1995 Bronco Plow Setup - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
sssenior25

1995 Bronco Plow Setup

Hi i have a 1995 Bronco XLT and i want to make some money plowing this winter. I was wondering what kind of plow mount i would need for my bronco, and also will any plow setup fit my mount? thanks
sssenior25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
mettler

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT / 1993 Lightning
Bronco's arent really the right rig to use for that application but, a Western or Myers plow would do fine. You might want to consider weighting the rear of the vehicle and beefing up the springs.

When I was young my father had '76 F-250 that he went all out on the snow plow set up. He got a Fisher plow. He had an extra leaf added to the front springs, built the hydrolic pump onto the engine, and built a sliding box in the bed for counter weight. That was the coolest set up Ive ever seen.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
broncoflorida

Bronco Info: 87FSB, 302 020 over ,3g alt, GT40 heads, Exp intake , Bassani Exhaust and 24" Magnaflow muffler
Quote:
Bronco's arent really the right rig to use for that application
Most of the plows up north that I've seen where broncos or k5s.And seem todo a fair job.
broncoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
bigb6456

You will need to add Springs, Broncos are great plow trucks due to their short wheel base which is a preference for a plow truck also you do not need to worry about weighting the back end, it is a bronco not a pick up. In fact you don't have to weight the back end of a pick up either; it is a 4x4.

To add a new plow expect to spend around $5,000.00 for a commercial set up, yes you can get a way with a bottom of the line setup but I would spend the extra money for the commercial setup. Around here Boss is the blade of choice but there are a few other choices out there.

Good luck with the plowing & make sure you have your pricing figured out right or you could end up losing money. If this is your first time plowing I would suggest doing contractual work to start with.
bigb6456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
TheBeardedOne

Bronco Info: 92 F-150 ext cab 5.8 3" Summit BL 1.5" Rough Country coils LockRights f/r Warn Premiums
you could look for a good used plow, preferably from a ford from 92-96. If you do that at least the wiring harness for the lights will be right. Most any plow you buy will have a mount available for your Bronco. I dont think the mounts are the same between the F-150 and the leaf spring trucks, if you happen to get one off a F-250/350. But the mounts themselves arent too expensive to buy on their own. I wouldnt buy one with an engine driven hydraulic pump because most arent set up for serpentine, and are expensive to replace. keep an eye on craigslist, there are deals to be had. Another thing to look into is an air helper that fits inside your front coils. It is inflatable with an air hose and will help keep your front end up.
TheBeardedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
gr8whitebronco
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 96 4-door C-350 on 37's,460--93 Bronco 6" + 35's 351---1990 F350 stock on 35's 460
Well I DO plow with a 1993 bronco----You should put a little weight in the back(Yes it is a 4x4 BUT if the back tires are spinning and all the traction is on the front--That is how you break things!) I have a meyer 7.5 on mine and when I pick up the plow it looks like the back raises up so high it will come off the ground. I will be putting air bags in the front springs. It does plow great and because of the short wheelbase it turns nice and tight.
gr8whitebronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
How much does the ENTIRE plow set-up weigh anyways ?
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
The plow set up i had before was around 4 to 5 hundred lbs

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
ProBronco

Bronco Info: 80 Bronco XLT 302 4sp, 4"lift on 35" Factory LS F&R
I will add, air bags work SWEET in the front...............
ProBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Ituen

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.0L no lift, 31" ATs
I'm going to do some research on a plow for my truck. Snow removal with a shovel sucks.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
jeepeater

plows

i run a rear mount from superplow on a '93 5.8. it's pretty sweet. i've never plowed otherwise. they run about $2500, weigh about 350lbs and come on and off at will. you don't have to drive around with it when you don't need it. for me that's huge. plus, storing it is much more flexible with the cart it comes with.
i clear my lot (60 x 100) and my friends and families driveways. most of the time i don't use the 4x4. unless of course i put my self in an awkward spot.
it's worth checking out. http://www.superplow.com/
jeepeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #12
Americandan

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 XLT
my friend just got one for his Silverado and asked if i wanted to do it for my bronco. my only issue is I don't have storage place for the plow; I mean, i can definitely work something out with a neighbor that owns a marina and has tons of space but that becomes tricky too if sh*t hits the fan with either party.
Americandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
For thos who have a plow on their Bronco or F series, look @ this and let us know if you have similar set-up or anything diff from it;

TSB 96-02-04 Snow Plowing and SRS

Publication Date: JANUARY 15, 1996

LIGHT TRUCK: 1994-96 F-150
ISSUE: Some customers have questioned if snowplowing will lead to possible unintended deployment of the air bag supplemental restraint (SRS) in the subject vehicles. The following general information is provided to assist you when responding to these inquiries.

ACTION: Refer to the following information when responding to customer inquiries.

GENERAL INFORMATION

SRS AND PERSONAL USE SNOW REMOVAL ARE COMPATIBLE
The F-150 Regular Cab 4X4 is equipped with safety belts and a driver SRS. Ford engineers evaluated the SRS on an F-150 Regular Cab 4X4 in snow removal applications by installing representative snowplow hardware. They tested the vehicle under a variety of conditions to simulate low speed, personal use snow removal. The results of the tests indicated an appropriately equipped, F-150 Regular Cab 4X4 and its SRS are compatible with low speed, personal use snow removal.

The driver SRS is designed to deploy in moderate-to-severe frontal crashes.

The SRS is designed to activate in a frontal collision equivalent to hitting a solid barrier (such as a wall) at about 23 km/h (14 mph) or more, or roughly speaking, a full frontal perpendicular collision with a parked car or truck of similar size at 45 km/h (28 mph) or more.
Careless or high speed driving while plowing snow which results in vehicle decelerations equivalent to or greater than the air bag deployment threshold described above, would deploy the air bag.
Such careless driving also increases the risk that a driver may become involved in an accident. If this occurs, the SRS is designed to deploy and provide protection for the driver.

RECOMMENDATIONS
When using the vehicle for snow removal, never modify or defeat the "tripping mechanisms" designed into the snow removal equipment by its manufacturer. Doing so may cause damage to the vehicle and the snow removal equipment as well as possible SRS deployment.
Commercial snow removal applications should utilize F-250 HD Regular Cab 4X4, F-350 Regular Cab 4X4 or F-350 4X4 Chassis Cab vehicles which are much more appropriate for the rigors of long hours of plow operation.
As with all vehicles which contain an SRS system, Ford recommends that you always properly wear your safety belts and never tamper with, disconnect, or deactivate the SRS.

As with earlier model F-150's without SRS, Ford continues to recommend vehicle specifications for F-150 Regular Cab 4X4 vehicles suitable for snow removal which are found below:
F-150 4X4 Regular Cab* - 133" Wheelbase
84 Amp Battery
Super Engine Cool
V-8 Engine
Manual Locking Hubs
Front Suspension Package
Automatic Transmission
All Terrain Tires
NOTE: (*) F-SERIES SUPERCAB AND SHORT WHEELBASE MODELS AS WELL AS BRONCO AND ALL COMPACT TRUCKS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SNOW REMOVAL.

SNOW REMOVAL HARDWARE
Only installations shown in the appropriate Ford Truck Body Builders Layout Book have been evaluated by Ford. Different snow removal hardware may have different attachment points to the frame and may or may not affect deployment of the SRS.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 94-02-19
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Ituen

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.0L no lift, 31" ATs
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8whitebronco View Post
"Well I DO plow with a 1993 bronco...".
What kind of diffs are you running front and rear? Do you need a locking rear diff or can you get away with a limited-slip?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
kml9705
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT, 5.8L, 4" BDS lift, Sixlitre tuneup, Getto cold air Intake, 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 160 amp 3G
I plow with my 94. It works great, the only issue is the front springs. I added these air bags from Summit and the issue was gone. But I do have to deflate them when the plow is off.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-60769/

I have a Meyer EZ mount on mine, 7' plow with the extensions. It works good. It came of of a 94 F150 I once had. Any F150 mounting of the same year should fit fine.

