Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

engine bogs out when gas peddle pressed

18K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jeffjls 
#1 ·
:banghead:whiteflag

today my bronco was running alright. passed emissions testing this afternoon wich was a pleasant surprise. i took it for a short trailer run. right after leaving the pavement the engine seemed down on power, soon it sputtered out.
it would fire back up sometimes idle ruff some times idle fine for 30sec. once i presses the gas the engine bogs, if i press the gas down hard the engine starts banging, im assuming this is backfire, anyhow engine knoks bangs around then pretty much dies. the revs will sometimes come up when the gas is pressed but only for a shit while then same thing it supters out. a few times i was able to get it to move a short distance before the engine would bog right down. it dosent even have enough power to make it up a small incline. i changed the oil rad fluid fuel filter today and check voltage. i have no idea what the problem is.
dose anyone have an idea? can anyone suggest what i should try next?
thanks guy for your help.

#2 ·
Check your fuel pressure first, should be around 35 - 40 psi key on engine off, then see what it does when you start it up (if it starts. If the pressure is below 30 psi or the pressure drops on start-up, I would say the pump is faulty. Otherwise, while you are at it, pull codes and see what they say, thats a good starting point. Cheers.:beer PS: you DO have fuel in the tank, right?

#5 ·
pull codes, do the KOER AND KOEO tests

#8 ·
:banghead:whiteflag

today my bronco was running alright. passed emissions testing this afternoon wich was a pleasant surprise.
When the tech does the emission tests, did he unplug anything (vacuum lines, sensors, electrical connections)? If they did, that would be the first place I would check.

#9 ·
i had the same suspicion and a lot of time, so i tried to check pretty much every connector i could find.

today i threw in the towel paid for off road recovery and the bronco is currently sitting at a shop..........

when i find out what caused the problem i am planning on posting a fallow up just in case anyone ells runs into the same issue.

thanks guy for all the suggestions.

#10 ·
PLEASE let me know!!!

I had a fine running Bronco until my egr stuck open...ended up turning into all kinds of issues and I even went and put on an edelbrock to replance my Carter AFB because it was bogging. Had a mechanicd 'fix' timing, but now it is still bogging with heavy gas pedal...If I go slow, now problems and once I hit 1500 RPM - she takes off like a Bat out of Hell!!!!

I am about to lose it on the truck, but dont want to go back to the mechanic because everything was good until he 'fixed' the timing and tried to make it run smoother!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.