Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Buying bronco which drivetrain to look for?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cajunrebel 
#1 ·
I am going to be buying a bronco shortly, I am set on a 5.8 as I have a parts one ton with a reman crate with 30k and it runs very strong, if I ever had to swap it would be direct.

Now here's the deal I love the 92-96 but I've read some about the e40d and I'm leaning towards c6

I have a 92 3/4 ton 2wd 5.8 e4od that has yet to give me a single trans problem at 130k

The one ton parts truck is 89 5.8 c6 2wd 4.10 and it screams at 70 mph

Plans for bronco are sas 1 tons leafs with 35s-38s

Will a e4od survive or should I get a c6 bronco?
How about t case differences? Strength wise

Will be a weekend toy, once in a while 15 mile drive to work,with the occasional tow my quad on a 60 mile trip on 55 mph roads.

Not a serious beat the snot out of it wheeler

Would a c6 4.10 with 35s be gutless? What's your opinion on best all around drivetrain

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the e4od would be fine. I had one in mine that had 243k on it with no issues. I sold it to a buddy who is still driving around with that trans in his truck.
The E4OD is not a bad transmission, its just expensive to rebuild. Or more expensive then a C6 to rebuild for sure.
I don't think it would be gutless. 4.10's with 35's is close to what the stock truck would be with normal sized tires.
the BW1356 is a good transfer case, just try to get a manual shift one. I would not worry about its strength.

#3 ·
I like the E4OD choice as well. While the C6 has proven to be strong and simple (at least simple in the sense of comparing it mechanically/electronically with an E4OD), I don't like the lack of OD, it's just so limiting. With the E4OD they are strong, dependable as well and give you more leeway with your gearing (going deeper so no worry on anything being gutless). Only issue with the E4OD is if you do lose one, the cost of a rebuild is much more than a C6.

#4 ·
A built E4OD is pretty darn strong. But you have to keep them cool. I had a Mazda 626, which had a Ford engine and transmission in it, and when Mazda got the design from Ford they got the wrong numbers on the cooling required for the transmission. They put much too small a cooler on the car and as a result the cars had a very high failure rate for the transmissions. Mine had around 22,000 miles on it when I bought it and the transmission was already overheating and acting up. I ended up putting a large cooler and fan on the thing and never had another issue with it. I ran that transmission hard, but I never let the thing get very warm. I know that is a much different vehicle, but the concept is the same. Keep automatic transmissions cool.

#5 ·
What could expected cost be to rebuild e4od with all the goodies ?
Do the broncos come with different t cases like the old Chevys or is the Borg Warner pretty standard for e4od

I'm liking the deeper first gear as opposed to c6

#6 ·
yes, nice 1st gear and on top of that you could easily step up to 4.56's if say you were wanting to run the 35's you mentioned.

You can spend over $3k for a built one. When it's time to do mine I'm going to do my best to keep it at about 3k. You can go cheaper, but if you are wanting upgraded pieces to put in your unit, it's going to be over 3.

Most of the tcases (at least later broncos) are 1356, though earlier ones had several other variants. But the 1356 is a strong unit and was used in all the ford fullsize trucks up through the 1 tons.

#7 ·
Now I have read and read about the vss and I keep confusing myself

If I swap my 89. 1 ton 10.25 4.10 into a 92-96 bronco I won't have odometer or speedo with a psom reprogram? Can't I just use the vss off stock bronco 8.8?
I am not too concerned about rear abs as I believe my 89 doesn't have rear abs
Although I wouldn't mind having the rear abs after 1 ton swap

#10 ·
A sterling from an 89 should have the VSS on the top of the differential for the RABS and the PSOM for later trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.