351W Engine Build - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
TahoeJoeCool

Bronco Info: 1984 351W C6
351W Engine Build

As I have stated before, I am new to Ford engines.

My 1984 351W HO is running fine at this time but I like to buy rebuild and peformance parts over time, so my wallet doesn't seem as light all at once. :)

I have a few questions.

1. GT40 heads on a 351...they need some bolt hole enlargement right? is that all?

2. Any Edelbrock intakes that will fit a 351w with GT40 heads? Or is the stock 4 bbl one any good?

3. I had an Edel 1406 carb on my old IROC and loved it. I will probably go with one of these again. Not a huge Holley fan. Guess this isn't a question really. Just a statement.

4. Camshaft? I hear stock is ok, but wouldn't mind upgrade. Not racing the truck, so I would like a decent idle, low rpm power. Dont feel the need to turn 6k rpms

5. I will be doing free-flowing exhaust of course and probably electric fans.

I know internet engine buildings horsepower numbers is dumb, but could this build be 250 275 hp 330 350 tq?

Thanks guys

84 Bronco 351W HO C6
Runs and Drives total investment $0.00
TahoeJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
TahoeJoeCool

Bronco Info: 1984 351W C6
anyone?

84 Bronco 351W HO C6
Runs and Drives total investment $0.00
TahoeJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
joerickson

Bronco Info: 1978 F150 Shortbed
I would look into a 393 stroker kit. Fairly cheap build and get some pretty good hp for cheap.
joerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
javaguy1978

Bronco Info: 1984 XLT, 5.8L V8, C6, Stock
HELP!

I'm trying to put an Edelbrock 1406 on my 351W, and have run into a problem. The throttle linkage hits some sort of exhaust redirect thing. See the pictures:

Goes in right here, on the right side of the carb

Looks like this when removed

The blue thing on the right

So my question, What is this and can I just cover the vent with a plate and ignore it? The throttle linkage hits this bugger and won't allow me to finish installing the carb.

It's got something to do with California emissions, but the truck was bought and has lived in Utah it's entire life... so - I don't know what to do.

Please help.
javaguy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Rmed345

Bronco Info: 84 xlt 302 c6
You can get a plate to cover it up from summit. It is called an efe valve and came on the ho motors.
Rmed345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
DGW1949

Bronco Info: 1989 4X4 351W C-6 3.54/3.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoeCool View Post
As I have stated before, I am new to Ford engines.

My 1984 351W HO is running fine at this time but I like to buy rebuild and peformance parts over time, so my wallet doesn't seem as light all at once. :)

I have a few questions.

1. GT40 heads on a 351...they need some bolt hole enlargement right? is that all?

2. Any Edelbrock intakes that will fit a 351w with GT40 heads? Or is the stock 4 bbl one any good?

3. I had an Edel 1406 carb on my old IROC and loved it. I will probably go with one of these again. Not a huge Holley fan. Guess this isn't a question really. Just a statement.

4. Camshaft? I hear stock is ok, but wouldn't mind upgrade. Not racing the truck, so I would like a decent idle, low rpm power. Dont feel the need to turn 6k rpms

5. I will be doing free-flowing exhaust of course and probably electric fans.

I know internet engine buildings horsepower numbers is dumb, but could this build be 250 275 hp 330 350 tq?

Thanks guys

You're on the right track with the GT-40 heads.
Try to find a set that hasn't been excessively milled, or modified on someone's kitchen table.
I like using harden headbolt washers.

Emmisions are a fact of life these days, so when picking an intake, don't forget that it'll need to be compatable with Ford's goofy carb spacer/ EGR valve set up.
As far as "Edelbrock intakes" go, their Performer is no better than your Iron HO intake. Either will need port-matched to the larger GT heads. A Performer RPM would be ideal IF they offer an EGR compatable version for your truck.
And bear in mind that a heavy, realatively low-RPM truck needs a 180-type, dual plane intake. You can further note that that same thinking should be applied to any sort of aftermarket spacer that you may install. An "open" spacer like the one on javaguy 1978's engine is not what you want here.

I'm with you on the Edelbrock/AFB carb thing. The only time I've used a stinkin' Holley was when I had to, due to stock-class rules that I was dealing with at the time.
A 600 CFM carb is more than adequate on a 350-ish street motor.

Camshaft selection?....My suggestion there is always to contact a knowlagable cam company, give them all the revelant details they ask for and go with whatever they recomend. 90% of the time, you'll find that what they suggest will be much milder than what you'd have guessed but don't let that bother you. Them guys are perty-smart.

