78 Rock Crawler - Page 2 - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
ScreaminZ

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT 400M/C6/205/60/70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
Are you ditching the front clip permanently?
Absolutely not. The front is my favorite part of these broncos! I don't know if it's going back on full-width like it is now or if i'm gonna pinch it a bit before putting it back on. Either way, it's going back on there.
ScreaminZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #22
ScreaminZ

Here's the Dana 60 that's going under the front of the Bronco. In primer and still no guts until i get whatever welding i need to done. then i'll assemble it 'for real'. Ignore the rest of the junk in the picture. My garage is a disaster area.

Love those big 1-ton brake rotors. Also see my nice new PSC high steer arms

Mmmmmm....beef! Gotta love Ruff Stuff Specialties diff covers

Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #23
Hopper

Bronco Info: Stockish 93 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356; 79, 400/T-18/NP205, D44/9"
What year model 60 is that?

Build looks nice
Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #24
Rigman

Bronco Info: 85 FS Bronco 351w,C6,Atlas 4, D60 35 spline outers Ried knuckles , 14 bolt,5.38, Detroits,42"TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
What year model 60 is that?

Build looks nice
I was thinking the same that looks like a 78-79 kingpin dana 60. If you got it out of a 87 someone must have swapped it in.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #25
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
I was thinking the same that looks like a 78-79 kingpin dana 60. If you got it out of a 87 someone must have swapped it in.
No, it's definitely from an 87. Look at the short side tube on the driver's side. It's only about 2.5" wide. The 78-79 had a few more inches, making mounting brackets, etc. much easier.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit View Post
thats the same setup i'm running. i can almost stand my truck on end and it will still run! Holley recommends about 7psi feed. my electric pump is running about 8-9 psi.
I just read up a little on the Holly Truck Avenger carb. Makes me a bit nervous that the specs say 40 degree climbs, 30 degree sidehills, and 30 degree descent. The sidehill will probably be fine. the decent kinda sucks. I've found myself at much steeper angles than that on a regular basis. The 40 degree climbs will be fine most of the time, but I do periodically end up much steeper than that.

Do you guys who run the Truck Avenger carbs have any trouble with it running for more than a few seconds at really steep angles, or do you just do it for a short time? I don't want to get way up a steep obstacle and have to sit there for a minute while I suck the front axle down and have the engine start stalling.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #27
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Not to be a PITA, but isnt this build more suited in the wheeling related forum since it's being built as a crawler, not a restoration/rebuild?
j. r. Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. r. Nice View Post
Not to be a PITA, but isnt this build more suited in the wheeling related forum since it's being built as a crawler, not a restoration/rebuild?
I suppose you're probably right. I guess I should have read the forum description a little better. Some Mod wanna move it for me?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #29
ScreaminZ

Dang weather. I hauled the front axle up here to work to roll it under the Bronco to take some measurements, etc. but it's pouring rain with no end in sight. Good thing I put a bag over the carb before leaving work yesterday!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #30
78'460
Im scared of jopes

Bronco Info: 78' 4spd 460 38's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaminZ View Post
I just read up a little on the Holly Truck Avenger carb. Makes me a bit nervous that the specs say 40 degree climbs, 30 degree sidehills, and 30 degree descent. The sidehill will probably be fine. the decent kinda sucks. I've found myself at much steeper angles than that on a regular basis. The 40 degree climbs will be fine most of the time, but I do periodically end up much steeper than that.

Do you guys who run the Truck Avenger carbs have any trouble with it running for more than a few seconds at really steep angles, or do you just do it for a short time? I don't want to get way up a steep obstacle and have to sit there for a minute while I suck the front axle down and have the engine start stalling.
I dont know about decent's. But I have went up a pretty steep hill without any problems, The passenger was leaned way forward and just about shit my pants. Ill see if I cant get some pictures of the hill the next time I go there(as soon as I get my rear driveshaft back in)
78'460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #31
KUIKUITZILLA
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: BRONCO 78. Never End Project
my dear friend some updates???? please put pictures, i want to know. Saludos!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
malofish

Bronco Info: 1995 Centurion Bronco
I have never been able to find it again, i think it was poorboy offroad or something like that, but this guy took a 79 and narrowed the entire body 14" and called it the rubicon bronco.. that truck was freekin awsome!!! It had rockwells under it and it just made me want to build one that way...even though i dont think i actually cut up a perfectly good bronco to do that.
malofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #33
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUIKUITZILLA View Post
my dear friend some updates???? please put pictures, i want to know. Saludos!
Unfortunately, it's looking like it will be some time before I can get any major work done to the old Bronco. Between a death in the family, other unexpected events and the fact that my wife is currently a full time student, my bank account is left pretty much drained. This fall, however, my wife will be working and our income should hopefully double. I can hardly wait!

For the time being, I'm just doing research, sketches, etc. I'm also slowly acquiring parts as I can afford them. I have rounded up almost everything necessary to run the engine on propane. That will solve my carburetor concerns. I will be sure to post updates as I make progress, but don't expect any major work until late this year.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #34
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofish View Post
I have never been able to find it again, i think it was poorboy offroad or something like that, but this guy took a 79 and narrowed the entire body 14" and called it the rubicon bronco.. that truck was freekin awsome!!! It had rockwells under it and it just made me want to build one that way...even though i dont think i actually cut up a perfectly good bronco to do that.
I love that build! If I ever have the time and am feeling ambitious, I would love to do the same thing to my Bronco's body. I love the idea of keeping it looking full bodied rather than eventually going to nothing bug a pickup cab for clearance like lots of guys do. Here's a link to the rubicon bronco build:
http://poorboy1.proboards.com/index....d=4268&page=10

Oh, and for another update, I will be scrapping what's left of my 86 Bronco in a couple of weeks. Then I plan to haul my 78 Bronco home so I can start doing some of the free mods to it to fill the time until I can afford to actually buy parts. It's currently sitting out back of the shop at my work where it's hard to get much time to really work on it. At this point, I'm thinking I need to get rid of the added leafs in the rear and do a shackle flip to help it flex a little better. Also, if the leafs on my 86 Bronco are softer than the ones on the 78, I may just use them instead. Also, there's lots of body mods to do to run basically stock height and clear those 42's. Oh, and I'm thinking all that air conditioning stuff needs to go and be replaced by just a heater. Question now is whether to find the stock heater stuff or just throw in a simple aftermarket or homemade heater.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #35
malofish

You should have a heater allready?? Only the a/c was an option. Thanks for the link too! As far as finding heater parts new/used, you should not have a hard time finding anything!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
ScreaminZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofish View Post
You should have a heater allready?? Only the a/c was an option. Thanks for the link too! As far as finding heater parts new/used, you should not have a hard time finding anything!
Yes, I do have a heater already. I just don't need/want that giant box that sticks out of the firewall and figure as long as I'm losing weight by stripping parts, I might as well get rid of that huge wart on the firewall. These earlier FSB's had a different firewall based on whether or not it had A/C, with the heater-only versions being flat over there on that side.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #37
Rockford514
Mud God

Bronco Info: 66,79,79,87
Killer build man
No A/C firewall

Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #38
aquileus

Bronco Info: Bronco xlt 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaminZ View Post
I love that build! If I ever have the time and am feeling ambitious, I would love to do the same thing to my Bronco's body. I love the idea of keeping it looking full bodied rather than eventually going to nothing bug a pickup cab for clearance like lots of guys do. Here's a link to the rubicon bronco build:
http://poorboy1.proboards.com/index....d=4268&page=10

Oh, and for another update, I will be scrapping what's left of my 86 Bronco in a couple of weeks. Then I plan to haul my 78 Bronco home so I can start doing some of the free mods to it to fill the time until I can afford to actually buy parts. It's currently sitting out back of the shop at my work where it's hard to get much time to really work on it. At this point, I'm thinking I need to get rid of the added leafs in the rear and do a shackle flip to help it flex a little better. Also, if the leafs on my 86 Bronco are softer than the ones on the 78, I may just use them instead. Also, there's lots of body mods to do to run basically stock height and clear those 42's. Oh, and I'm thinking all that air conditioning stuff needs to go and be replaced by just a heater. Question now is whether to find the stock heater stuff or just throw in a simple aftermarket or homemade heater.
Thanks for that link, the poorboy truck is awsome and give us many ideas, hope to see your project in progress soon.
aquileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
ScreaminZ

Just thought I'd throw in another quick update. I did some cutting and grinding on that front Dana 60 to fit some of those weld-on radius arm wedges. Looks like that's gonna be the best way to go to stay within the current budget. Will go with stock radius arms to get this thing going soon and will extend & bend the arms and add a heim joint on down the road. I've got a spare set of arms just for that. Anyway, here's where the driver's side wedges fit in there. It's a tight fit, but I was able to get by with only cutting off about an inch of the diff:

Passenger side:

Front:

The ol' girl's back to sitting on 4 tires again!

If you look back at this pic again:

You can see that I'm definitely going to have to move the track bar bracket. Unfortunately, it's right in the way of my high steer arm, and I'm not willing to give up high steer. And since I'm going with full hydro, geometry on the track bar isn't as limited as it would be if I were running a regular steering box.

Looks like I'm going to pretty much have to stick with the current ride height though instead of going lower, unless I modify the frame a bit as everything's pretty tight as it sits. I need to have some uptravel for when I want to haul ass. I'll get it on a level concrete surface before I tack on the wedges and will also measure frame height to see if I want to try to get lower or not. Currently on the gravel it looks to be measuring around 19" at the bottom of the frame with 33" tires. With 42's that'll end up probably closer to 23.5" under the frame. Not horrible I guess.

I dunno if these are stock springs or if they've got a bit of lift, but they seem about right for what I want to do. Anybody got any idea how I can tell how much lift these springs give? I'd like to go with deavers or something else really flexy, but would like to get some idea how much adjusting I need to make to get back to this same ride height. May just need to experiment a bit.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #40
malofish

Nice, haul it home and finish her! Need help clearing out the garage???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.