Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Turn signal/hazard switch= cruise control not working.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mikey350 
#1 ·
I'm a bit confused on why my issue is what it is. So here is the story from the start.

My old bko's cc started to not work before my rear ending. I think it had completely stopped working by than. The turn signal switch was purchased new and had not been in the old bko for more than 2 years.

Now on the new bko the cc has been working fine.

Than a few days ago I swaped you the turn signal switches between the 2 trucks. Now the cc doesn't work with the newer switch from the old bko. I swap in the old switch and take a ride and the cc works fine.

Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?

I didn't think the cc or the signal switch had anything much in common.

#5 ·
i may be totally off, but could that have something to do with a faulty multifunction switch? or i may have just stated the obvious.

#6 ·
On my '96, the cruise control would kick off when I put on the right turn signal. It was the multifunction (multimalfunction?) switch. I replaced it, then I took it apart with the help of Steve83's writeup, cleaned it up, and it now resides error free in my '94.
Good Luck!

#7 ·
So a update to this issue. I replaced a tail light harness that connects under the rear area of the frame to the left rear tail lights. Cc now does not shut off when the blinkers are turned on. How ever the cc stil does not work with the lights turned on. On another wired twist, I had my car trailer on tonight and decided to see if it would work with the lights on. It did work like it was suppose to. As soon as I disconnected the trailer at my house and went for a ride, I tried the cc and it would no longer work. Any ideas where to specifically to look?

#10 ·
Lol that nut is to twisted and messed up! Lol!
I swaped those 2 connectors cause the light sockets were looking like they were in better condition.

Sounds like it's just the MFS internally itself. The high beams are part of it so that may be why the thing worked when you shut the lights off, less current draw and why Mikey350 had his problem when he turned his signal on. If you have a problem internally it is like a window switch, sometimes it will work putting the window up but not down. The turn signals on your MFS might work on the left but not the right, high beams might affect it and since you had the lights on Ewgoetz, you were using the same compromised circuit within the multifunction switch and unplugging the trailer may have had nothing to do with it, it could have just been the lights being on instead and just a coincidence. You may have thought unplugging did something when actually it was just that you were using the lights because it was dark. I used to sell tons of these at Ford because it had the wipers, the water jets, and the intermittent part too, the high beams, the flash to pass part too, the turn signals, hazards, everything but the headlamp switch itself but nothing to do with the cruise though man. Steve's right, buy another one or find someone here parting out a Bronco or F150 or just swap the other one back in. Good Luck......:thumbup -Kevin-
The one switch I had in there was a working new switch with same results.

Right now here's how it stands with the cruise control.
During the day with the parking lights & head lights off, cc works fine.
At night with the headlights on the cc no longer works.

Now if I plug in that trailer harness at night with the lights on the cc works. Which is wired to me......

Not to worried about it, just wanted to put a update in this thread about the 2 rear light harnesses being replace, and the effect was it stopped the thing with the signals killing the cc.

#9 ·
Sounds like it's just the MFS internally itself. The high beams are part of it so that may be why the thing worked when you shut the lights off, less current draw and why Mikey350 had his problem when he turned his signal on. If you have a problem internally it is like a window switch, sometimes it will work putting the window up but not down. The turn signals on your MFS might work on the left but not the right, high beams might affect it and since you had the lights on Ewgoetz, you were using the same compromised circuit within the multifunction switch and unplugging the trailer may have had nothing to do with it, it could have just been the lights being on instead and just a coincidence. You may have thought unplugging did something when actually it was just that you were using the lights because it was dark. I used to sell tons of these at Ford because it had the wipers, the water jets, and the intermittent part too, the high beams, the flash to pass part too, the turn signals, hazards, everything but the headlamp switch itself but nothing to do with the cruise though man. Steve's right, buy another one or find someone here parting out a Bronco or F150 or just swap the other one back in. Good Luck......:thumbup -Kevin-

#11 ·
Here's my 2¢, even though you didn't ask for it.
The Speed Control has a bunch of possible inputs to shut it off, in addition to the switch on the steering wheel.
One is the BOO signal - that closes when the brake pedal is depressed.
The other is the brake pressure signal, that comes off the pressure switch on your master cylinder (the one that's fused if you had the safety recall)
So, take a look at the schematics below - pg 31-1 shows the Speed Control - on the left side is a Splice - S240
If you get 12 volts at that splice the speed control will shut off.
Now look at the second schematic page 90-2 - find the same splice - S240 (right in the middle) - some of the connections are inputs, some are outputs, but if 12v gets there, whether incidental or purposeful the speed control will shut off.
My bet is you have something putting 12v there. - the splice location is "Main Harness, near T/O to clutch pedal position switch or jumper" (Pg 152-32)

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/895677_1

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/966774_1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.