8 Lug TTB Conversion & Sterling Installed. Rockin' the 8 Lug! - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 393 Stroker. MAF All LED/HID 10.25 rear 4 whl disc 8 Lug/Chevy Hubs D44HD SAS E-Locker
8 Lug TTB Conversion & Sterling Installed. Rockin' the 8 Lug!

Just a few pics now that I'm finally on the road. The 8 Lugs look fantastic. The TTB swap to chevy spindle, caliper bracket, caliper and rotor was more difficult that I thought it would have been and also a word to the wise, even with 16" wheels you STILL have to grind the calipers down. I knew you did for 15"s but you do for 16"s too. No biggie though just time consuming and a PITA. But I'm rocking the 4 wheel disc and the beefy Sterling in the back with a Detroit true track and I still have an E-brake that actually works. Extensive modification of E-brake cables required. I wish I would have taken more pictures but it was hot and I was greasy as heck and I would have trashed my camera, but here are a few pictures anyway.

Also important to note I wound up having to "clock" my Chevy caliper mounts, that 3 oclock and 9 oclock stuff isn't true. You need the calipers to sit basically where the old ones were but its not hard to split the difference where the holes are in the caliper bracket for the spindle studs and just re-drill 6 new holes and put the caliper brackets where you need them. I'm pretty well versed in this project if anyone has any questions. I used 1982 K20 Calipers and Rotors, and Trans-Am Calipers and Rotors in the back on the Sterling.. Also, just for those that want to know a 315/75x16 Yokohama AT-S All Terrains are supposed to be about a 34.4 but are actually more like a 36.2". I had some minor clearance issues but it all worked out in the end. Also, no more sway bars. Darn. What a shame.

Check it out:

RescueBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Brochoncho

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 351 ZF5 4inch Procomp lift 33's basani Y mostly rebuilt...
Looks good! That thing should stop on a dime now.
Brochoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Doba

Got any detailed daytime pics? Nicely done.
Doba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
kf4amu
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
Transam calipers???? You kept your E-brake? I need more details on this one...

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...ail.php?id=819

The best electric fan writeup out there
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40564
kf4amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
yeah...whats up with the pontiac parts?
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
stan the man
Mentally in Cancun.

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Cool! Lets see more pictures! and lets check out that rear ground clearance...

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
spaustin889
ladies enjoy his

Bronco Info: 96, 6'' lift, rebuilt axles, stereo, lots of other stuff
you swapped in another ttb, is that what you said?

and those tires dont quite look 36'' tall

Supermotors for my Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillamonster View Post
dancing is something i should not compete in
spaustin889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 393 Stroker. MAF All LED/HID 10.25 rear 4 whl disc 8 Lug/Chevy Hubs D44HD SAS E-Locker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brochoncho View Post
Looks good! That thing should stop on a dime now.
Yeah.. thanks to you! Where have you been? I'm ready to do that SAS in your garage
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba View Post
Got any detailed daytime pics? Nicely done.
I can take some tomorrow. I have to head to the alignment shop and get the extreme (6 degree) caster/camber bushings, so I can take some better internal shots then (Monday) What to you want to see more of?

Sam
Old 05-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4amu View Post
Yup. Same Calipers as a mid 80's Trans-Am. I probably should have said Cadilliac. They were on Caddys too... I'll snap some shots for you when my center caps get here so you can see the mechanism. I'll have to take the back wheels off then anyway so it'll be easier and yes, my e-brake works perfectly after about 2 hours per side of cable modification and a few cable clamps and a bit of ahem, rigging...
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Cool! Lets see more pictures! and lets check out that rear ground clearance...
I hope your not referring to the center of my pumpkin

I'll post some better pictures..
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
yeah...whats up with the pontiac parts?
GM parts brother, not Pontiac. They came on several GM vehicles that use that one way clutch to adjust the caliper.... They mount and use the same pads as the front K-20 Calipers and have the same size piston in them but they rotate to self adjust instead of just coming straight out of the caliper.....

Sam
Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin889 View Post
you swapped in another ttb, is that what you said?

and those tires dont quite look 36'' tall
Um no. Thats not what I said. I swapped in all Chevy outer parts from the steering knuckle out. Drive Shaft Outers, Spindles, Spindle studs, Hubs, Bearings, Caliper mounts and Calipers... And yes, they are 36" tall. Or, I should say they are 1.2" taller than the fully inflated 35" BFG mud terrain that they were sitting next to. Is that a better way to put it?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
Brochoncho

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 351 ZF5 4inch Procomp lift 33's basani Y mostly rebuilt...
If you get the other bronco out of my drive way maybe my old lady will let me!
I would like to help you do the SAS but I have to many projects in my driveway. She has been pretty cool about everything so far, if I pull another project in the driveway everything will be on craigslist for free if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueBronc View Post
Yeah.. thanks to you! Where have you been? I'm ready to do that SAS in your garage
Brochoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brochoncho View Post
If you get the other bronco out of my drive way maybe my old lady will let me!
I would like to help you do the SAS but I have to many projects in my driveway. She has been pretty cool about everything so far, if I pull another project in the driveway everything will be on craigslist for free if you know what I mean.
I *AM* working on it. My son has been walking two feet off the ground with the thought. Just needed to get this one back on the road, get rid of atleast one of our 3 (soon to be 4) boats and make some room ourselves :)

Besides, tell her we will get it done in a day.. haha

Hope you had a good trip.. and get your damn cell phone fixed!

Sam
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #16
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
KF4AMU:

Here are a few parking brake pics. Its works incredibly well. I've got more p-brake pedal now than I've had in the last 20 years since the truck was new. Pics are self explanatory. I just had to make up some slack and do some mods and I don't have a "swedger" so I just used cable clamps.. Check it out:

Here's the Adjuster & a pic of the cable clamps...

And here's the Trans-Am *ahem* Cadilliac *ahem* GM calipers with E-brake

And a few of the fronts so you can see where the calipers actually have to be mounted in order to be functional or to avoid cutting so much of the steering knuckle that it would be stupid and dangerous...

That is all. P-brake works amazingly well. I'd be happy to answer any questions...

Sam

Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
kf4amu
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
Seems to have alot of bracketry on the rear. Clarify for me, that the caliper bolt-caliper bolt distance is the same with these calipers as the K20? Do the brackets on the caliper that hold the e-brake cables come with the calipers or did you build them?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Seems to have alot of bracketry on the rear. Clarify for me, that the caliper bolt-caliper bolt distance is the same with these calipers as the K20? Do the brackets on the caliper that hold the e-brake cables come with the calipers or did you build them?
There is only one caliper bracket. The Caliper bracket is held in place by another bracket that bolts to the factory square flange. Once again the caliper has to be clocked a particular way to clear the factory flange. Each bracket is held in place by four grade 8 1/2 bolts. The Caliper's bracket that bolts to the factory flange is held in place by 4 grade 8 1/2 bolts. There are also some machined spacers that place the caliper in the correct position for the rotor that just slips over the hub and free floats. I was going to try and move the calipers to the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position but I couldn't because of the factory flange. I also had to machine the rotors on a lathe where the pads were scrubbing but it wasn't a big deal (20 mins each on a lathe).

Here are some pics of another problem I ran into. I wound up grinding a piece of the top caliper bolt flat and making a notch in my top spring so I could get the top caliper bolt in place.

All in all it was a PITA but I'm happy with the end result. Here are a couple more pictures that may clarify. I had the wheels off today to put my center caps on so I snapped a few more for you. Hope this helps. I also have a link to the people that sell the kit and will include it below.

Final question: The brackets come with the E-brake assembly just the way it is, I didn't have to make any of it. I just had to remove the springs from the end of the Ford E-brake cable with a ziz wheel so they were just open cables with a swedge at the end. I then had to take up the slack at the other end as you saw in the other pictures with the cable clamps.

Link to the disc brake conversion.

Hope that helps some.....

Sam
Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #19
kf4amu
Try it now!!

OK a little clearer. The link says Eldorado calipers...I hear they are quite pricey, which is why I was interested in your swap using different calipers. You sure they are different?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #20
RescueBronc
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
OK a little clearer. The link says Eldorado calipers...I hear they are quite pricey, which is why I was interested in your swap using different calipers. You sure they are different?
Thats why I said Trans-Am. I KNOW they came on Trans-Ams too. They came on several GM vehicles in the era.. I'll get you a part number and see if I can do some cross referencing for ya..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech