Forgot to prime the oil pump...stupid is as - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 5.8L w/95frontclip, 4"Superlift, 33x10.5 K&N, 3"Bassani Exhaust, Summit Shorties,Blisten5100
Forgot to prime the oil pump...stupid is as

So as the title says I jumped the gun a little bit. After installing a new water pump, timing cover, timing chain and gears, oil pump, oil pick up tube, headers, Bassani y pipe and power steering pump I got a little excited to start her up last night and forgot to manually prime my oil pump with a priming tool. I did prime it somewhat when I installed it in the pan. I started it up the first time for about 2 seconds and turned it off when I heard some squealing, which was somewhat difficult over the new exhaust set up. I checked the things out and noticed that the belt was jumping the pulley. The power steering pump pulley was fully seated. So I pressed it on further which fixed the belt issue. So thinking I corrected the issue and not remembering that I did not prime the pump, I started it up again and shut it back down after about another 2-3 seconds after noticing no oil pressure. THIS IS WHEN THE LIGHT BULB TURNED ON!!! How could I be so stupid? I just spent a good 30 minutes explaining to my daughter steps we needed to take to get the engine ready to fire (including priming the power steering pump, adding coolant, new hoses, belts, oil, priming the pump, etc etc)

So now to the question and sorry for ranting. How much damage do you think could have occurred with my little mishap?
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Vetter

More than likely none. Couldn't of been as worse as starting a cold car here in Michigan when it's -10 degrees. You still had plenty of residual oil in all the bearings and rings. Now, if you would of done a complete rebuild, that would be a different story.
Prime the pump to be safe, and be sure you don't get vapor lock, then start her up and go.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
KC200787
Kitteh Commandaar!

Bronco Info: 2006 F150 Lariet 4x4 ECSB - 5.4 Trition
I doubt you did anything at all IMO. Now, I agree with above...if it was a fresh rebuild...then I'd be more concerned.

KC
DD-1996: Subaru Legacy L, AWD, 2.2L H4 217K+
KC200787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Need4racin
Banned

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 302/E4OD & 90 EB 302/AOD
I want to say most likely no damage at all. There is a video on youtube of people trying to blow a bronco engine with no coolant and liquid glass for oil, and it took 6 mins at full throttle to seize the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5Sm3A7rFg
Need4racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Says new oil pump. Did you at least install the oil pump wet? Like poured some oil in it and spin the gears before installing?

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
So as the title says I jumped the gin a little bit. After installing a new water pump, timing cover, timing chain and gears, oil pump, oil pick up tube, headers, Bassani y pipe and power steering pump I got a little excited to start her up last night and forgot to manually prime my oil pump with a priming tool. I did prime it somewhat when I installed it in the pan. I started it up the first time for about 2 seconds and turned it off when I heard some squealing, which was somewhat difficult over the new exhaust set up. I checked the things out and noticed that the belt was jumping the pulley. The power steering pump pulley was fully seated. So I pressed it on further which fixed the belt issue. So thinking I corrected the issue and not remembering that I did not prime the pump, I started it up again and shut it back down after about another 2-3 seconds after noticing no oil pressure. THIS IS WHEN THE LIGHT BULB TURNED ON!!! How could I be so stupid? I just spent a good 30 minutes explaining to my daughter steps we needed to take to get the engine ready to fire (including priming the power steering pump, adding coolant, new hoses, belts, oil, priming the pump, etc etc)

So now to the question and sorry for ranting. How much damage do you think could have occurred with my little mishap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post
Says new oil pump. Did you at least install the oil pump wet? Like poured some oil in it and spin the gears before installing?
it's a crap shot there....

I do not think you hurt anything. Just think of it as changing the oil in your engine. look how it take a little longer to get oil pressure.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 5.8L w/95frontclip, 4"Superlift, 33x10.5 K&N, 3"Bassani Exhaust, Summit Shorties,Blisten5100
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I did install the oil pump wet and hand cranked it a bit before putting it in. I will stop by AZ on the way home and pick up a priming tool and hopefully get it going. I appreciate the help!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Wildjon

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco 302
Disconnect the ignition coil...turn it over a few times until you see pressure. It'll be fine, promise. No sense in yanking the dizzy and re-timing the motor.
Wildjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

Well boys it is worse than I thought. After pulling the dizzy it looks like my oil pump rod missed the dizzy hole...insert joke here. It is running just outside the shaft hole and resting nicely up against the bottom of one of the cam gears. Had I primed the oil pump with the primer tool like I should have I would have caught my mistake and saved some possible damage. I guess I will drop the pan tomorrow and assess the damage. Moral of the story...don't rush things and follow the play book.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
And how long have you ran the motor?

That blows......I feel your pain.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

only 4 -5 seconds combined. I turned it off right away when it didn't sound right. My daughter said it sounded like a saw cutting wood...nice analogy. The cam gear doesn't look too bad from the top so the oil pump shaft may not touch the cam gear. I wont know until I drop it.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
4-5 seconds is not long enough to hurt anything in my mind. prime the pump, and put the shaft in correctly. they are supposed to be installed from the pan side and have a clip on them so you can pull the dizzy and the shaft stays in the pump.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

Jopes, your optimism is a ray of sunshine...Man, I hope you are right. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #14
Wildjon

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
4-5 seconds is not long enough to hurt anything in my mind. prime the pump, and put the shaft in correctly. they are supposed to be installed from the pan side and have a clip on them so you can pull the dizzy and the shaft stays in the pump.
I concur

Drove 10 minutes with a failing/failed oil pump (no choice at the time), bearings were still usable (upper end of the clearance) but I replaced them anyways. No cylinder damage (that I can tell, compression is perfect 150psi) and starts on the 2nd turn every time. Now if I can only track down why it won't go to a cold high idle when it used to before the pump replacement, I'll be good.
Wildjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Scotiapilot

Bronco Info: 1987 EB
A lot of engine builders will start an engine without priming. Its a quick way of seating and running in bearing and rings. I doubt you will have any problem at all. But for sure I would change the oil promptly.
2005 Jaguar XKR Vert
Scotiapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
monkei

Bronco Info: 1992 5.0 E40d 6"lift, MAF conversion in progress, 351 roller block waiting... much more
Is the pump driveshaft bent at all from being tightened without proper seating?
monkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
waltman
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Well boys it is worse than I thought. After pulling the dizzy it looks like my oil pump rod missed the dizzy hole...insert joke here. It is running just outside the shaft hole and resting nicely up against the bottom of one of the cam gears. Had I primed the oil pump with the primer tool like I should have I would have caught my mistake and saved some possible damage. I guess I will drop the pan tomorrow and assess the damage. Moral of the story...don't rush things and follow the play book.
The same thing happened to me. I realized something was wrong when there was no pressure after a couple seconds, shut it down and discovered I missed the dizzy I had to raise the motor again to install the rod correctly. I wouldn't worry about a few seconds of running it dry, I have well over 60,000km on my motor and everything is perfectly fine..
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
RiverSteve

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco 300 NP435 NP208 Project
As long as you installed the pump wet no problems.
RiverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #19
87Mater

Bronco Info: 1990 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 351
the oil pump shaft broke in my uncle's truck and that thing ran for 3 minuts untill we shut it off. got a new pump shaft and the engine is still running fine with almost 300,000 miles on it (it was in a 300 I6 though but an engine is an engine)

1994 F-150 XL 2WD: 300 EFI : 5 speed
304,789 miles totaled but the engine will live on
87Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
TheWolf
FSM Lifetime

Luckily the pump drive shaft did not catch on anything or bend. I ended up dropping the shaft in from the top of the dizzy which was much easier to align than from the bottom. I know it may become an issue in the future if it comes out with the dizzy but it was easy enough to drop in place form the top. I bolted everything up and it ran great, with plenty of pressure. The only issue I see right now is a leak in the rear main seal and tranny gasket. I'll tackle this on a future date. Thanks to everyones for the help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech