bad fuel pump?? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
smitty88

Bronco Info: 96 , 351w, 2inch lift, 33inch tires
bad fuel pump??

i have a 96 351w. i stopped short at a light the other day and the truck died. got it towed and then the next morning it started up and ran for about 3 min. the truck then turned off and hasnt started since. i no longer hear the pump kick on when i turn the key on. i tried a new relay.... not knowing what exact relay it was i took one out at a time and replaced it with the new one. none of them worked to engage the pump. ive been researching for a while now and im getting all sorts of mixed ideas.... ive heard of some broncos having 2 fuel pumps (inline and in tank) , hit the tank with a hammer to try to get it to kick on haha, all sorts of fuses and fuseable links... any ideas? or just replace the pump. no codes come up, no engine light, fuel guage works fine, zero noise from pump. i do hear a click under the hood but it clicks when my abs light turns off... idk if that means anything thanks
smitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
Sounds like your fuel pump is dead. You only have one, and its in the fuel tank. Easiest way to access it is to cut an access panel into your cargo area.

You'll find a few write ups around here that give you measurements on where to cut.
justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
smitty88

Bronco Info: 96 , 351w, 2inch lift, 33inch tires
thanks yea thats what i figured. i just looked at the posts about an access panel and thats what im gonna do. any ideas on what pump to buy so im not changing one every year
smitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
goober

Bronco Info: '94 XLT stock 5 speed manual t-case (my 3rd bronco)
the most important thing with in tank fuel pumps, is don't run your truck low on fuel much. If you are constantly getting down to 1/8 tank or less before filling up, then your pump is getting damaged by sucking air alot. when you turn, brake, accelerate your gas will slosh away from the pump and it runs dry for a short amount of time, the happening over and over will destroy one. in about a year if you are a chronic broke person and squeezing around on as little gas as possible.

did that in college, went through about 1 fuel pump a year until someone told me, now I don't let her get below 1/8 tank and haven't burnt up one in the last 6 years...

'94 XLT stock 5 speed 302
goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty88 View Post
thanks yea thats what i figured. i just looked at the posts about an access panel and thats what im gonna do. any ideas on what pump to buy so im not changing one every year
You'll pay, but you can't go wrong with Motorcraft.
justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!