Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

best diesel for a bronco swap

90K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Alex95 
#1 ·
alright im going to start collecting parts for my diesel swap, but im having trouble deciding on an engine to use. i was thinking a 5.9 cummins turbo diesel but alot of my friends are saying to go with a powerstroke.

what would be the best choice for a turbo diesel

#2 ·
Depends on what you're workin with donor wise and how thick your wallet is...bring your wallet either way tho...Strokers are great, but to do it the right way, it takes alot of work...Cummins are cool too and fairly simple, but destroke parts are an arm and a leg...haven't seen a Duramax conversion in a BKO yet:popc1:...but a diesel is a diesel, as long as it has a turbo, anyways...:goodfinge:rockon

#3 ·
You do not need destroked parts if you want to put the Cummins in. Cummins had a repower program in the past that put 3.9L four cylinders in panel vans that had Ford and/or GM engines and transmissions. The engine to transmission adapters for the four cyclinder Cummins are compatable with the 5.9l six cylinder Cummins up to 2001 IIRC. There is very good info available here, http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php. And you always have the Dodge option of course.

#10 ·
Do it right do it ford, Get a 7.3 out of a 98 to like 03 maybe you can find one totalled with a good engine, the reason for the 98-03 is the 7.3 didnt have a turbo until 94 1/2 and in 98 not only did ford give it a bigger turbo but it also came with an intercooler which between the bigger turbo and the intercooler added a good 50-75 horsepower to the engine. Im not knockin the cummins though, dont get me wrong its a great engine with OMG power. Or if you want to be really unique about it find a way to get a 6.0 out of a 250 and replace the fuel pressure reg (its pretty much the only problematic part in the engine) and your set, thats a good engine also, but whatever you do, do not even consider a 6.4 they are nothing but a pile of crap, my fathers a diesel tech so naturally I get learn all about them, and I get to hear about all the problems with them.

#11 ·
Ford, ya mean International? I agree tho, OE is best...but 6.0's are crap!(ask me how I know...lol) 00-03 7.3's are great motors, but they too have their weak points.(ask me how I know again...lol) In all honesty, if you're talkin strokers, 95-97 are the most durable motors, period.(IMO anyways, odometers don't lie, usually...lol) Put a GTP38 w/a comp shroud and an intercooler on em and watch the hell out!!!(I would say ask me how I know, but we'll all find out next summer, prelude of things to come anyways...lol):goodfinge:rockon

#28 ·
'94-'98 12 valve cummins ...

'97 and '98 prefered ...

#30 ·
Old post, but I don't care, I'm curious.

I'm thinking about trying the 7.3 IDI N/A from my 93 F250 in my 92 Bronco. What'd you end up going with?

#32 ·
In terms of ease of swap, it's gotta be the easiest. As said above, in its n/a form, they are dogs except towing. I would put a turbo kit on it and go. I've wanted to do this to my 78 f150.

I had a 96 psd, ts6 chipped with 4" exhaust and loved it, but it had been neglected and kept dying on the road. I learned to carry an extra cam sensor and a 10mm wrench. Was in the process of refreshing her when the shop burnt down. After 3hours of 2000* that 7.3 still had oil in it. My '94 bronco 351 aluminum intake and heads melted into the block. Point being that the international diesels are lasting engines. I've kicked myself for not pulling that 7.3 out of the scrap like I did its d60 front axle.

#33 ·
Im gonna stir the pot with this post :toothless

Id never go 7.3 IDI, cuz the 460 made the same power, and is a ton easier/cheaper to swap in.

Of course, the 7.3 in my 96 F250 is awesome, but IMO you still cant beat the 460 in regards to simple easy power. Stock 96 Powerstroke = 425ft lbs at 2500 RPM, stock 460 = 400ft lbs at 2000 rpm. Yes the diesel has a greater aftermarket power potential, but, its a bronco not a p/u, and itll never haul the same loads as a pickup will, and not nearly as well with its short wheelbase. At that point, I don't understand why someone would bother swapping one in over a 460. I did my 460 swap for $700 and that includes the purchase of motor & trans. Cant get close to that with a diesel swap. And the 460 is stupid simple to work on, no more complicated than the SBFs, whereas the average owner doesn't know how to properly maintain a diesel to get the long life out of them they are capable of getting.

#34 ·
Been a while, dang thing didn't tell me there were responses!

I'm thinking the 7.3 idi route soley because I have the F250 with that in it. It also has solid axles under it for that as well. I'm currently in talks with a local diesel shop for the swap, but I have options.

1 - 7.3 idi / trans / front and rear axles from the F250
2 - 3.9 4bt cummins / 47rh trans

Option #2 is the real expensive one, but that one I would rather do. I have the F250 for sale right now, but if I can't make the difference between options from the sale, I'm going to do the 7.3 swap. The 4bt and trans would be completely rebuilt which would be awesome. But, we will see!

#37 ·
If it were me, I'd consider shortening the frame of the F250 and dropping the Bronco cab on there if your wanting to use the 7.3.

4bt would be cool, and youd be better able to get more economy out of it if you're planning on driving it more. Keep in mind that dropping a 7.3 isn't exactly "plug and play", and swapping a 4bt/6bt isn't necessarily that much more complicated than a 7.3. Either way, you're in for some work.
Also, you can run an Allison, or whatever other Trans you want as long as you have a standalone controller for it. My choice was to use a 4R100, as they can be built bulletproof for way less than the Dodges or Allison, and seem to respond the best to tuning under higher power levels. Of course, some would disagree, but that was my experience there.

#35 ·
Ford wise the International always impressed me but as stated big $ even for a stocker. We have a Duramax in the family ( gen II ) and it is a great puller with turbo and an Allison. I am not a big Diesel fan but when pulling a load it is extreamly obvious what the difference between the Super Duty 5.3 gas and the HD Chevy Duramax is.

#36 ·
I bet it is. I'd love to put a Cummins in it with an Allison (if that's even possible), that'd be bulletproof! However, this is going to be little more than a mud truck, and maybe it'll show up to work in Alexandria, VA once in a while to piss of the "professionally offended". It's just going to be big, loud, and stinkin!

Reactions: 445 FE Bronco
#38 ·
IHowever, this is going to be little more than a mud truck, and maybe it'll show up to work in Alexandria, VA once in a while to piss of the "professionally offended". It's just going to be big, loud, and stinkin!

A diesel in a mud truck? You are swapping in a 1000 LBS engine in place of a 500 LBS sbf? Can't see how that's a good idea. Heavy truck that falls on it's face by 3000 rpm? Buy a good recovery strap.

#41 ·
Now, after driving quite a few various diesels, (6.0, 6.4, 7.3, lb7, 12v) and owning a LBZ, id swap a dmax in a bronco in a heartbeat. only drawback would be cost.

Reactions: muffinman944
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.