Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Super confused on parts compatability with dana 44's

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Tullio 
#1 ·
Basically sometime in the somewhat near future i will be doing a sas on my bronco. my buddy has a 79 hp dana 44 that he is selling me super cheap but it doesnt have spindles or hubs. he also has a set of chevy knuckles laying around. What im asking is that is there any way to make the axle complete with the parts is have? I did try searching but I just got really confused.

parts available:
-ford knuckles
-chevy knuckles
-ttb spindles
-ttb hubs
-ttb knuckles
-ttb everything else

#2 ·
I know TTB knuckles will not work on a solid D44 axle

The TTB lockouts should swap between every internal lock out D44 out there for the most part.

#3 ·
i know the lockouts work on all because i currently have the 79 style lockouts on my ttb. i just need to make a complete axle with what i have or for cheap. the axle has everything out to the knuckles. just no spindles hubs or brakes.

#4 ·
I probably would do chevy brakes up front. They work so much better at stopping that the fords. I know a bunch of this stuff interchanges, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

GM made 2 different size spindles, small bearing and big bearing. I know you run GM knuckles, brake caliper brackets, and brake calipers. Ford hubs and rotors to retain 5 on 5.5. but I can't remember which spindle or bearings are needed.

#5 ·
if there is a way to use my ttb brakes that would be awesome. Im in college and im on a very cheap budget. Basically i just want to get it done whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care. I just want to get the solid front under there right before spring and i can always redo/replace things overtime.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
did i ask for a lecture? im obviously not going to drive my truck down the road without any braking. the ttb calipers and rotors work currently so there should be no reason for them to stop working just because they are on a solid axle. Thus why im asking the question if i have the necessary parts for completing the axle and if I do which parts do i need to use. I really dont feel it necessary to replace my perfectly good caliper for a chevy caliper. why replace something that works well enough. i posted this in the noobie tech section to not get flamed and to get a quick answer.

#10 ·
I have read a decent amount of the sas threads on this forum. I know how to do the sas. All I am asking is that is do i have the parts to put together a fully functional axle. Can the parts that i have be put together so that the brakes are not off set, the bearings ride on the spindle and hub in the correct places. All i asked was a simple question as to if they will go together. I dont need to be told what is safe and what is not. ttb calipers will work completely fine whether they are on a sas or on the ttb

#11 ·
what i meant by just wanting to get it done is put together all the necessary parts that i have around to make 1 complete axle and then over time upgrade to the more preferred parts

#14 ·
I paid $127 for my D44, complete hub to hub, even the brake line. You can get better prices. The parts that are missing are not cheap. If you are planning to stay 5 on 5.5" then you might do well to wait for someone to convert their solid D44 to 8 lug and pick up their outers. I already have my 8 lug parts and am just waiting to get back to the states to swap my stuff out. I am also not the only person doing such a swap.

#15 ·
Ok so basically all i really need to complete it then is chevy brake calipers? I can put chevy knuckles, ttb spindles, ttb hubs/rotors, and chevy calipers and that works?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.