Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

ZF S542 or 47... difference? which more desirable

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  strokin7.3 
#1 ·
Ok back story, i have a S542 in my bronco with the 7.3 IDI diesel. I like the gear ratios, no complaints there.

in my F350 i have a C6 and will be buying a ZF5 to throw in and have it rebuilt over the winter for the spring swap.

My question to the masses, should i be looking for a S542 or 47. i know the ratios are different between the 2, and the 47 i believe has stronger synchros, or maybe the other way around.... The 47 was used in 96 and 97, while the 42 was used before that.

Given that i have a couple months to find it and get it rebuilt.... Which would you guys rather have? or prefer even. I dont really care how low the granny first is, its perfect in my bronco that i will haul anything i need to haul, the truck is more of a temp driver that i may end up handing over to my wife when i get the broncos engine overhauled :)

so recap, S542 or 47 and why? also if anyone has a link or information offhand the ratio difference between the 2 and how that effects the drive ability of a 90% on road *10% off road-ish hauling wood* truck. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
From what I've read

42 = 420 ft/lbs torque rating
47 = 470 ft/lbs torque rating

These gear ratios are from the transmission sticky at the top of the forum:

S5-42 (Diesel)
1st: 4.14
2nd: 2.37
3rd: 1.42
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.77
Reverse: 3.79

S5-47 (diesel)
1st: 5.08
2nd: 2.61
3rd: 1.53
5th: 0.77
Reverse: 4.66

S5-42 and S5-47 (gas)
1st: 5.72
2nd: 2.94
3rd: 1.61
5th: 0.76
Reverse: 5.24
Trans code: 2

What engine and final drive does the F-350 have?

#9 ·
Sorry i apologize i didnt even see the trans sticky! This is exactly the info i needed! gears stay the same. so i can look for either. The F350 is a 5.8, and i believe its 4.10 based on RPM at 55 with the C6, did the math on it somewhere.

I didnt mean for the IDI, i have a hard time using the stupid touch keypad on the phone my wife bought me. The bko im happy with the 42 model, but from reading on FTE some threads were saying the 47 is stronger syncs or w/e but i couldnt back that up with anything via google search so i figured id ask the geniuses here :) Speaking of the IDI, just got the block back from the machine shop, had all 8 cyls sleeved to fix the potential issue of cavitation. Ill have to update my build thread... its LONG over due.

Thanks for the information, as always i appreciate it. Next up... 351W rebuild (after trans) perhaps ill do a write up on that. lots of good ones on this thread, but mine *might* be different *picked up a 800CFM blowthrough edelbroc blow through carb and a twin turbo setup off a wrecked 92ish 3000GT VR-4 today that i might just want to put to good use :)

Ok, done typing now. Thanks again guys!

#4 ·
A basic turbo'd IDI puts down over 500 ft lbs......

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.