Chopped top - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
JonELongDong

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport Bronco, 302, upgraded E4OD
Chopped top

Hey so I was in the middle of dropping my trans and getting ready to take out my engine when my neighbor stops by and asks what I planned on doing with it. To make it short, he wants to trade an 82 FSB 351M C6 for my F150. Now this thing is really a POS, but it will be my first Bronco . There isnt a panel on this truck that isnt cancerous, but the worst is on the roof where the rain gutters are. So I was thinking maybe take the top off an chop the roof, fully cage it, and maybe get an upholstery shop to make some sort of vinyl top to snap onto the cage. I think that would be sweet! But if I go completely topless would it ruin the integrity of the body when I wheel it. Im sure it will get alot more body flex. If I get the cage built right could it provide some support and make it more rigid? Im stoked just to be able to get a Bronco, so what do yall think?
JonELongDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
JonELongDong

Nobody wants to talk to me?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
chebbykiller
Convicted Drunk Dialer

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco Custom - 305 L6, ZF 5-speed, NP205, D44, 9"
Well, dunno about you but Ive been at work the past 7 hours...

Anyhow, is the F150 as big a pile as the Bronco? If not, I dont see the point in an even trade.

"Whatís more chickenshit than ****ing with a manís automobile? I mean, donít **** with another manís vehicle." - Vincent Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Take your skirt off, get some jeans on, and chop that shit off with a saw.
chebbykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Redwagon
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
Only seen one member cut the roof off...search for "the von" iirc...if you do remove the roof I would tie the cage into the w/shield frame and b pillars to help strengthen the body...and also tie it in to the frame.

Newest token Jeep owner....

Redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
matt4068

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco, black. a few extra's.
yea it was "the von" that chopped the whole top off of his 78-9 bronco.

i think its a cool idea, but it'd be one hell of a top, considering it would have to meet the windshield, door frames??? what about the door windows?

i like the idea, but dont think it'd be worth it for anything that is more then a wheeling rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Hush, you're Canadian, and therefore your opinion doesn't count unless we're asking about moose or hockey.
what spelling bee?
matt4068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
JonELongDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebbykiller View Post
Well, dunno about you but Ive been at work the past 7 hours...

Anyhow, is the F150 as big a pile as the Bronco? If not, I dont see the point in an even trade.
I was just being goofy. No my F150 is in alot better shape, but Ive always wanted a Bronco, its just that people out here are asking outrageous prices for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Only seen one member cut the roof off...search for "the von" iirc...if you do remove the roof I would tie the cage into the w/shield frame and b pillars to help strengthen the body...and also tie it in to the frame.
Thanks Ill look him up. The way you described the cage is exactly how I want to have it built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4068 View Post
yea it was "the von" that chopped the whole top off of his 78-9 bronco.

i think its a cool idea, but it'd be one hell of a top, considering it would have to meet the windshield, door frames??? what about the door windows?

i like the idea, but dont think it'd be worth it for anything that is more then a wheeling rig.
Yeah it will be mainly an offroad vehicle, but after the top gets cut off I can replace the rest of the body parts. It can be an awe$$$$ome project and look really cool if its done right I think. Ive seen the older Broncos done that way. Even had the cage and body painted in wild combos and they look Really good! I'll post pics of the Bronco as it sits now. And as soon as I get started on it I want to make a build thread.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
89FullsizeBronco

seems like a huge project that will have big problems. I am not telling you not to do it but maybe to do it with a vehicle that is not in such bad shape. You can always ebay your self a vehicle with alot less work. I think that chopping the top is a cool idea however did you ever think of doing a rag type sun roof? that seems to me to be a little sturdier I know that these big broncos have all that body roll and would hate to see you ruin the body the first time you take it off road. just my 2 cents. good luck and post pics either way.
89FullsizeBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
JonELongDong

Well I got the Bronco, pics to follow, no regrets.

I think that chopping the top is a cool idea however did you ever think of doing a rag type sun roof?

What is that? I think if I hook up with the right body man this thing could possibly be put back to a decent condition. Its only going to be for off roading and bad weather driving, such as floods and things of that nature. So I read the other thread where the guy was saying he wanted to do the same to his '95 but was advised not to. Well Im still going to fully cage it and connect it to the frame. From there I dont know what, but wish me luck and give me some ideas if you have any better than chopping the top. Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Wanna Bronco
the bruise

Bronco Info: 1994, 6 inch pro comp lift, 36" super swamper IROK's, 4.88's, Detroit locker, half doors, soft top
off road only, cool, bad weather, not so cool post #33

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...stition&page=2

granted not all the way chopped but i hope you get the point. PS that was May about 50 miles outside San Diego.

but as long as you have a pretty stout cage you should be fine. and if you are going to off road it, who cares about the rust, leave it the way it is and wheel the piss out of it.
Wanna Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech