Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Rear E-brake Cables

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Plandry 
#1 ·
So a couple of days ago I parked my truck and as I was walking away I heard a loud bang from under the truck. A quick look confirmed that one of the rear e-brake cables had snapped.

All my rigs are manual trans and I hate not having a working e-brake so I had to fix this as soon as I could. Back in high school I had the master cylinder fail in one of my Trans Ams with a busted e-brake and had the wonderfull choice of a busy intersection or a fence (I took out the fence), and recently I was letting my Camaro warm up with the e-brake on and the wheels pointing to the curb. I walked back to my truck to get my cell phone charger and heard the the same bang my truck made and watched my Camaro go over the curb and into a tree:shocked This write up was performed on a F150 but Broncos are the same (I'm pretty sure the cables are actualy the same P/N) I just did the rear two as I replaced the front cable recently.

A trip to Napa got me these. The short one was $16 and the long one was $17

Step 1 get the truck up on jack stands and remove the rear wheels

Pull the rubber plugs out of the brake backing plates and back off the self adjusters using a brake spoon or a screwdriver and remove the brake drums.

Now is a good time to look for worn out brake pades leaking axle seals or wheel cylinders and rusted brake hardware. Do one side at a time so if you forget where stuff goes you can look at the other side. Remove the top spring that goes to the pad with the e-brake, along with the spring that goes to the self adjuster and the adjuster and hardware. Remove the pin that holds the pad to the backing plate and pop the cable out of its arm

Use a lot of four letter words misc screwdrivers pliers and stuff to get the cable to release from the backing plate.

Remove the clamp that holds the two cables to the frame

Use the four letter words misc screwdrivers and pliers to get the other end of the cable out of the equilizer bracket install the new cable re-assembly the brake hardware and move on to the other side. Have fun trying to get the old cable out of the bracket that holds it to the top of the diff. Make sure the new cables are away from the shocks exhaust and drive shaft and bolt the frame clamp back on. Put the drums back on, put the wheels back on, adjust the brakes, and you should be good to go.

much better

See less See more
#4 ·
so how did you get the cables to go back together at the split thingy(last pic)? my 95 will not reach. (stock cables just replaced the clip between the two front cables.) i hear there is some kinda special way to hold the tension on the pedal assembly in the cab......

#5 ·
Click my black Bronco in my sig, go to the Brakes & Hubs album, and find the diagram of the '92-96 e-brake pedal. :deal The caption describes the procedured.

Then go to the TSB & FSA album & read about the e-brake locking wedge.

Or, you can just PUUUUULLLLLLL on the front cable & clamp some vise grips onto it at the sheath so it can't go back in, connect the rear cables, then remove the vise grips. :shrug

#8 ·
96 F150 Left brake cable part number NAPA 95377
96 Bronco Left brake cable part number NAPA 94491

Different numbers, why? Cause the F150 is longer! :twak

OH here Bronco Grave YARD

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32660_1992-96_bronco_left_park_brake_cable.htm
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-42632_1992-96_f150_left_brake_cable.htm

I know all this cause I went through a big bunch of fun with brake cable change when I switched to rear disc, and I had f150, and bronco brake cables in my hands looking at the differences, makes me wonder where your getting your point of reference from.

#9 ·
I was going off napaonline which lists P/N 94491 as the left and P/N 94490 as the right for both the bronco and the f150, but I'll take a human's word over the computer any day, I'll check the boxes next time I get to the shop and see what I actualy used. (and btw your truck is awsome)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.