C6 Torque Converter Jammed into Front Pump - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Csnyder

C6 Torque Converter Jammed into Front Pump

Three long years after starting the rebuild of my 400 and replacing my C6, my '79 Bronco is just a few hours away from firing up... or should I say, *was* almost ready.

Long story short, I was a bit rushed several months back when the day came to install the torque converter and motor, and now that I look at things a bit closer, I'm pretty sure that the torque converter is jammed into the front pump. With the plugs pulled I can rotate the crank w/ a breaker bar (evidently things aren't bound up *too* badly). But with the flex plate unbolted from the t.c., I'm unable to slide the t.c. back and forth in the trans whatsover, and there is no side-to-side play of the t.c. bolts within the flex plate holes.

Soooooo, now I'm working on pulling the t-case and trans again. Wouldn't be too big of a deal if not for that fact that spare time to work on my truck is so limited.

Once the trans is out, how do I need to go about determining whether or not the torque converter and/or front pump are damaged? Is there anything else I'll need to inspect, such as checking the flex plate for cracks?

Thanks in advance,
- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
I've done this before. just take it loose, seat the T.C. correctly in the trans and put it back together. it'll be fine.

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Redwagon
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauf View Post
I've done this before. just take it loose, seat the T.C. correctly in the trans and put it back together. it'll be fine.
same here...but I ended up cracking the pump and fing up the t/c...pull the t/c out of the trans, if it is damaged you should be able to see it.

Newest token Jeep owner....

Redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
devilwmn

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco 351M / C6
I know this is an old topic, but.......

I being the dumb @$$ did the same thing . A year into it and cant turn it over. Ive reached behind the flex plate and the tc is not moving. Like csynder i don't have alot of time to work on the bronco, my question is can I just undo the bolts from the housing and slide the tranny back to check the tc. When I installed it, I read something posted here that said to make sure its in place and I thought I did. so does anyone have any special tricks to know its in place?
devilwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo D,
Download and save this C6 Description & Operation, Identification Tag, Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature, Troubleshooting, Testing, In-Vehicle Service, R&R, Cleaning & Inspection4.88 MB pdf
usually sells for $35.00
page 8, etc.

GL!

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
InfoFord

Bronco Info: Picador 4 door bronco EFI 460 E4OD electric shift 1356 Tcase 3.55 10.25 rear, 3.54 Dana 44 front
it basicly boils down to if you have to pull the transmission to the engine using the bellhousing bolts then the TC is not engaged to the pump properly
79 Ford CrewCab 4X4(My Dually Project)
79 Ford Bronco and My Boat
InfoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
wyoranch

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco. 6" lift, 35"BFG muds. 351 cleveland
Yeah, when you installed the tc I assume you didn't rotate it and wait to hear the two flanks as it seated?

78 bronco ranger xlt for sale. Straight body.
wyoranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
wyoranch

Clanks

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
devilwmn

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco 351M / C6
Yeah no i didn't. defineately a learning situation. I pulled the tranny back a little bit and the tc turned freely. I think it was seated right, I just didn't have the F'n bolts into the flex plate. yes I know dumb ass!!!! I didn't pull it all the way out, so I am hoping the pump did not get dick'd up. if so I guess I will be doing for the third time and getting some experience. I guarantee I wont make that knuckle head move again!!!
devilwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
when stabbing the TC you will/should feel it drop in 2 distinctive spots. With the motor and tranny mated up You should have at least a 1/2" or more between the TC and flex plate. You will always have to slid the TC towards the flex plate. If the TC is tight to the flex plate to start with and you run the motor you WILL bust the pump gears. Its called stacking the TC.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
wyoranch

Yeah. That can happen. Some flex plates have two sets of holes. The ones you should line up with and some larger ones slightly offset but the tc studs will go in there. It happens. Happened to me not too long ago and I've stabbed tons of em. Became obvious when I tried to put the nuts on lol. You should be fine. Just line em up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech