Won't start after heavy rain - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
BoatDude

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5.0L 302, Warn manual hubs, stock so far...
Exclamation Won't start after heavy rain

1996 OBD-II 302.

This has happened twice so far, but when it rains really hard, my truck will not start. It will sputter occasionally, but never stay running. I just today replaced the coil, distributor cap & rotor, and the wires. Still absolutely no change. The last time this happened, I let the truck sit overnight and it started in the morning. It's been sitting for about 5 hours (since noon) with no rain. Everything seems to be dry, but I can't figure out why it won't start!!! The battery cables are tight too. As far as I know it's getting fuel, I can smell it (probably from the exhaust) after some brutal cranking, and the fuel pump is new and I can hear it running. I can't think of anything else that could be causing this problem, I really need ome ideas. I have a final at 8AM tomorrow morning and I have to be at work by 3 PM tomorrow. Any help at all is really appreciated.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikE2 View Post
After I clean out your sandy vagina I'd like to perform sodomy on you and then pull out and shoot a big load on your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Go wash up, have a beer, bang your girlfriend and then eat a nice steak.
Words to live by!!!
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Late Model Man

Bronco Info: '95 351, ZF5, Dana 60s
It still sounds like spark to me. Have you checked/greased your plug wires? how about the coil... is it dry and its wire greased? is the air filter dry?

SuperFord 95 8-lug Bronco with some stuff...
Late Model Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
ToughBronco

Bronco Info: Sold
Check the plugs and pack those boots with grease.
ToughBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
pa444

Bronco Info: 80, 7.3L psd, zf5spd, np205, d60, 10.25, 13inchs, 5.13s waiting
isnt the tfi module on the drivers fender. maybe its getting wet. you could check the connector see if theres water.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
BoatDude

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5.0L 302, Warn manual hubs, stock so far...
The plug wires were pre-greased when I got them. I haven't checked the air filter, but the only way it could have gotten in is if rain was blowing sideways (literally). I didn't have a spark plug wrench with me so I can't check the plugs. Also, I don't know if I have a TFI module (i'm 1996, remember i'm freakin different :-( ). There are two sets of huge wire packs that go toward my firewall that were wet, but I have no idea what they are. My coil is dry and so is my dizzy and wires. I'm still unsure...

Tony

Quote:
After I clean out your sandy vagina I'd like to perform sodomy on you and then pull out and shoot a big load on your face.
Quote:
Words to live by!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
SigEpBlue
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
You NEED to verify you're getting spark before anything else. You don't need to remove spark plug to check it; merely take an extra plug and stick it in the coil wire, and rest it on some bare metal while someone cranks it. The spark needs to be white/blue, not yellow, orange, or red.
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
SigEpBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
Late Model Man

Bronco Info: '95 351, ZF5, Dana 60s
Are you absolutely sure the dizzy is installed right, timing is spot-on? Check fuel pressure?

Edit: Check this out: Ford dizzy dust boot

SuperFord 95 8-lug Bronco with some stuff...
Late Model Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
BoatDude

I'm going to check fuel pressure tomorrow morning, (I've had work). I finally get the stupid thing started today (monday morning). I had to pump the gas while cranking, and finally it kicked over enough to hold itself running. THere shouldn't be a reason the dizzy isn't installed right, but I haven't checked the timing since i bought the truck. It runs great just like always now, starts fine, but it hasn't been wet, just cold (below freezing at night). I'll also try checking all of the wires to make sure i'm getting spark. It seems like it could be possibly fuel b/c of pumping while cranking, but how could fuel be interrupted when wet, when I can hear the pump running and smell fuel in the exhaust system? I'll check it out, but feel free to post in the meantime.

Thanks guys

Tony

Quote:
Quote:
Words to live by!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
CostaRicaBronco

I've got the same problem

Mine is a 1990 w/351. After it rains at night, she wouldn't start the following morning. I checked and she was getting spark. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and she fired right up. This happens everytime after a hard rain and I can start her everytime with the starter fluid. It has something to do with my fuel injection system. When she starts properly, you can hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds and then shut off. After the rain, I can hear the fuel pump run and run and never shut off. She won't start without the starter fluid unless the pump cuts off. Next time listen to see if the fuel pump is just running and running. Any idea what's happening here?
CostaRicaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
KC200787
Kitteh Commandaar!

Bronco Info: 2006 F150 Lariet 4x4 ECSB - 5.4 Trition
Any bare wires around the fuel pump relay? Is it possible it went bad internally?
DD-1996: Subaru Legacy L, AWD, 2.2L H4 217K+
KC200787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
BoatDude

I second checking the FPR. That's really the onle thing that I can think of that would cause the fuel pump to run continuously. Hope it helps. I think mine was caused by water in a bad dizzy cap, honestly.

Tony

Quote:
Quote:
Words to live by!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
prim021

Bronco Info: 87 Bronco
Do you have the cover that goes over the coil protecting it from water dripping. Made one for mine and it fixed my problems. Also some people are missing the weather stripping that keeps water from leaking in the gap between your hood and cowl where your wipers are. Another thing is i see you bought a distributor cap was it one from a parts store like autozone they don't always fit tight and allow moisture to get in. You can go through Ford to get one but are expensive. Buy a cover for your distributor bag thing for like $15 or go through summit and get a MSD cap and rotor for somewhere around 35. Did both these now i have no troulbe after any heavy rain or real foggy mornings and it is almost always foggy here.
prim021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
justchillinyo

Bronco Info: 1990 EB 302 E4OD
One thing I've done in the past, is when the engine is dry (not raining out), start it and let it run, then take a spray bottle of water and slowly spray areas around the engine that may potentially be causing the problem. When the engine cuts out, you've found the location of the problem.
justchillinyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech