Stripped transmission pan bolt hole - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
joshhath

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 MAF/E4OD XL
Stripped transmission pan bolt hole

I searched, but I might have missed something.

Several of the bolts on my E4OD pan won't torque because the holes are stripped. I read somewhere on the net that you can use a longer bolt if it is on the sides of the pan, not the ends. I ended up getting things to work with m8-1.25x24 bolts with 2 washers. The x20 was too short.

It is still leaking because I need to swap 2 more bolts out (gotta run to hardware store this weekend), but I was pretty happy to get the new bolts to torque down.
Thumper Heads, Moates Quarterhorse, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Comp Cams 35-510-8, MarkVIII Fan, Tranny Cooler/Filter, 130a 3G, 31"s, 3.55 Open, Bassani Headers and Y w/ 3" exhaust, Hooker Aerochamber, Crane Hi6s, Strobes, 180Tstat - Detroit Locker in the garage
joshhath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Are you asking a question or telling us?

Also, what are you talking about in your sig line? They mean 16-18 quarts of ATF for an E4OD, because that's what it takes, not 16-18 pints.

That's including the torque converter being empty which holds probably close to 8 quarts by itself, filling the valve body up, and the lines, and having some left over in the pan.

Between my E4OD, the extra lines, extra cooler/thermostat/remote filter setup, I think I'm close to 22q now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Hoxviii

Bronco Info: 1986 F-150 4x4 conversion
My plane jane C6 in a T-bird takes 5 gallons, 2-3 extra quarts for a C6 would about make sense.

Other thing you can do for stripped pan holes is pump it full of JB Weld or instant steel. Let it set up and then retap the holes.

Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
89MustangGX

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XLT
You can get Helicoils for those as well -- drill and tap for the size of the helicoil, loctite them in, then use original bolts. The pan bolts are only torqued to 15 ft lbs so it is easy to strip them out. Don't over-do it, it won't seal any better and isn't necessary.

Adam
89MustangGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
waltman
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGX View Post
You can get Helicoils for those as well -- drill and tap for the size of the helicoil, loctite them in, then use original bolts. The pan bolts are only torqued to 15 ft lbs so it is easy to strip them out. Don't over-do it, it won't seal any better and isn't necessary.

Adam
There you go, the parts to note, you can get heli coil and it is only 15 ft lbs of torque, not 50.

Live and learn, right?
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Hoxviii

Bronco Info: 1986 F-150 4x4 conversion
helicoil set- $50
longer bolts- $2

I woulda made the same decision.

Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
bronco1

Bronco Info: 90 Bronco
I would have heli-coiled the holes-end of problem.
bronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
waltman
Lick my balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii View Post
helicoil set- $50
longer bolts- $2

Justin

There is always more than one way to do something

Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
down under bronco

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 4 inch lift, dual 5 inch exhaust, musical horns La-cuckaracha
your putting them in too tight,,,,,, always remember here in Australia i always put the bolts in..... stripp it..... then back it off 2 turns.....
down under bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by down under bronco View Post
your putting them in too tight,,,,,, always remember here in Australia i always put the bolts in..... stripp it..... then back it off 2 turns.....
I just did a double take.

Can someone else confirm for me, that this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
DezertBronco

helicoil set is 20 bucks on e bay. 15 lbs just snug it.
DezertBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
89MustangGX

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii View Post
helicoil set- $50
longer bolts- $2

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertBronco
helicoil set is 20 bucks on e bay. 15 lbs just snug it.
If you figure out the right size, which it sounds like you have, you can just buy that size and forget the whole kit. I think I've seen individual sizes in packages at the parts stores for around $5. As long as you have any old tap and die set with the right size you'd be good to go. If not, you can get cheap ones of those too.

I like the idea of being able to use the original, or at least original style, bolts without having to worry about how much thread is left and which ones need to be longer than others.

Adam
89MustangGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
joshhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco4Life View Post
Are you asking a question or telling us?
I was telling so the next guy who wants to try it can find some info on the size needed.

The holes were stripped when I got the truck and it was leaking pretty bad. I thought about helicoil, but the bolts are only 35 cents at the hardware store and it looks like they will work out.
Thumper Heads, Moates Quarterhorse, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Comp Cams 35-510-8, MarkVIII Fan, Tranny Cooler/Filter, 130a 3G, 31"s, 3.55 Open, Bassani Headers and Y w/ 3" exhaust, Hooker Aerochamber, Crane Hi6s, Strobes, 180Tstat - Detroit Locker in the garage
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
waltman
Lick my balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhath View Post
I was telling so the next guy who wants to try it can find some info on the size needed.

The holes were stripped when I got the truck and it was leaking pretty bad. I thought about helicoil, but the bolts are only 35 cents at the hardware store and it looks like they will work out.
So, can you let us know how much fluid you are losing in about a month?

Why not fix it right?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
joshhath

2 bolts torqued down OK, but the 3rd was stripped all the way up. I couldn't find helicoil in metric anywhere in town, so I used a long bolt and put a nut on top. If you look close the 3rd bolt on the right side of the pic is the one I'm talking about. it is a bit out of focus.

So now that it is holding fluid I got to drive it. I'm very dissapointed. Then engine runs great. did the 6litre tuneup. Had to back the timing bump a little because I got some valve rattle. There doesn't seem to be any power off the line. When I goose it while crusing the engine races but the transmission doesn't seem to get any of that power. I also hear this mechanical whine from under the truck if I floor it. It is hard to describe, like if Chewbacca was a robot and had an asthma attack.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
matt4068

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco, black. a few extra's.
Quote:
When I goose it while crusing the engine races but the transmission doesn't seem to get any of that power.

check your trans fluid level and refrain form driving until youve figure this out or youve made an expensive mistake and its already too late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Hush, you're Canadian, and therefore your opinion doesn't count unless we're asking about moose or hockey.
what spelling bee?
matt4068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
I searched, but I might have missed something.

Several of the bolts on my E4OD pan won't torque because the holes are stripped. I read somewhere on the net that you can use a longer bolt if it is on the sides of the pan, not the ends. I ended up getting things to work with m8-1.25x24 bolts with 2 washers. The x20 was too short.

It is still leaking because I need to swap 2 more bolts out (gotta run to hardware store this weekend), but I was pretty happy to get the new bolts to torque down.
I posted about my accidental stipping several years ago. And in looking at the bolt I realized it was the same size as some metric bolts I had from the body of the bronco from somewhere, don't remember where now. They were about 1/2" longer and the holes on the side of the E4OD are actually threaded all the way through. So I swapped in this longer bolt, was careful with my torque and there are enough threads at the top of the hole to grab just fine.

Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!