4 Link rear end with SAS - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
doubled1178

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco w/ custom scratches and dents
4 Link rear end with SAS

Has anyone ever done a 4-link rear end and had vibration/noise problems with it? Mine makes some noise but I am 99% sure it is just noise and not a problem. Any one experience the same kind of thing?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
BroncoMike13

Bronco Info: Red
well lets see some pics to see what your workin with

1988 w/302 AOD, BW, 79 Dana 44 front with ARB, 4.88s, and alloy shafts, 8.8 rear with detroit, bald 38.5 thornterds
1978 Cherokee Chief Sport w/ fuel injected 401, TH400, Atlas case, Dana 44's w/ lincoln lockers and 4.88s, 42 TSL's
BroncoMike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
aren't those links aweful low? And it's hard to tell but the tube does not look very beefy either.

what kinda driveshaft angle did you end up with, the pic makes it look rather steep, perhaps that's an issue with noise/vibration.

Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
MikE2
Fullsize Member

You've go a hell of a bad pinion angle. I can see that just from the picture.
MikE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
doubled1178

Quote:
You've go a hell of a bad pinion angle
Ok, my pinion angle is off. That is an easy fix. I also found one bracket that wasn't holding the heim joint tightly in place. That caused the heim to rattle back and forth and it caused the entire bar to rattle. I will confirm that there is more noise once I finsih my TRE flip.

Quote:
aren't those links aweful low? And it's hard to tell but the tube does not look very beefy either.
The tube isn't very beefy. I wish that I would have went with something that was much larger, especially because of how long they are. I guess we will have to wait and see how they do. The lower links are below the axle tube and they do kind of look low. IMO they are not that much lower than the extended radius arms on the front.

I used a formula that I found for all of the geometry and angles of the 4 links. You can see it here: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...t_2/index.html

Quote:
well lets see some pics to see what your workin with
Here are some more photos of the finsihed product:

Looking forward you can see the lower links for the rear and the extended radius arms for the SAS. They both go to the bottom of the forward crossmember. The two upper links for the rear end go to the top of the rear crossmember.

You can see the springs as well as the bracket that goes over the diff. To mount the lower spring retainers I drilled a hole through the leaf rest on the top of the axle. Cut the heads off of some bolts, then welded them in place from the bottom. The spring retainers work exactly the same as the front axle on a 78/79, just you use a nut rather than a bolt. The bracket that goes over the diff is where the two upper links mount to.

This is looking at the rear axle from sitting under the front axle. You can see all of the locations of the links. I also used the original mounting locations for the shocks
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
plug ugly
Master Bater

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 4 sticks and 3 pedals
what offset wheels are you using? Do the tires rub the upper coil bucket at all when you stuff? are those 37/12.5 tires?

those links do look very small, I would look to swap for something larger with a .3 or great wall

mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Billingslee
Billdo

Bronco Info: 93 xlt, D60 sas, 10.25 rear, 5.13s, ARBs, 39.5 Iroks, custom stains in the back
need more beef

Billingslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
DcSkater602

Bronco Info: 91 bronco Rain cloud of broken stuff edition
you need to download the 4 link calculator... that geometry setup wont work perfectly for every vehicle... or perfectly at all

dc
DcSkater602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
appy
Fullsize Member

I did a similar 4link on mine. Pics and such in here:http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64795

Didn't do much in the way of calculators though, just kinda winged it. Not built for the road though, just got it close. Have since learned a lot more that I'll incorporate in the next version.
appy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
doubled1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by appy View Post
I did a similar 4link on mine. Pics and such in here:http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64795

Didn't do much in the way of calculators though, just kinda winged it. Not built for the road though, just got it close. Have since learned a lot more that I'll incorporate in the next version.
Thanks for the link to your post. Honestly though, I had already read your post before I did my 4-link. It was helpful and got me going in the right direction.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #11
Andy351
negative creep

Bronco Info: bronco with seats and a steering wheel
that truss thing over the axle is scary. your pinion angle is bad. i'm sure it drives ok, but you need to do some serious re-engineering.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Dan Theman
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
describe the noise. The first time one of links drops down on a rock, I would think it would bend.
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
doubled1178

The noise was a vibration of one of the links. I will confirm that it is gone once I finish the TRE flip.

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps