OBD 1 Tuning? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Mad Dog Tannen

Bronco Info: 89, 351, C6.
OBD 1 Tuning?

I have an 89 Bronco XLT with a 351 and I want to tune the ECU.

What are the ways I can do this? A aftermartket ECU? Just a programmable chip?

I know that I cannot flash it.

What do you use? and what brand?

I did search for the answer, but with no results.
Mad Dog Tannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
broncoaction94

Bronco Info: 94 4in deaver springs, auburn ected, chiped, tb spacer,sititn on 35's
not sure if its the same but i chipped mine with a jet chip from summit. mine is obd1 but a 94 so i'm not sure if its the same. i got mine from summit and i love it. easy to install and noticeable power gains
broncoaction94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
SigEpBlue
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
That's not really tuning, but a similar hardware interface is usually used on the EEC-IV.

Check out moates.net, and look at the J3, F3, and QuarterHorse. Those are currently the state-of-the-art for DIY aftermarket tuning solutions, IMO. However, you MUST have a PCM that is supported by the software required to run these hardwares!!! So check with the websites for the latest supported PCMs and strategies FIRST. If yours isn't, you'll either have to write one yourself, or convince someone else to write one for you; I won't, because honestly I don't have the time for it. In OP's case, it's probably easiest to change over to a well-supported PCM like an A9L for MAF, or a C3Px/ICYx Lightning PCM.

Before doing any of that crap, why do you need tuning capability?
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
SigEpBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
JohnMcD348
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
I've wondered if there was really any benefit from programmer like tuning units in our older vehicles. I figure that the older OBD1 and even the older OBD2 units that were not so heavily controlled by computers were easier to tune by hand and basic mechanics tools. Again, I'm kinda new to these units that have even the basic controls that are the OBD systems. I mean, with our trucks, we can set the timing, upgrade components and make adjustments as we need too. Now in my newer OBD2(CanBus) system in the Ram, I have a programmer that makes adjustments to all those things since I don't have a distributor or anything now.

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
JohnMcD348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech