Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Scoop's 78 Bronco Custom Build/Restore

257K views 912 replies 129 participants last post by  Scoop 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT 7/2/2017: PLEASE NOTE THAT PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS. THEY HAVE BROKEN ALL LINKS TO 3RD PARTY SITES UNLESS EACH USER PAYS $400 A YEAR! THUS ALL THE PICS HAVE BEEN DELETED FROM THIS BUILD THREAD. ALL FUTURE PICS TO THIS THREAD (AND THERE WILL BE A LOT) WILL USE A NEW PHOTO HOSTING SITE.

EDIT 12/4/2017: MEMBER SCHWIM HAS RESTORED THE PICS IN THIS THREAD - AT LEAST TEMPORARILY! THANKS SCHWIM!

I got my 78 Custom about a year and a half ago and have done some work on it but not a whole lot so far. I bought it from the 2nd owner who had owned it for 20 plus years. The best thing about it is that it is 99% original. Here's some pics when I first got it.

Specs:

78 Bronco Custom
351M / C6 / NP203 (converted to part time by original owner)
AC / PS / PB
Front bench seat
Bright Yellow w/ Black & Silver interior, black top, factory pinstripping
White wagon wheels w/black centers

The owner indicated that "it ran OK when I parked it 2 years ago . . ." so my original intent was to get it running and do the relatively minor amount of rust repair (after replacing the hood and tail gate) and drive it a while before really tearing into it. That was before I looked under the rubber mats! The floors - especially right behind the front seat and the rear seat floor boards - were much worse than I expected! Also I did a tune up, changed fluids, belts and hoses, and rebuilt the 2150 and got it running. But it did not run good - 0 compression on #6 and a couple others were pretty low too. Anyway, the more rust than I thought and the fact that it needs engine and tranny work (turns out it leaks really badly!) is prompting me to start in earnest on the rebuild now!

Like I said, I have done some work on it already, like the tune up, complete brake job, removed the outside carrier and installed an interior spare tire mount, but the biggest mod so far is the installation of a 23" Lokar shifter.

My plans are to do a very mild resto mod and build it as a semi daily driver (I office at home) with some towing duty. I am going to keep the color factory and refurb the white spokers for a vintage look. I've already installed a set of used 33" BFG ATs and will be installing a pair of 2" leveling coils and maybe a 1" body lift (I haven't decided yet). I want reciever hitches front and rear for towing and parking a trailer as well as for mounting a winch front or rear. It will not be used as a trail rig - I have an early Bronco for that! (Actually I want the 78 to be capable of towing the trail rig on my 16' + 2' dove tail car trailer.)

As for the engine, I am planning on rebuilding it as a 408 with EFI. I am putting the engine specs together now and hope to be pulling the engine this week. Here is a pic of the Streetmaster intake modified for injectors. Board member bmc69 did the mods for me.

I will have the C6 rebuilt with a mild shift kit and I think I'd like to reverse the part time conversion and go back to the original full time configuration. Not positive about that and I have not yet researched what it would take to go back to full time. I just don't like the idea of having a bastardized transfer case - I may even swap in a 205 to get a true part time system!

The front floor boards and rear fender arch patches just came in last week from LMC and I will be starting on the rust repairs hopefully next week also. Please feel free to comment or provide suggestions as this build proceeds.

See less See more
#37 ·
3/12/11 Update

Thanks!

Was able to work all day on the '78 today. But just did a bunch of little things. I rolled out of the garage and powerwashed the frame, D44, steering components, firewall, etc. Probaby took off 10 lbs of grease, grime and dirt! I'll let it dry overnight and hopefully get some paint on it tomorrow. Also dropped the gas tank and getting ready to install the one I got from member joshmillslane. Really glad I got the tank - turns out the one in it was starting to leak and puddling up a little on the skid plate. Not enough to drip on the floor, but looks like a couple of pin-holes has rusted through. Also I drained about 6 gallons of the worst looking bad gas I have ever seen!

Also got some more misc parts cleaned up and painted. The motor won't be done for several weeks - waiting on the rotating assemply from TMeyer so the machine shop can finish honing the cylinder to match the pistons. So it's a good time get the little stuff done. I need to start on the floor pan replacements and the body work too. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks. Hopefully it will be running by Jan of next year and I can show it to you at the Richmond M&G!

Cool does it look like the gavlinizing in person? I have been trying to decide what way to go. I was wondering if there was any one that will regalvinize them but id it looks similar to you in person might be the way to go.
It does not have the galvanized pattern look - so gettting them re-galvanized would be better. It looks kind of like a primer with metal flake in it, if you can imagine that! I think its pretty much a paint with a high zinc content. It covers really well.

Here's a close up.

#46 ·
Looking good Gary. Just stumbled upon this thread, Will we be seeing this truck at Rausch Next year, towing your EB?

Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in to see the progress. I love to see these old FSB's brought back to former glory.

#47 ·
Looking good Gary. Just stumbled upon this thread, Will we be seeing this truck at Rausch Next year, towing your EB?
Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in to see the progress. I love to see these old FSB's brought back to former glory.
That's the plan! This one needs lots of work and its going slower than I want. I'm trying to do all the detail work as I go.

Hey, we're having another ride at Rausch in August, maybe see you then and check out your tailgate repair.

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
3/19/11 Update

I've been working on cleaning up the engine bay and frame while I'm waiting on the engine machine work and more parts from TMeyer. I got most of the remaining painting done today - frame forward of the front cab body mounts, the firewall, brake booster - and reinstalled the shocks and steering stabalizer.

Ended up painting the firewall black which is not correct but I think it will look OK. I tried cleaning up the yellow with some laquer thinner but it quickly went through the old paint. So I went with black!

I am going to wait on reinstalling the inner fenders until the engine is installed. More room to work on it!

#54 ·
The rest of my TMeyer was waiting on my porch when I got home yesterday. Cool! Went through it this morning and everything looks good - Nice job on the crank! Sorry I delivered it to the machine shop without taking any pics. So he just needs to get the mains line-honed, the cam bearings in and the piston pins pressed in. Probably be done next week and I can start reassembly! Can't wait!

#56 ·
So Nice work!

so you will use a 400 crank and tmeyer pistons!

:beer
Thanks and Yes! I got the crank from TMeyer as well - came in his balanced rotating assembly. Crank and rods all look great. The piston pins were pressed in on Friday and the bearing clearances checked perfect.

The Lunati cam came in on Friday afternoon - drop-shipped from Lunati. It's their newest RV/efficiency cam profile. Supposed to be good for low end torque and gas mileage. We'll see! Hoping to get all the remaining machine work finished this week. Probably won't get to start on assembly until after I get back from the Bronco Driver Super Celebration in 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of Broncos in TN, but also anxious to get going on the assembly!

#57 · (Edited by Moderator)
4/5/11 Update

Not much work over the weekend. I spent Saturday morning delivering my son's 96 Bronco to a buyer in WV - actually a member here who's going to turn it into an expedition vehicle. He's got some good plans and I can't wait to follow his build.

While I'm waiting for the engine work and also while I have the gas tank out, I decided to refurb and install a Draw-Tite Class IV receiver. It looks low to me without the bumper on!

#59 ·
Wanna do my '96 next? hahaha.
I'll be looking forward to seeing this in person at Rausch!!

--Hopefully I'll have my lift by then, and wont be the worry of everyone hahaha.

#63 · (Edited by Moderator)
4/10/11 Update

Got the machined block back from the shop on Friday afternooon. I think it looks good. Had him install the freeze plugs and cam bearings. So its pretty much ready to go back together. Pistons and rods are already assembled. Here some pics of the machined block.

I spent all weekend getting the RV de-winterized and ready to tow my stock 74 Ranger to TN for the Bronco Driver Super Celebration next weekend. Looking forward to TN but that will push back my engine build for another week and that sucks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.