460 and zf-5 swap in 79 bronco - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Frizzman123

460 and zf-5 swap in 79 bronco

Hey I got a 79 Bronco in ohio, and its got the 400m and c6, well since i am already thinking of doing a 460 swap. Well when I was at my local pull apart getting some stuff today I found 1990 F-350 with a 460 and zf-5 trans. Unfortunetly it is a 2wd truck so my question is is all i have to change on the trans is the tailhousing to mount my np205 to or do I have to change alot more things in the trans. I have heard that the np205 will bolt directly up to the zf-5. If its going to be a problem with the trans ill leave the trans and just buy the 460. Help me please thanks!
Frizzman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
78bronco460
press ALT+F4

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco with motor, axles and stuff
The ZF won't work without changing at least the output shaft and extension housing. If you can get it cheap it's a good source of rebuild parts, but I'd recommend getting a 4x4 trans. Definitely get the clutch, flywheel, master/slave cylinders, clutch pedal + shaft if you're going to do the ZF swap.
I have a 203 behind my ZF so I don't have the troubles of fitting the 205 shifters, but it amounts to notching the extension housing flange for the shift rails so it looks like the adapter on the back of your C6. It's a very easy thing to do. Otherwise it is a bolt-up deal. Even your old drivelines will still fit.

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech