform, grind off the drain trim around the door, and put in modern tailights.

Only issue is i cant seem to find anyone who has converted the old one sided tailight to a wrap around one. Main issue is the body shape at that point. There has to be some truck that has a tailight that would match the body lines. Anyone ever seen it done?

#2 ·
It would be easier to weld in a filler and do a roll pan with Custom taillights . I posted some pics in another thread it's a later model . I'd say frenching ( installed behind the sheetmetal)in a set of something close might be do able ? Maybe clear lenses with red LEDs for a more modern look would be a better choice ? I've never seen the mod on a 78/9 that you are after but have done lots of body mods . My flat black 87 I shaved everything , drip rails , emblems ,handles ,locks and tail lights . Cool idea and lots of tail lights out there .

#11 ·
I found the complete set of clear lenses and individual LEDs for exterior and interior .You don't have to change the lenses but why not while doing the upgrade?

Started a thread with more info
Delet the thread and put it here. It will cut down the search results saving us time. I looked at it by the way good info. Thanks :thumbup

#15 ·
just go buy a newer truck if you want yours to look like one... i'm sure there are plenty of folks looking for a '79 that doesn't look like the new crap they make :p

sounds like a lot of filler otherwise

#16 ·
I agree! The point of having a 78/79 is the old look. Why have one if you want to modernize it that much? Some modern things are good like led bulbs or 3G alt or rear disks, but that's not major changes to the old look

#22 ·
I did this on my 78 because the plastic ones wouldn't fit in the holes any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.