Exhaust?....yeah, what goes in has to come out.
2-1/4" duals, or a 2-1/4" Y into a 3" collecter works good on a the 351W's that I've been involved with.
I aint big on headers for street use because I've found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
An electric fan aint going to free-up enough engine power to even notice on a truck that weighs 4500+ pounds.

A properly built/tuned engine like you are planning will certainly reach the power fiqures you quoted.

Hope this helps.

DGW
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Rmed345

Bronco Info: 84 xlt 302 c6
Im actually building almost the same thing that you are describing. 97 351 gt40 iron heads using a mustang ho cam Weiand stealth dual plane intake, Had an afb carb but housing cracked so im running a summit 600 carb. Should be done with the build by next week.
Rmed345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
oght6

Bronco Info: 1991 EB
I am about to rebuild mine as well. what are the capabilities of stock 351W heads? would it be worth porting and polishing those instead of switching to gt40 heads?
oght6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
TS 90F150

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oght6 View Post
I am about to rebuild mine as well. what are the capabilities of stock 351W heads? would it be worth porting and polishing those instead of switching to gt40 heads?
In my opinion no. If you are gonna spend any money on rebuilding the E7 heads the same money could either go towards new aluminum heads. Used aluminum heads in good shape or GT40 irons needing work. The work would cost the same, so all you will be is out the price of the heads.

But you do know how opinions are don't you!

tim
TS 90F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
oght6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 90F150 View Post
In my opinion no. If you are gonna spend any money on rebuilding the E7 heads the same money could either go towards new aluminum heads. Used aluminum heads in good shape or GT40 irons needing work. The work would cost the same, so all you will be is out the price of the heads.

But you do know how opinions are don't you!

tim
Thanks for the reply Tim. I am pretty sure Ill be going the GT40 irons route....not a big fan of iron block and alum heads combos.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
TS 90F150

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Tim. I am pretty sure Ill be going the GT40 irons route....not a big fan of iron block and alum heads combos.
I junkyard hopped with my dad a week or so ago. I saw some explorers with GT40 irons and GT40Ps. Since you have a 351 I'd stay away from the Ps due to potential header issues. Some of these places were the U-pull it type yards. I didn't price the heads, but my understanding is these places are extremely reasonable for items like this.

My point is the GT40 iron heads are still out there. If you are gonna rebuild your engine, you won't put the old heads back on without a refresh anyway, so for a little time and hopefully money, you would be refreshening a better head.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tim
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
oght6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 90F150 View Post
I junkyard hopped with my dad a week or so ago. I saw some explorers with GT40 irons and GT40Ps. Since you have a 351 I'd stay away from the Ps due to potential header issues. Some of these places were the U-pull it type yards. I didn't price the heads, but my understanding is these places are extremely reasonable for items like this.

My point is the GT40 iron heads are still out there. If you are gonna rebuild your engine, you won't put the old heads back on without a refresh anyway, so for a little time and hopefully money, you would be refreshening a better head.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tim
Yeah there is a U-Pull it place about 30 mins away from my place I am gonna give em a call and see if they got anything on the yard.... What are the year models that I am looking for, or whats the best way to tell a GT40 from a GT40p head? part number difference or something visible?
Thanks again.
2001 Mustang GT
2003 Buell Firebolt
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
TS 90F150

Quote:
Yeah there is a U-Pull it place about 30 mins away from my place I am gonna give em a call and see if they got anything on the yard.... What are the year models that I am looking for, or whats the best way to tell a GT40 from a GT40p head? part number difference or something visible?
Thanks again.
I believe 96-97 explorers and mountaineers have the regular GT40s. The 97.5-up ones have the p heads. If you search on here or the corral.net you can find pics of both. I think on here has a good thread visually comparing the two. I can't tell the difference between years of explorers but it may be an easy task?

The regular GT40 has three vertical bars on the ends. They also say GT on them, I think under the valve cover somewhere.

The GT40p heads have 4 vertical bars on the ends. I actually was able to see these pretty easily on the explorers in the yards even with the accessories on them. Look closely though as a 4 bar one first looked like three bars. These say GTP on them in a similar place as the regulars say GT.

The Ps have a different sparkplug angle. I have never paid any attention to that, but think they come straight out.

I run GT40X heads on mine, but thought about grabbing a set of the regular GT40s for a mustang project or just to have. I didn't though. Not yet anyway.

tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!