Anyone install an exhaust manifold doughnut gasket? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
amanda11270

Bronco Info: 89 351W Eddie Baurer Edition
Anyone install an exhaust manifold doughnut gasket?

Hey all, anyone ever have their exhaust leak at the manifolds to head pipe connection? They have those solid flares there, I do not believe there is supposed to be a gasket, but mine leaks slightly no matter what I do to it. The pipe was cut back further to make custom duals, and I dont want to have to remove it and cut and weld to straighten it as it is only a slight leak when revved, a tiny tick, not even noticeable at idle. But its been buggin me as I just put in a new engine and the truck runs perfect and I want it to sound perfect, anyone know what size that tubing is up there at the head pipe top to the manifolds, im gonna go to Napa and see if they can hook me up with a exhaust doughnut to slip in them. I tightened my manifold connections tight, but im afraid any tighter ill be snapping off manifold studs then ill be screwed and really makin some noise LOL. Almost forgot, its an 89 5.8L
amanda11270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
dirtmerchant

Bronco Info: use to be 302aod and 302c6, now its a gt40p 302/np435!
do the right thing, set up that pipe correctly instead of using a gasket that burns out

THE GOODS:97 302gt40p, 1.7 RR,MAC equal lengths, Bassani Y to cherry bomb 2 chamber, np435,3g alt-saginaw swap -33's and flares-cop spotlight and 92+doors, markviii fan,new interior DONE FINALLY next up ttb rebuild, maf a9L and cam
dirtmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda11270 View Post
Hey all, anyone ever have their exhaust leak at the manifolds to head pipe connection? They have those solid flares there, I do not believe there is supposed to be a gasket, but mine leaks slightly no matter what I do to it. The pipe was cut back further to make custom duals, and I dont want to have to remove it and cut and weld to straighten it as it is only a slight leak when revved, a tiny tick, not even noticeable at idle. But its been buggin me as I just put in a new engine and the truck runs perfect and I want it to sound perfect, anyone know what size that tubing is up there at the head pipe top to the manifolds, im gonna go to Napa and see if they can hook me up with a exhaust doughnut to slip in them. I tightened my manifold connections tight, but im afraid any tighter ill be snapping off manifold studs then ill be screwed and really makin some noise LOL. Almost forgot, its an 89 5.8L
Don't do it Amanda !

It's a Chevrolet stop gap measure. Real cars and trucks don't need that kind of GM band-aid !

On a 5.0 litre they are two inch flares;

I used these 2 1/4" ends;

on the first 5.0 litre I did and they wuz loose like you say, but they tightened up okay on the manifold ball (TG).

Tain't no problem now, as the ball ends on the PaceSetter shorties fit just fine now;

If you're worried about your manifold studs, use brass nuts like I do;

Sixlitre
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
ElJosho

Bronco Info: '90 Bronco Custom retired forest service rig, 302, 5 speed, 4.10 trac loc, 4" rancho susp, 35" tires
I got the same problem with my rig, only I put shorty headers on and there's a little crack and it won't close no matter how tight I get it, I'm not too concerned at the moment, but it does get annoying. I haven't looked into a donut gasket, so i'd like to see what you find out.
ElJosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
ElJosho

Bronco Info: '90 Bronco Custom retired forest service rig, 302, 5 speed, 4.10 trac loc, 4" rancho susp, 35" tires
hey six, where'd you get those new flanges?? those would be perfect with my shorties!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJosho View Post
hey six, where'd you get those new flanges?? those would be perfect with my shorties!!
Got em' at Canadian Tire ElJosho (less than $5.00 each IIRC)

but never fear, they said "made in USA" on em'. If you print off a pic and slap it down on the counter, any knuckle dragging Chev counterman can find you some.

There's piles better pics on my Lincoln Supermotors page as I did the same custom Y-pipe for my Town Car that I did for my Bronco;

When you think about it, all my Y-pipe consists of is two of those flanges, a Flowmaster scavenger "Y" and some bent pipes.

The Lincoln page is;

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/9371

Rather proud of the Y-pipe we did on the Lincoln;

Sixlitre
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
ElJosho

dude thats some flippin awesome good work! my stock y-pipe with the dual cats sucks balls, I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you now.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJosho View Post
dude thats some flippin awesome good work! my stock y-pipe with the dual cats sucks balls, I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you now.
Thanks ElJosho

but my pipe bending buddy gets most of the credit for the great bends and welds.

Truth is a recently returned FSB member, WD-40, let me pattern my exhaust after his, on the old BBS forum. His pics helped us immensely.

The best recommendation I can give you is spring for some 3" header flanges (JC.Whitney, $3.09 each);

They really leave you free to unbolt and re-bolt stuff on later, anytime you want with just two 9/16" wrenches.

Broncos are so high you don't even have to jack em' up to crawl under and change exhaust components.

Conscientious environmentalist that I am, I even weld them flanges onto my cats, so they can be removed and "tested" between smog checks.

Sixlitre
Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
drew

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer
I had some special flanges made up at a local muffler shop and replaced the stock y-pipe flanges. Mine were 2 1/4" as well.

drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech