Ignition Key Won't Turn/Steering Wheel Locked...Help ASAP! - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
roushstage2

Bronco Info: 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4 - 5.0L H.O. 1986 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 - 5.8L H.O.
Exclamation Ignition Key Won't Turn/Steering Wheel Locked...Help ASAP!

*Since I can't post in the 80-86 section...* I've looked and cannot find a similar thread on here...

Out of the blue, the key will not turn in the ignition, at all. The steering wheel will not turn, at all. This just happened today. It was driven yesterday. My G/F, who drive the Bronco, said the key did start to get hard to turn. I pulled down on the gear select lever a bit towards reverse, neutral and so on, and it will actually came out of gear and start to roll. If I let off and tap it up towards park again, it rolls forward an inch or two, then "parks" again.

A "history" lesson about it: a few years ago, it had to go to the shop for U-Joints as I didn't have the time to fix them myself. At the time, the guy said there was a screw that was loose in the steering column that was loose and if it came out, it would cause the column to lock up. I'm not sure what exactly that relates to, but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyways, here's the current deal with it: the steering column is like 2-pieces, but it is not a tilt wheel? You can grab the steering wheel though, and it has quite a bit of play. You can move the steering wheel up, down, left, right...360 and it will move from the "center" position probably 1/2" or more. The whole column will move too in the same fashion. It's like it is a tilt column, but with no tilt lever. If I turn the wheel left and right, there is a pronounced...clicking noise coming from the column.

I need to get this thing fixed ASAP as my F150 is already out of commission ATM too. I believe I mentioned everything that I can think of...

Thanks all!!
roushstage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
klutchjockey

Well this is just a guess but it sounds like either the loose bolt being under the column that mounts it to the dash or there is some bearings that are horribly bad in the column. I think if it were the bearings you would have noticed it before but if it was a loose bolt it should have hit you in the leg when it fell. Get under there and have you GF move the column around and see whats moving.
klutchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
redrob

Bronco Info: 1990 FSB 351 E4OD Now converted to a (C6) Saginaw swap
Might try to jack the front off the ground to free the steering up. If it is binded it'll release the steering
redrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
If the key started to get hard to turn its a 99% chance the Ignition Actuator broke. here is a write up on it and the column for you.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70454
Im pretty sure all bronco columns are tilt there is no separate arm for it, you push your blinker arm forward.
Here is a pic of it, it cost about 12 bucks
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  2.0 KB

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
roushstage2

Bronco Info: 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4 - 5.0L H.O. 1986 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 - 5.8L H.O.
Well, that just looks like crazy fun right there. I might as well just replace the ignition switch and cylinder while I'm at it since they are only $10 a pop too. Question: since I can't turn the cylinder, how am I going to get it to the "ON" position? Use pliers and manually pull the rod?

Thank you!!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
roushstage2

I got all of the new parts yesterday, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
Question: since I can't turn the cylinder, how am I going to get it to the "ON" position? Use pliers and manually pull the rod?
Bump for this.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
roushstage2

So...
The ignition actuator was just fine. The cylinder was what broke. I ended up breaking the actuator, however, trying to get the cylinder out so it could be drilled. New actuator and new cylinder and the Bronco is alive again! Thanks for the write-up!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
imlikeojnow
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
If the key started to get hard to turn its a 99% chance the Ignition Actuator broke. here is a write up on it and the column for you.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70454
Im pretty sure all bronco columns are tilt there is no separate arm for it, you push your blinker arm forward.
Here is a pic of it, it cost about 12 bucks
Attachment 15375
Not all broncos have tilt steering wheels. mine doesnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
imlikeojnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!