Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

C6 to ZF5 swap

13K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Alvin in AZ 
#1 ·
I have decided to put the C6 to the curb since my Bronco is my DD. I got a 460 ZF5 I need to put in it. I have a 460 I am going to put in and the ZF5 is the way to go.

I have some questions though I did do research on it. Not many people have done this on our Broncos.

1) Can I use my current trans crossmember? Will it have to move?

2) Will I have to shorten or lengthen my driveshaft? (Heard people say the stock shaft will work)

3)What clutch assembly and linkages would i need or do I have to make them?

4)Also I plan to run a Borg Warner transfer case. Will driveshaft still work?

#2 ·
1)You are probably better off just making a new cross member although the factory one will probably work it will just have to be relocated.
2)My guess would be yes you will have to get your driveshafts redone. when I swapped out the e4od for a zf5 my rear was quite a few inches too short.
3) you will need to go to the junkyard and get a pedal assembly for a manual f150 for your year of bronco. in my 96 I needed one from a 92-96 bronco.
4)I am not sure what ujoints your current driveshafts run but they make conversion joints so I wouldn't be worried.

#6 ·
Sam's got the right idea! :) (post #7)

Really? :/
You can't cut it nice?
You really have to hack it up? ;)

The ZF might be tall but its gearshift lever is a dinky little shit...
(T18 middle, ZF bottom)

...so if you do a body lift (ick) you'll be bent over ev'rytime you shift and wreck. ;)

Or you could hack-up ;) the original ZF lever and add some length to it...

^19/32" drill bit ~= 15mm

It'd be better to weld up one, I had the '75 C700 lever and wanted to use it is all. xD

Alvin in AZ

#7 ·
the shift lever is shorter but the tower is quite a bit taller.
when i did mine i cut off the stock ZF shifter and welded on a 4spd shifter so i could put it right where i wanted it.
i also built my own crossmembers and used the NP205.

#8 ·
Well what I thought was a BW1356 case that the guy I got the Bronco from gave me, is actually a NP208 aluminium transfer case.

#12 ·
Could I use the late 80s-mid 90s clutch assembly?

I have a 70s Ford clutch assembly but was going to use it on my NP435 swap in my 79 F150.

#15 ·
The ZF input shaft is larger than the NP435...
Are you sure 'bout that? ;)

1+1/16" diameter with ten splines and 17mm pilot snout.
Right or wrong?

Anyway, that's what my 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton stuff had.

Seems like there's some 1+1/4" stuff for diesels or something?

I will see if I can get some pics of the mods I did to the pedal
to install the hyd clutch in the firewall.
That'd be cool. :)

Alvin in AZ

#16 ·
I wonder if I can use an earlier flywheel for a EFI 460 on my 78-79 460..?

I'm so ready to do this swap since gas is going up.

#18 ·
You need a D8TE flywheel because of the externally balanced crank and the bigger clutch.

We no one is replying on my build thread so i wl post this here since this forum here is getting more views.

Which of these two clutch pedal assemblies would be best to put in my 79 with the hydraulic set up.

The 79 clutch assembly uses a z bar so that is out of the equation.
Use the 79 set and modify the bellcrank lever. You need to cut the bellcrank lever off the new style slutch pedal shaft and weld the tab to the bellcrank on the 79 pedal. Sorry I haven't posted a picture, I'll get on that right now and edit this post with the pictures.

#17 ·
We no one is replying on my build thread so i wl post this here since this forum here is getting more views.

Which of these two clutch pedal assemblies would be best to put in my 79 with the hydraulic set up.

The 79 clutch assembly uses a z bar so that is out of the equation.

#19 ·
Thanks dude. I was planning to buy one of these clutch assemblys. No use to buy them then eh?

I have a DIVE block. So it's internally balanced. I will get the external and have it zero balanced, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.