Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How much hp on a stock 302?

34K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  XXLBRONCO 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how many hp is expected out of a rebuilt 302 (assuming stock). I wanted to rebuilt my 302 with very mild modifications to increase hp. I have been told to go 351 but many other tell me is not really that much of a difference and plus it would cost me about the same to get a used 351 and to rebuild my 302 with mild modifications. My mechanic tells me that stock the 351 and the 302 is about 20hp difference, true?. Well, I hope I have made the right decision by going the 302 route. The only thing is what I ask first, how many hp, assuming stock without any mods?

Thanks
Greg

#5 ·
Yes, I get the idea. I feel that if I go with the 302 eventhough it will be freshly rebuilt I will regret it. I guess I will just follow the crowd and go 351 too. I know it will be used and do not know how much it will last but well it can always be rebuilt.

Thanks
Greg

#7 ·
k1w1t1m said:
You have to remember that a 351 starts with more hp and torque and with small modifications will increase that.
In other words if you do the same to the 351 as you do to the 302, the 351 will always have more hp and torque.
Then why do people keep their 302s? I have a 302 and it isn't worth shit.

#10 ·
my 302 has good power, outran my friends pathfinder when we were racing, it has a lot of grunt to it. maybe if i HAD to get a new motor, i might would go with a 351, but a 302 moves my truck just fine

#11 ·
Ziggy_Moto said:
Then why do people keep their 302s? I have a 302 and it isn't worth shit.
Possibly because yours is over 20 years old

#14 ·
I think the durability of the 302 makes up any difference. I mean shit i see stangs with 300,000 to 400,000 miles on them. I know a girl who forgets to check her oil and rags the hell out of her 302 and it is 290,000 miles on it and never rebuilt. IMHO one of the best motors ford built, first being the 6 cylinder 4.0, but opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one

ken

#15 ·
Gbronco1

I love my 5.0 and have done a lot to help it along. She'll flatten the needle against the trip meter no trouble and gets there very quickly and still throws down 17-19mpg no trouble (driving like an @$$).

That said, it's torque that wins street races, not horsepower. It's even more true and critical in heavy trucks, like ours. A 351 starts out with a more advantageous longer stroke and anything you do to a 351 is going to net you more torque than if you'd done it to a 302.

Also they have very similar rebuilding costs, so why not go 351 ?

Two more cents from a 5.0 owner

Sixlitre

#18 ·
I used to have an '80 with a 351M and thought it was a beast, even with 32s and 3.55s. I was always very happy with the power it had.

Then I got the '90 I have now and started reading about how the 5.0L was such a dog. That made me wish I had that old 351 back. Recently I found out that the EFI 5.0L makes more that 40HP and about 10ft/lbs *more* than the 351M. And it generally runs better and gets better MPG to boot.

Now I don't feel so underpriviledged anymore. :toothless

Here's the engine specs for the various FS Bronco engines, 1978-'96:

http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/Engine_Specifications.html

#20 ·
dmk said:
I used to have an '80 with a 351M and thought it was a beast, even with 32s and 3.55s. I was always very happy with the power it had.

Then I got the '90 I have now and started reading about how the 5.0L was such a dog. That made me wish I had that old 351 back. Recently I found out that the EFI 5.0L makes more that 40HP and about 10ft/lbs *more* than the 351M. And it generally runs better and gets better MPG to boot.

Now I don't feel so underpriviledged anymore. :toothless

Here's the engine specs for the various FS Bronco engines, 1978-'96:

http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/Engine_Specifications.html
Too true dmk

A 351 M is not as blessed with new tech as the 5.0 and Windsor 5.8. You also can't have a 4 spd OD auto, so mileage would never be even close to the newer engines.

The last 351 M rolled off the line 24 model years ago and nobody in the aftermarket is busting their humps inventing new parts for them.

They weren't beloved engines when they were new, being dismissed as smog motors, and unless you do a lot of mods to them their mileage is abysmal and the performance ain't stellar either.

Derrick put it best by mentioning it's best attribute; it's a good platform for a 460 swap.

Sixlitre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.