Turn Signal Cancel Cam Problems - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Ubermich

Bronco Info: 90 XLT 351
Turn Signal Cancel Cam Problems

Howdy,
My left turn signal cancel cam broke & I have to fix it before it will pass state inspection. So I picked up the HELP! brand cancel cam which is supposed to fit (and does appear to match) my '90. I have a couple of problems:
1) While removing the old cam, the two springs fell out. They are ~1 1/4"x1/4" and appear to fit neatly in a slot between the cam and the steering shaft, stacked one on top of the other.
2) After splicing the new wires into the old switch wires and half-way putting everything back together, the signals don't work. The hazards do work.
3) The new cancel cam doesn't hold. This is why I'm thinking I might have the springs above installed wrong. If I only install one spring, then it will hold, but not with both.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBronco82
Nah, the third time we knocked the tree over and got you out...
Originally Posted by StormCaller
Try eating MREs almost constantly for a month... boy was I plugged up good...
Originally Posted by 1clean5.8
Some people should have been swallowed
Ubermich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
WGraham

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8 liter
I tried the help replacement cam and had the same problem. Everything I have found and read on the subject says not to use the HELP cam as it doesn't work. I ended up having to change my turn signal switch out to fix the problem. Good luck hope this helps!
WGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Ubermich

Do you happen to have any links to other people talking about the HELP cam? If I can figure out how to make the electrics work I can file away or find some way to make the cam work.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
navynuke

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco
Just replaced the entire switch in my bronco, those things are pricey, and a pain to swap with the tilt wheel. Good luck, if not autozone was as cheap as anyplace else for the switch. Although mine is quite a bit older than yours.
navynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Ubermich

Quote:
Originally Posted by navynuke View Post
Just replaced the entire switch in my bronco, those things are pricey, and a pain to swap with the tilt wheel. Good luck, if not autozone was as cheap as anyplace else for the switch. Although mine is quite a bit older than yours.
That's my problem. I've already bought & spliced in the cam
I don't really want to pay the extra $50 for the whole switch.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
jnelson65us

Bronco Info: 1988 ford 351 red and tan eddie bauer
I recently had the same problem. When I hit my signal to go right it wouln't stay so I had to hold it. I read on here that it was just a matter of replacing the cam. So I got one at a JY and put it in and it immediatly snapped. So then I decided to buy the one in the help section and put it in but it never seemed to fit quite right and didn't work when trying to click in either direction. So then I said screw it I'll buy the whole assembly (aftermarket) and put it in and be done with the problem once and for all. I got it in and the platic that the cam was made of didn't have the same feel as the oem and turning the signal lever was difficult. Both signals did work along with the Hazards. Once that is. They totally stopped working and I was getting really annoyed at this point. Did lots of searces on here and replaced the flasher relay thing thinking I must have just blown it out. Didn't work and I spent 60 bucks for this stupid turn signal assembly. So I took it back (Vatozone) and decided to try the junkyard one more time for the whole assembly. Well I scored the only one in the lot as most bronco's have the whole column ripped out. Ripped the the steering wheel for the 10th time it seemed, got it on and still nothing. I was feeling desperate at this point that I couln't figure out a stupid turn signal problem and driving without flashers was making me paranoid about getting a ticket. Took a deep breath retraced my steps and decided to check all of my fuses, well it turns out I had a 15 amp fuse that was killin me the whole time. The oem from the JY fit right and feels right when turn signal lever. Yeah it might break again sometime down the road but whatever. Long story short. DONT BUY TURN SINAL CAM IN THE HELP SECTION.
jnelson65us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
Quote:
Originally Posted By jnelson65us
DONT BUY TURN SINAL CAM IN THE HELP SECTION.

I agree. The feel of the aftermarket turn signal switches are different and they reportedly break easily.

I installed a Motorcraft Turn Signal Switch and ran the switch harness down the entire length of the steering column. A little money and a little work, and just plug it in to the vehicle harness. Don't splice or settle for something marginal that you will use every time you drive. Feels good as new - even better!

Some critical or luxury components require OEM.

(Please note that on my 1990 FSB Daily Driver a turn signal switch is a luxury item. Same as the floor switch that turns on my high beams...).
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
broncoflorida

Bronco Info: 87FSB, 302 020 over ,3g alt, GT40 heads, Exp intake , Bassani Exhaust and 24" Magnaflow muffler
Quote:
That's my problem. I've already bought & spliced in the cam
I don't really want to pay the extra $50 for the whole switch.

if you change the switch and re-spliced everthing , whats not working ?

the turn signal cancellation is all mechanical. I did mine about 3 years back and the complete outfit from NAPA was like $55.00 dollars with a AAA discount. I did have problems finding the right one for a 87 FSB. I had to place on a 1988 model iirc.
broncoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
91 bronc

Bronco Info: 95 eddie bauer 5.8 auto
The only thing u need is the shee-mar cam part# sm-16 i used it with no problems at all .
91 bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Ubermich:

First try www.broncolinks.com and see what you come up with there, if not then "search" here for this thread: Ignition Actuator Replacement w/85 Tilt or something reasonably close to that and you'll see step by step pictures on how to AND you'll have a reference for your "directional signal cam" and see if you can put it back together......

I think there's a vender listed here at FSB named Tony with 1A Autoparts that has a good price/quality cam, the Help ones are crap as stated by Steve83 tech tip a while back..

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech