Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Help! Wheel bearing exploded and HUb Stuck on

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  huggyb1972 
#1 ·
The passanger side wheel bearings went outon my 91. I have taken the hub retaining nuts, retaining rings and everything out. I can not get the hub and rotor off. I used a puller and it will not budge (I even used a cheater bar and nothing) I think I basically got it so hot it welded the bearing to the spindle. Can I get the spindle off somehow.

Any ideas?

Torche?:banghead

#8 ·
this is going to require new rotor, hub and probably spindles. I cut off the front part of the hib with a sawsal trying to get to the bearings with no luck yet. I can not get to the botton nut for the knuckle. I am thinking I might be able to heat the inner race of the bearings and get it to slide off

#11 ·
I have the same problem going on. I have removed the locking hub, the spindle nut, the piece behind it with the holes in it the other nut, the outer bearing but i can't get the hub/rotor off. I did my other side a while a go and the whole thing came off with a simple tug but this one is stuck does anyone have any ideas? i dont really wanna start taking too much a part like the picture showed. The bronco is a 1993 eddie with auto locking 4wd

#12 ·
I have a hard time understanding. I have had the bearings go on mine and weld the races to the hub and the races weld the the spindle. But I have never heard of the hub welding to the spindle. I cant even imagine that. I mean the bearings (and cages) can disintagrate, but you still can get the hub off. Are you saying the hub doesnt turn? You do have the caliber off? Are you saying the hub/rotor wobbles all over, but doesnt come off? You sure you got everything off the spindle? (some got double nuts with keyed washers.)

#17 ·
did the inner or outter bearing blow? if the inner bearing blew then you can do as steve said. if the outter blew then that wont work. you have to break the wheelbearing rollers. if that doesnt work then you have to loosen the balljoints, break them free then use a sawzall and cut the balljoint studs and replace the knuckle. if you jsut undo the balljoint studs the axleshaft will prevent the knuckle from dropping enough. this is what i had to do on my 96. however my hub had enough play where i could usse a skinny wrench to get the spindle stud nuts loose and save my knuckle.

if the outter bearing blows and the inner race is welded to the spindle, you cant get the hub off. it happened and i fear it every time i have to fix someones wheel bearings. luckily the inner bearring seems to be the most common to blow

#13 ·
I have everything off of the spindle and the hub and rotor just wobble like crazy and can slide back and forth like half an inch but wont come off. The other tire had the cage disinigrate and turn into shrapnel but this one seems to be intact. The rotor and hub just wont slide off and i have both nuts and the washer off of the spindle and can actually see the inner wheel bearing when I look inside.

#14 ·
Then the inner bearing's inner race may have galled onto the spindle. Try to hold the hub perfectly centered & straight as you use it & the rotor as a slide hammer to knock the inner seal out. Then the hub/rotor will come off, and you can work on that bearing.

#15 ·
Then the inner bearing's inner race may have >{friction welded itself} onto
the spindle. Try to hold the hub perfectly centered & straight as you use it &
the rotor as a slide hammer to knock the inner seal out. Then the hub/rotor
will come off, and you can work on that bearing.
x2 :)

Only worked on one of those one time. 2wd Ford pickup. The dumb guy
(office worker;) heard a noise coming from the front wheel "this nut was
loose :/" and so he tightened it down -tight- (loose spindle nut) along side
the road. He drove it on home from there. LOL :) He needed new brake
pads was all.

I cut the outer bearing's inner race with a Dremel on each side and then
pried the two shells off the spindle. Didn't hear back what he did with it
from there. :)

Alvin in AZ

#18 ·
sounds like your going to need a new spindle while you are in there. I have cut the ball joints off with a sawzall and you should be able to rig it up in a press to push the spindle out.

you can also torch the bearings out, it will be smokey and you should do it out side with fire extinguishers handy.

#20 ·
Thanks guys I got a lot of great advice from all of you. I was able to get the bearings off and replace them and get everything back on. Now I have a door to fix, a brush guard to put on and some off road lights and then to hit the trails. Again thanks for everyone who posted advice I really appreciate it and you are all great.

#22 ·
Your recomendation worked. I was able to eventually give it a big enough tug to pop off the seal and the whole thing came off. What I found inside wasn't pretty at all. Also the inner race had gotten stuck and I had to heat it up in order to get it off.

#23 ·
Are you completely sure both the spanner nuts are off. From the outside there it goes spanner nut, retainer ring, spanner nut, and bearing. Hell just use your sawsall to lop the thing off behind the outer bearing and the rest should come off the inner bearing is only retained by the oil seal.

Auto part Text Automotive exterior Diagram Steering part

#24 ·
Huggy the kid fixed it.....

but nice diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.