Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

grinding sound when i back up

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Too40Gawlf 
#1 ·
as long as i back up in a straight line i am fine, but if i turn the wheel as i back up it makes a horrible grinding sound, does anyone no what i could be be? its not the wheel rubbing on the wheel well, its a mechianical grinding. its a 1980 with a 6 inch lift on 35"s.
if i need to post more info let me know

#2 ·
Our grinding sound is coming from the radiator fan shroud. The fan hits the bottom of the shroud whenever we turn the wheel, especially if there is ANY frame twist. No body lift installed. It sounded mechanical until I had my wife drive and I walked with the truck with the hood open - found the little !@#$%. Was quite a mystery for a couple months.

#4 ·
Since the shroud fits where it should, we're just going to jigsaw the bottom 1/4 about 1 inch in. I did a quick check and found all the mounts ok and everything seems to be straight. I don't think it is worth spending a lot of time trying to figure out why it started rubbing. My guess is that became out-of-round somehow - maybe over the years.

#5 ·
I have this exact same problem on my 95 351 with an E40D. My noise is definitely NOT the radiator fan. It is exacty as the OP described.

Sorry for the thread resurrect, but might be good to get a resolution to this problem.

#8 ·
It does it rolling backwards - i.e. if Im backing out of a driveway as I get to the point where Im going to slow to a stop to shift into D, I hear a "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd".

It happens both in N and R.

I remember it happening most when Im backing down out of a up-slope driveway and I turn the wheel to the right. I will then hear the noise just as I get ready to shift to D.

#7 ·
I had that problem and was able to trace it to the ring and pinion being worn/loose.
Never made a sound when backing straight but as soon as I turned the wheel all hell broke loose. Do you have any vibration issues?

#9 ·
Nah, I dont have any vibration issues and my problem doesnt sound exactly like yours either. At first I thought it was some kind of noise from pads/drums being worn and grinding, but I changed both front pads and rear shoes and no change in the noise.

#10 ·
id try disconnecting the driveline from the diff, and see if the yoke feels loose or anything. that'd only take a minute and it would help eliminate differential issues as a possibility

also stick your finger in the oil hole on your rear diff, and see if the oil (on your finger) looks silvery, or like it has metal shavings in it.

#11 ·
id try disconnecting the driveline from the diff, and see if the yoke feels loose or anything. that'd only take a minute and it would help eliminate differential issues as a possibility

also stick your finger in the oil hole on your rear diff, and see if the oil (on your finger) looks silvery, or like it has metal shavings in it.
You're talking about the front differential? How would that be done? Disconnecting the front driveshaft?

Also, Ive found tha tmy auto hubs are bad/not working - could this be somehow related?

#12 ·
This could very well be related to your hub issue. I have had manual hubs that would not engage and made grinding noises when the wheel was spun in 2wd or the axle was driven in 4wd with the tires stationary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.