Ring and Pinion - what size? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Doomsmith

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.8 EFI 351W
Ring and Pinion - what size?

I was driving my Bronco home yesterday when the speedometer stopped working then the rear was slipping really bad, almost like the gears trying to catch with each other (felt more like bucking). I barely made it back and I'm definitely thinking that the ring and pinion is shot but I don't know what size I need to replace it?

Is there anyone that can tell me how I can make sure I'm getting the right sized part?
Doomsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
RickyB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '87 XLT, new crate 5.0, rebuilt AOD, new 31"s, new Warn Premiums, all stock w/125K original miles
Better pull out the old crap first and then ascertain all the damaged parts.

And then order the replacements.............
Old 03-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Most likely if its stock, you have 3.55 gears. There should be a tag attached to the cover of the diff. Maybe just your spider gears blew apart. Regardless, if your speedo quit working, you must have a 92+bronco. The tone ring will most likely be damaged as well.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
Agreed, pull it out then diagnose. from what you describe it is likely you will find the spider gears to be the culprit. also, since you didnt tell us what year your truck is, we dont know which rear end you have.. it could be the 9" or the 8.8.

the way you can tell which it is, is on the 9" the whole 3'rd member comes out pinion, ring/spiders and all, the 8.8 is more typical, with a cover on the back that comes off.

also once you take it apart, if it is the ring/pinion you will need to get the correct splinage (31 spline if its a 9", i dont know about 8.8) and the right gearing. you can count the gears on the ring and pinion, and divide them to find out the ratio. (ring/pinion = ratio)

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Doomsmith

1994 Bronco XLT 5.8 EFI 351W

I took it for a ride around the block to see how it rode after is sat for several hours and it seemed like it was ok. But when I came back down my street it started to feel like it was slippin a little then back to normal.

So the part that could be the problem is called a spider gear? Or does it have another name? I'm only asking so that I could look up the part and get a ball park figure on how much I have to spend.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Joe'Bronco
Call an amberlamps!

Bronco Info: 1992 EB, 302, Dana 50 Shaft, 6" Lift, 35" tires, 4.10 gears, 3" exhaust, Key-less System, Sag Pump
Ball park... Anyware from $25 (new gear oil) to $1000 (new rear end) It all depends... You have to open it up and check it out. If its just your spider's i have a set from my 8.8 that you can have. They are form a LS carrier.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
JD_Bronco
Designated Tranny Killer

Bronco Info: Sold--'89 FSB, 2" lift, lots 'o' lights, custom bumpers, exhaust, intake, stereo, other stuff
Could also be the tranny going out
JD_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_Bronco View Post
Agreed, he could test the trans by seeing how it runs in 4x4 hi-range too.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Doomsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_Bronco View Post
Not possible since I've just put in a new one last week. When it happened it felt like the gear catching was happening in the rear of the truck. Also it sounds like the tires were rubbing before hearing and feeling the gears trying to catch too but there's nothing rubbing at all.

And Joe, if it is the spiders then what do you want for the ones you have? plus shipping? I appreciate the offer too by the way.....
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
offroadbronco4x4

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco, Cobra 5.0 motor bored .030, E40D
well i put in a rebuilt tranny, made it a mile down the road and it locked up, so you can't go by that... ?
4.88 gears
35" X-Terrains for now.

offroadbronco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 XLT, 429 Thunderjet, C6, sh ackle flip in rear, 4" springs in front, 4.56 gears, f& r trac loc
I don't know squat about the newer Broncos, but I assume that the speedo is still driven off the transfer case. IF that is the case, then I suspect the transfer case, seeings how the speedo quit at the same time???

If the Bronco in question was my 78, thats where I would start exploring.
7LBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsmith View Post
Not possible since I've just put in a new one last week. When it happened it felt like the gear catching was happening in the rear of the truck. Also it sounds like the tires were rubbing before hearing and feeling the gears trying to catch too but there's nothing rubbing at all.

And Joe, if it is the spiders then what do you want for the ones you have? plus shipping? I appreciate the offer too by the way.....

Hmm, you JUST did major work with the transmission (a whole new one) and now suddenly the truck is having a problem somewhere between the engine and the tires. Well, surely there were no mistakes made in the new trans install. that is not even possible. so lets just assume it's the rear end "slipping" ....rear ends GRIND and POP when they are going bad (as do T-cases), transmissions however do slip.. check your transmission fluid, while it's running, in neutral. i bet its low!!! sorry i'm being a dick, but its not that hard to diagnose your trucks problem.

IF the transmission fluid is not low, then put your truck in 4wd HIGH range, now your front axle is also locked in with the transmission, which means you truck would drive fairly normally even if ALL the gears from the rear end were stripped, or non-existent for that matter! if you truck drives fine in 4 wheel drive, then we at least know its not the transmission!

go do this test right now and let us know what you find out. dont forget to add transmission fluid.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Joe'Bronco
Call an amberlamps!

Bronco Info: 1992 EB, 302, Dana 50 Shaft, 6" Lift, 35" tires, 4.10 gears, 3" exhaust, Key-less System, Sag Pump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsmith View Post
There yours for free if you NEED them . I want you to check out and diagnose your problems first. You will never learn how to fix your truck correctly if you just throw new parts at it... Trust me i learned the hard way.

1. Check the tranny,
2. Open the rear end up and see whats happening. (pictures are good)
3. Pull axle shafts and check bearings
4. Check your "U" joints

There is a wealth of information on this site. you just have to learn how to use it!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Joe'Bronco
Call an amberlamps!

OPEN up the rear end and drain fluids.

Does it look like this? or are all the gears messed up? Now its your turn...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #15
muffinman944
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco Custom, 1995 Bronco XLT (Fummins)
Seriously, just open it up and look inside. Takes like 30 seconds....
'90 Bronco...parting out

'95 FSB: D60/AAM 11.5'', BTS E4OD/Atlas II, 6.7 Cummins conversion in progress
muffinman944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
snichols96

Bronco Info: 90 bronco xlt, 302 auto 33's on 15x10 wheels/ stock suspension for now
Dang all this talk about opening the rearend is making me want to run out and open mine up and check it all now! I dont want to be going down the road and mine come apart. what fluid do you recomend and do i need to add the additive to it. I have the 8.8 stocker. sorry about the hijack
snichols96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Doomsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe'Bronco View Post
OPEN up the rear end and drain fluids.

Does it look like this? or are all the gears messed up? Now its your turn...
I'll get on that as soon as possible. I did look underneath about a half hour ago before this reply to look at the tag on the diff and noticed something odd. there's a rubber hose dangling by the axle and I'm not sure if it was once attached to it or not but it definitely looked like it was cut and the other end of it isn't attached to anything at all. But here's the numbers I got off the tag:

3L55 8.8 JK06 (I couldn't read the top set of numbers though)

After I got that off the tag I called the local Ford dealership and inquired about parts and the Ring and Pinion they want $425.43, Spider Gears were the cheapest at $111.65, but free is definietly better.

Later on I'm gonna take that cover off and take a camera to share with you fine people what I see.

D2k9!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Doomsmith

Oh and BTW how do you fill the rear back up with gear oil after it's drained?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
46079bronco

Bronco Info: 79 ranger xlt
you would be a fool to spend over $400 on a ring and pinion set....go aftermarket.

the fill plug is on the front of the rear on the driver side normaly
Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
Doomsmith

Exactly my point as to why I posted the prices they're asking. It's ridiculous how much they charge for their parts when you can find better quality aftermarket ones for far less. Like clothes, you're paying for the name not the product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!