Front shock mount replacement(dual shock version) - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
bubbasuwannee

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Front shock mount replacement(dual shock version)

I plan to replace my shocks this spring/summer. I noticed that the front shocks mounts are really rusty and brittle. I'd like to replace these when I do that shocks. I know they're riveted into the frame. How hard will these be to replace? Any suggestions? I did some searching, but only found examples of people repairing these, not replacing. Thanks!
bubbasuwannee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
m8r8j
Troll

Bronco Info: 1988 black f150, 302, 5 speed, sas'd
just drill the rivets out and bolt the new ones in with high grade bolts
m8r8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
bubbasuwannee

Great, figured there wasn't much to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
FE Bronco

Bronco Info: Just SOME of my Dad's medals!! Moving to WA for a while to get to know him now that I found him!
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.

85 XLT 351W 4bbl / C6 - stock FOR NOW!!

The greatest thread ever on FSB! IMHO
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=154751
FE Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
bubbasuwannee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Bronco View Post
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.
Good point. I plan to anti-rust the underside as much as possible this summer. Got loads of stuff on my to-do list.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
zrxw13

Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
If your doin all that work to take off the stock bucket anyways, i would get a stock 78-79 coil bucket, and put f-250 shock towers on either side of it, then you can upgrade to longer shocks, and the double eye mount style rather than stock eye/post mount...

F-250 shock towers: Clicky
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
bubbasuwannee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxw13 View Post
If your doin all that work to take off the stock bucket anyways, i would get a stock 78-79 coil bucket, and put f-250 shock towers on either side of it, then you can upgrade to longer shocks, and the double eye mount style rather than stock eye/post mount...

F-250 shock towers: Clicky

What's the advantage to that? I plan to keep it pretty much stock, i.e. no lift or bigger wheels/tires.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
ford460

If you switch over to the double shock mount, will the extra shock just bolt or mount on or is there some type of fabing you have to do.
ford460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
zrxw13

Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
well if you plan to keep it stock then i wouldnt worry about it...

the advantages it would bring is to give you more shock options w/ the double eye mount, as well as give you a much longer shock for more travel.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
zrxw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford460 View Post
If you switch over to the double shock mount, will the extra shock just bolt or mount on or is there some type of fabing you have to do.
make sure i understand your question: if you switch over from a factory single shock to factory double shocks?

if that is your question, IIRC that if your BKO came w/ single factory shocks upfront that there is only one shock mount on the axle. so you would have to fab a second mount on the axle to mount the second shock.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
bubbasuwannee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxw13 View Post
well if you plan to keep it stock then i wouldnt worry about it...

the advantages it would bring is to give you more shock options w/ the double eye mount, as well as give you a much longer shock for more travel.

Thanks. Man, that sure looks clean!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
bubbasuwannee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Bronco View Post
Yup, my driver's side rear leaf mount was totally gone. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. I've had a clunk/pop coming from the rear ever since I got it. The passenger side rear has already been replaced.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
tommy71383tl

hey where would I get the spring tower I can find them Mine rusted on my bronco and i want to replace them
tommy71383tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
bubbasuwannee

http://www.lmctruck.com/
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
zrxw13

Tommy, if you just want factory replacments then get them from broncograveyard.com

I dont know anything about your bronco tho... what year is it? do you have factory dual shocks or singles? Do you want to just do stock replacments or do you want to upgrade to long travle shocks?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
deathmobile2

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's, Locked on both ends,4" Superflex Lift, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
What shock model is that?!
deathmobile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasuwannee View Post
I plan to replace my shocks this spring/summer. I noticed that the front shocks mounts are really rusty and brittle. I'd like to replace these when I do that shocks. I know they're riveted into the frame. How hard will these be to replace? Any suggestions? I did some searching, but only found examples of people repairing these, not replacing. Thanks!
I replaced my driver side mount when I did my frame off. Not bad to do. I ground mine down with a die grinder / cut-cut off wheel and air hammered 'em out. I final finished my frame and then bolted the new ones back with grade 8 fasteners.

Here's a sample.....several pics forward show what was behind.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
j. r. Nice is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!