Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

2 problems. engine knocking, E4OD wont shift past 2nd

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Kingfish999 
#1 ·
my 96 has 2 major problems thats gonna be the determining factor to scrap or keep it. this truck is really not worth the time anymore but i dont wanna get rid of it.

1st one is that the E4OD tranny wont shift past 2nd. it will manually do first and second and reverse but i jsut drove it home 3k rpm doing 40mph. when in Drive, at 4k rpm it will act like its trying to shift but scared to. no code, no OD light flash, speedo and tack work. the MLPS has been repalced a few weeks ago due to not leatting the engine crank and hasend been a problem since. the tranny was rebuilt a year ago and has a TCI shiftkit.

2nd is that my engine has a knock/tapping and after tonhght it has gotten quite abit worse. this originally started after getting stuck and partially stuck for 8 hours. the oil had water in it so i flushed and changedthe oil twice to get it clean. the truck still had good power, the vacuum is steady at 24 inches when idleing and seams to behaving correctly. oil pressure doesnt seem to be a problem but i dont have a way to check it. havent checked compression yet. im really hopping its somethnig simple like a lifter. shoulds like its comming from the top front of the engine

#2 ·
yo K,
Is transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL; OD off-on LED/switch) blinking?
If so, we can get a Code; go to NAPA etc and ask for free scan; have them do both KOEO and KOER (make sure eng is still @ norm op temp)
E4OD Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) 3 digits & OBD II, Possible Causes & Repair Procedures for 96
for example;
P0781(b) Shift Solenoid 1, Shift Solenoid 2 or Internal Transmission Components 1-2 shift error. Engine rpm drop not detected when 1-2 shift was commanded by powertrain control module
b Output circuit check, generated only by electrical conditions.

Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and transmission range selector lever position. Refer to Shift Solenoid Operation Chart. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transmission concerns such as stuck valves or damaged friction material. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Check to make sure the transmission harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.
Disconnect transmission solenoid body connector on the passenger side of the transmission.

Using a mirror, inspect both ends of connector for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, and missing or damaged seals.
"...Completely seat solenoid body connector into solenoid body assembly receptacle by pushing on the top of the connector. An audible click indicates full contact. Verify connection by pulling on harness..."

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

Check MLPS (also ref to by Ford as TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR)
Check to make sure Transmission Range (TR) sensor harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.

#3 ·
yo, I got you mixed-up with another person in another Ford forum
P0782b Shift Solenoid 1, Shift Solenoid 2 or Internal Transmission Components 2-3 shift error. Engine rpm drop not detected when 2-3 shift was commanded by powertrain control module Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and transmission range selector lever position. Refer to Shift Solenoid Operation Chart. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transmission concerns such as stuck valves or damaged friction material. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Check to make sure the transmission harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.
Disconnect transmission solenoid body connector on the passenger side of the transmission.

Using a mirror, inspect both ends of connector for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, and missing or damaged seals.
"...Completely seat solenoid body connector into solenoid body assembly receptacle by pushing on the top of the connector. An audible click indicates full contact. Verify connection by pulling on harness..."

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

Check MLPS (also ref to by Ford as TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR)
Check to make sure Transmission Range (TR) sensor harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.

#4 ·
went out to the truck for the first time this morning. instantly noticed this pack of relays hanging down by my wheel. think this could be the problem? i cant get my hood to pop so i cant really inspenc much else atm. man this truck is a disaster..........

#5 ·
Thats deffinitely an issue. reach in your grill and pull the hood cable right at the latch to pop it.

#7 ·
yo,
Is transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL; OD off-on LED/switch) blinking?
========

Trailer Relay Box pic in a 96
to the right side (driver's side) of the Power Distribution Box

Relay Diagram in a 96
by Steve83

#8 ·
no OD light was not flashing. however i got good news. the tranny acted perfectly normal today and shifted approtriatly. i checked the fluid and it seemes at least 2 quarts low if not more so i added some. also i found out the knocking problem was actually only the smogpump pulley coming loose and the pump starting to seize again. i got the hood to pop with the help of 3 others and saw bolts holding the fender on ripped out. put some washer on the bolts and put them in place and now the hood opens fine. if those relays are jsut for trailering i guess ill replace them nad move them somewhere else. since i had to cut my wheel well for my F250 shock mounts i now have holes for this stuff to come through

#9 ·
If you scrap the truck, pm me, i'd like to buy parts. :haha I'm from Florida too

Ontopic-
On the pepboys website they had a free bumper-bumper inspection coupon, idk if it's still there but if so take it there. I did that before i had a bunch of engine work done

#10 ·
#11 ·
boy i remember when you said ''the 96 is nice, i want to keep it that way and not fawk it up''.

and where are we now. -_-

#12 ·
haha i get remebered of this every 20 minutes form everybody that remebered how it was. i originally thought my 88 woulda lasted longer without major work and i would have my 96 to DD, trailer it, or if need be pull it out of the mud. it was only a while that the 88 needed a new engine and tranny and that took awhile. after swapping them out, the engine threw a rod after 30 minutes of idling and the tranny needed a rebuild which took alot longer. by that time i started having fun with my 96 it started turning into an offroad truck and had far more potential than my 88 did. now almost all my funds go to my 96 cause i get more out of it than my 88 which gets money put into a truck that hasnt moved much in the last 2 years. right now its sitting neading a rear axle and a carb. i still dont really mud my 96, but im not scared to try and pull people out. and jumping it i found to be much more fun and easier to fix than mudding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.