Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

transmission options

8K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Shaker666 
#1 ·
What are my options for a 5spd swap into my 78? 351m with a np203. I'm swapping this into a jeep and I hope the 5spd will b shorter than the automatic.

#3 ·
The shaft on the ZF5 will not work on a M block engine, it is too short.

If you want a ZF put in a 460 at the same time, and a NP205 transfer case.

#10 ·
#13 ·
Both the 435 and T-18 came stock behind 351m/400's. Both 4 speeds with either 6.68 (435) or 6.32 first gear. T-18 is one inch longer than 435. Either will bolt right up to 205 case with correct factory adapter. Do not get a 435 or T-18 froma 2WD truck, will be incorrect output shaft.

#17 ·
NV4500, Centerforce billet flywheel, CF clutch, 205 case. Took a C6 out, NV4500 in its place. YES, custom parts need to be machined, but ALL are available on the 'net. Cheap ? Eh, not so much, pay off ? BIG TIME. The OD made a huge difference for ME with the set up I am running. As far as just unbolting something out of another truck and dropping it into your bronco ? See Above ^

#30 ·
Ummm... I just discovered that in 1981, Ford produced the Bronco with a 351M mated to a Ford RUG (or T&C) 4-speed transmission. This transmission is a 4-speed OVERDRIVE unit. Would this not be a great option for those wishing to convert their T-18 to overdrive?

#33 ·
I am running a NV4500 using the advance adapter kit. I purchased the trans already rebuilt and upgraded for the fifth gear issue on ebay. It is a pricey swap, but it is really nice having overdrive. The granny gear is low and slow. Don't use first gear hardly at all, just like the NP435. I cruise at 1800 rpms on the highway in fifth with 33's.:smile2:

#34 ·
Man, that is sweet. I'm not really sure I'm prepared to convert my Bronco to a manual trans, though. Sounds like a right PITA in itself. I am more inclined to do the 400 adapter to AOD/4R70W and use a 4R70W transmission mated to the stock NP205. I don't know a single person that's done this however, so a bit leery of jumping into it!

#35 ·
I have a heavily built aod sitting on my garage floor waiting to be mated up to my 460 and 205 case
my aod has no lock up but retained the OD and uses the 4r70 closer ratio gear set, and a switch to shut off OD
it is a lentech unit
pricey and hope it is worth it
probably be a while still as truck is nowhere near ready for it yet
I will keep everyone posted when I finally get it done hto

#36 ·
I've run my 4R70W without lockup and it's not much better than my C6 without it. I would definitely look into re-engaging the lockup of the converter as that is the main point of that transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.