Just don't drive with the plow all the way up, it blocks the air flow to the radiator and the truck will overheat...

Good Luck
Attached Images

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofway View Post
so you're saying you like it when your "buddy" hits you in the rear?
kml9705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
mwalsh9152

Bronco Info: 95 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco
I have an 8' Diamond MDII on my Bronco. With the powerstroke and the plow I certainly need some ballast, but I put it to the test in this past storm and didnt have any problems.
mwalsh9152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeater View Post
i run a rear mount from superplow on a '93 5.8. it's pretty sweet. i've never plowed otherwise. they run about $2500, weigh about 350lbs and come on and off at will. you don't have to drive around with it when you don't need it. for me that's huge. plus, storing it is much more flexible with the cart it comes with.
i clear my lot (60 x 100) and my friends and families driveways. most of the time i don't use the 4x4. unless of course i put my self in an awkward spot.
it's worth checking out. http://www.superplow.com/
Those things are a POS and not worth the money IMO. Whats the point of driving over the snow you need plowed and it wont work if the snow is deep cause you will just bury yourself. I never had a problem storing my plow and it only took 5 min if that to put it on or take it off.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
youngbuck007

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8
I just picked up a 94 Bronco XLT and plan on putting my Meyer 7ft plow on it as well to do driveways and make some $$ when we get some decent snow around here... which isn't terribly often. Instead of airbags in the springs like Ken mentioned I was thinking of opting for the heavier duty coil springs. I have seen people on here recommend the Moog CC844 or CC844S to offset the weight of a steel plow setup when lifted. My only concern is that my Bronco is all stock and if I put those springs in I am afraid the front end would be higher than the back whenever the plow isn't on the truck, which would be 98% of the time. Also, I only have the single shock in the front, if I do put the F250 springs do I need to replace the stock grade shock as well?
youngbuck007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
KM81

Bronco Info: 87 Bronco (The Plow Truck) 89 Bronco (The Parts Truck) 90 Bronco (Frame Off Resto Truck)
I have a Western Unimount 7 1/2 foot on mine. I have 38 driveways and 18 gas stations that I service. I have F350 springs up front and I still need the airbags. A full 7-8 foot plow setup weighs around 1200# I dont need ballast in the back because I keep all my salt back there and it weighs around 500#'s.
KM81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
EzPc

Bronco Info: 1990 Ford Bronco-5.0L-5sp - 1992 F150 XLT Flareside 5.0L 4spd Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck007 View Post
I just picked up a 94 Bronco XLT and plan on putting my Meyer 7ft plow on it as well to do driveways and make some $$ when we get some decent snow around here... which isn't terribly often. Instead of airbags in the springs like Ken mentioned I was thinking of opting for the heavier duty coil springs. I have seen people on here recommend the Moog CC844 or CC844S to offset the weight of a steel plow setup when lifted. My only concern is that my Bronco is all stock and if I put those springs in I am afraid the front end would be higher than the back whenever the plow isn't on the truck, which would be 98% of the time. Also, I only have the single shock in the front, if I do put the F250 springs do I need to replace the stock grade shock as well?
I have a 90 Bronco XLT that replaced my 89 Bronco I had bought with the meyers poly plow setup. I just transfered it to the 90 but added F250 front springs to handle the extra weight. Yes it did pick up the front a little bit but nothing that dramatic. Once I added the plow though it held a level ride nicely. I have the air bags also but never installed them because the F250 springs worked out so nicely. [See my sig below] Anyway, the ride was a bit stiffer without the plow but nothing that would shatter your teeth when you hit a bump. If you go with a commercial or one of those monster Curtis setups, you will most likely need at least the F250 springs with the airbags IMO.
EzPc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!